2393 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

Hey videohivers,

I kinda feel like this is a topic everyone knows about, but either everyone accepts it or refuses to raise a word.

I’m talking about stealing ideas. I know good artists copy, great artists steal. But I feel ashamed how projects pop up that are just the same like the best selling file in the last three months.

Today I’ve seen a broadcast channel pack with the same style and even the same music than one of the best selling broadcast packs. Some weeks ago you could buy the ending of Sherlock Holmes here at videohive (I have to admit the quality was excellent).

This happened to be a typical videohive problem and is present for a long time. I just cannot give much respect for the authors who upload essentially the same project as another one.

But who am I to speak about this? I copy, too, we all do. Get inspired does today almost always mean to see something beautiful and try to recreate it.

But for me it’s a different thing if you want to make something similiar and create your own interpretation of something or taking the brilliant idea and try to make money out of it.

We are all here to make money and I focus on what sells, I think most of us do.

I would like to hear your opinion on these. But now I’m taking my DSLR and film a tree with some photograph-placeholders, got that idea overnight. Not bad, huh?

511 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
5p1r17 says
But now I’m taking my DSLR and film a tree with some photograph-placeholders, got that idea overnight.

ahahaaha :bigsmile: best one! ;)

1817 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
Mocarg Moderator says

But now I’m taking my DSLR and film a tree with some photograph-placeholders, got that idea overnight.

+1 i was just thinkig this the other day is this a copy or not…

124 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
lenerway says

Thank you for your honest self-criticism. Appreciate really. Envato should do something about it. I try to do my best for making unique projects. But this morning when I took a break and went out for taking some air I realized a very very beautiful tree.I mean really beautiful. I coudn’t resist :)

+9 more
Creattive says

Actually I don’t think envato should do something about this. It is more of an ethical question than a legal one.

Also I don’t want my phototree to be rejected, give me some pieces of the cake too!

159 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+11 more
CarlB says

I would be lying if I said the ending titles of Sherlock Holmes weren’t the guideline and inspiration for the file I believe you mention. However, they did not came up with ink revealing stuff! Ink & Paper is a returning theme for my files in VH, from before Sherlock Holmes screened here in Spain (look at my avatar! Hasn’t changed since I started!). When it did I was baffled by the credits, and no wonder, I tried to replicate them to my best of my capacities. It took me years to come up with a method! It was kind of a challenge for me, and when I had an idea that allowed me to do it, I had a lot of doubts about uploading it to VH for the reason you mention.

I had mixed feelings. I wanted to sell the effect of ink stains revealing pictures, not a perfect replica of the film titles. The method and not the feel. With that purpose I tried to stay away from referencing the movie with the sample videos or the texts. But I could not resist upon finding a music track that followed that style I was trying to avoid (sounded too good!).

There is a fine line and I did my best to stay in the good side,.. and that’s the story.

131 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
maupa says

I think it is the same author. (Check the comments)

Apple created the Iphone and the Ipad. Amazon, Samsung and all others created some bad copies. Here on videohive we have the same situation. :) maupa

+9 more
Creattive says

hey CarlB, actually I wasn’t talking about your file, though I kinda feel the same about your project.

No, I was referring to a template that was called “vintage opener” I guess and was removed from the marketplace after 24-48 hours.

+9 more
Creattive says

I think it is the same author. (Check the comments)

Apple created the Iphone and the Ipad. Amazon, Samsung and all others created some bad copies. Here on videohive we have the same situation. :) maupa

well I don’t like this comparison, since Apple sells overpriced hardware and runs a policy to declare their buyers what to do and what not with the product. Samsung maybe copies some ideas but makes an overall different product with which you can decide what to do and buy something else with the rest of the money… In this scenario, I see more of an evolution than a simple steal, what I was talking about in first post. We all do copy, that’s how things are going. It’s just the question how shameless you do it.

778 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
GrizzleFX says

Personally I would never intentionally copy another author’s work or even their idea, but I enjoy the challenge of uploading new files more than actually making money. I like getting feedback from fellow authors and staff, if I created a copies then all the feedback I get would be useless.

I do however have a few projects like my “Dark City” project which is inspired by a scene from the “Dark Knight Rises” trailer. When I saw that trailer I was so amazed by that shot that I had to try to recreate it in After Effects. This situation was very similar to Carl’s; I wanted to challenge myself.

Conclusion in my opinion:

Copying authors = bad

Inspiration from films etc = acceptable.

by
by
by
by
by
by