578 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years Has referred 1+ members Located in Australia Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+6 more
ryan says

Hi all!

I must confess when I was a kid growing up I didn’t buy many CDs, I spent most of my time listening to Demoscene music (hey, it was free!). Funnily enough one of the larger sites still exists:

http://modarchive.org/

Anyone remember the days of ScreamTracker and ExtremeTracker and whatnot? :)

I managed to track down a player for OS X that works reasonably well:

http://ximplemod.sourceforge.net/

It’s a bit buggy but plays most of my stuff, I can’t recall what I used to use under windows but it was super solid and would play everything.

Anyway, who else is/was into it? :)

496 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
JType says

Well, my first ever compositions as a young child were done on OctaMed on the Amiga, so I still have a lot of love for those trackers..

Thanks for the link, I had forgotten about that site. :)

2667 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Joined an Envato Football competition Attended one of our Meetups around the world Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Oh happy days! :) I used to create audio for a couple of groups on the Atari ST demo scene. That’s how I first got into audio production! Thank goodness technology moved along quickly enough that we weren’t restricted to 4-channel audio forever! I used to use Noizetracker which I think was a port from the Amiga. Anyone remember the Monster Sound Cartridge on the Atari ST?! :) I used ScreamTracker when I moved from the ST to the PC, Ryan. I think we’re showing our age now. ;)

7 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
Robb_Walker says

As a kid I was at the letterbox every morning waiting for the postman to deliver the jiffy bag full of demo disks ordered from the PD library, ahh happy days….

I still browse through my demo collection using Steem and WinUAE (Atari and Amiga emulators) when I am feeling nostalgic….

461 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
Solidbeats Envato team says

that’s how i started out, 13 years ago with a tracker called Fasttracker :)

15 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
jladuke says

This is also how I started back in 1995. MOD files, S3M files, and IT files!

I actually loaded up ImpulseTracker the other day just to experiment with my new knowledge in an older application.

It was loads of fun.

578 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years Has referred 1+ members Located in Australia Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+6 more
ryan says
This is also how I started back in 1995. MOD files, S3M files, and IT files!

I actually loaded up ImpulseTracker the other day just to experiment with my new knowledge in an older application.

It was loads of fun.

Certainly a lot of audio apps become a whole lot more complicated… I remember loading up Logic Express 5 a few years ago and going ‘whaaat?’.

I bought it to sequence a hardware synth I bought (Novation KS4 ) but ended up hardly writing anything on it, I was way more productive on my crappy and limited Korg EM1 .

I reckon the simplicity of ScreamTracker very awesome, I had a whole lot of fun making junk in that when I was 15 ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by