1423 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
lucafrancini Envato team says

In the next months I think I’ll start to record some sfx to upload here on AJ and I was wondering if it’s better if I create another profile just for them. I don’t really like the idea of managing two pages but, on the other hand, it would be painful for a customer browsing my portfolio. But it’s also true that a customer can find an item using the search function and maybe he doesn’t care about the profile page. Any Suggestions? :)

731 posts
  • Located in Poland
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

It depends on how much SFX you’ll upload. If much more than music, then better separate them if you want to be recognized as musician. In other case you must count on search generated music sales only.

1423 posts
+9 more

Yes I have to think about it :|

812 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+4 more
delgibbons says

I’m thinking of having an exclusive main music account and a separate non exclusive and sfx only account.

Not for a while though….I still see myself as a newbie! :D

993 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Kurlykovs says

There was a similar question to this one not too long ago. And my answer was Keep one profile build up a name. And just make an SFX category in your profile and that’s it.

953 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
JBlanks says

I just did exactly that Luca – I had a bunch of fresh logo & idents that I wanted to bundle together in groups of 10 and sell them as logo packs through my main account. I was told that logos+idents (as opposed to sound packs) have to be individually uploaded before they can be sold as a pack – just like with music.

I didn’t want to clog my portfolio with what will eventually be hundreds of separate logos and idents so I decided to make a second account purely for that function. That’s really the only reason I adopted that approach. I’ve got at least 40 of them already made and when I have less time than I’d like to compose a track, I can always make more of the idents etc and keep output consistent.

One of the minor advantages is that when uploading music and sfx at the same time, or if they happen to land on the site at the same time after approval, the music item isn’t shunted off the front page by your own sfx track, both icons can exist at the same time. Not that being on front page is all that important, but better to be shunted off it by another composer, and not your own logo and sfx.

I’m doing a lot of non-music related work at present so composing new material has slowed for the time being and putting out logos and idents regularly is a good way to maintain output for the time being.

I’ve just started with this approach so nothing much to report yet, but I don’t see the downside in separating the two genres with two profiles, other than having to log in and out of two accounts which isn’t such a big deal.

1423 posts
+9 more

Thank you all for your thoughts :)

585 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
NoizMan says

I didn’t want to clog my portfolio with what will eventually be hundreds of separate logos and idents so I decided to make a second account purely for that function.

+1 I was thinking the same.

2213 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

It seems reasonable to separate different segments of portfolio for better representation and branding, but imho it is very time-consuming to maintain more than one accounts/profiles.

Although I am known as “the sfx guy”, I also have some logos and music in my portfolio which are drowned in the sea of sfx.

This was the reason why I requested addition to our portfolio page a couple of times in past – but it always was in vain, as almost nobody ever took interest. What was it that I suggested? I just proposed that every portfolio page gets a breakdown list by categories (in right column), just like the one that’s available on search result pages or browse-by-categories page (http://audiojungle.net/category/all ).

Imho that would help a lot and it seems like a minor addition, I wonder why it doesn’t exist already.

1423 posts
+9 more

That would be a very nice idea, Urbazon ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by