• Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
LucaFormicola says

It’s time to ask something very important for me:

I’m from Italy and I work as musician, or, I try, with a lot of problems. Here in South italy, it’s all so narrow-minded that is impossibile to grow as artist, the best you can achieve is to take part of a cover band (a lot of Tribute bands..) investing hundreads of euro for 40 50euro per live, or create you own project but almost all clubs don’t want unreleased music, and if you join a Festival, is, of course, without any payment.

And I don’t want to talk about “quality of life” cause I feel ashamed.

I’m planning to leave this place and try a long, or short experience in another city of Europe. I’m ready to find a job to sustain, but with the awareness that music is seen with respect and not just as hobby. I’m reporting a lot about the most important cities in Europe, London, Berlin, Paris, but it’s also recomended to consider also other cities, cheaper, not so much crowded.. so..help me..I think Aj could be the right place to ask this kind of suggestion.. Hope you can help me, and thank you so much for your time ;)

1545 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
SoundFix says

Amsterdam has a pretty cool music scene from my experience. I haven’t been to many other European cities. I am personally planning to move to London within the next 2 years and I would definitely say it has an awesome music scene. Every band that comes to England will at least play London. Lot’s of film, media, music stuff going on there too for aspiring composers :) But like you said, London is very crowded, but I like that. :)

701 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
LucaFormicola says

Wow, in these last weeks I was really impressed by Amsterdam and that’s the first choiche for the time being. About England I’m attracted by Brighton..can you say something more about it?

1545 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
SoundFix says

Wow, in these last weeks I was really impressed by Amsterdam and that’s the first choiche for the time being. About England I’m attracted by Brighton..can you say something more about it?

I’m not surprised, it’s a lovely chilled out city, which is really fun to ride bikes around! ha.

Ah yeah I really like Brighton, great music scene too, lovely seaside. I can’t tell you much more, but I’ve been there several times just because it’s a nice place to walk around. I’m not sure how much is going on there in terms of multimedia/film companies etc though. Google can help you out there :)

701 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
LucaFormicola says

Thanks ;) I’ll google it..

701 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
LucaFormicola says

Some other suggestions?

565 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Coriiander says

There’s TONS of musicians here in The Netherlands and we are certainly not narrow-minded. You will find countless gigs all over the country, medium and huge festivals in about all the music styles you can think, not even counting the mini-gigs in all the local pubs. That certainly is plenty. People are passionate about it, but then again it also matters to what type of people you talk to. Really, I could be visiting 2 partys/gigs per day, 365 days per year, if I really wanted to. And that’s probably just within 1 or 2 music-styles :)

But make a living out of it? I doubt so. The Netherlands rather gives their money to Greece, to playing USA’s lapdog on supporting their military missions, to huge bonusses for managers, to design-hats for our queen, etc. The money-flow towards cultural & artistic things has been closed to a great extend. Local TV stations rather buy cheap stuff on stock-sites like this one, instead of hiring a local expensive composer.

254 posts God always geometrizes
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
kristijanf says

Amsterdam, Praque, Hamburg…Barcelona maybe

273 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
JumaStudios says

I’ve been living in Dubai for about 3 years. Don’t want to be disrespectful to that place but maaaaan that was some narrow minded music stage. I was teaching music and playing in the national philharmonic there. Tried my best to form a band and do something but nothing came out. They did pay insane amounts of money for short gigs…playing either jazz standards or classical music. Not so much creativity in the process…

Now I moved to Germany (my wife is from here) since about 1 year. I totally love it. I live in a medium size city. Besides teaching, I play in 2 established bands and collaborate for different gigs with others. First 2-3 months were quite hard but after I made some connections, things began to flow soooo good. There is a stage for any kind of music and any kind of music is totally appreciated. In Germany I easily found people to share musical ideas with and work on lots of projects.

Another way of making some good money and get creative was to get in touch with theater people. It always works. Just went on the site of the local theater company, found an email adress, submitted some of my previous works and within some weeks I was contacted and asked if I can come up with some music for a show.

So…I totally recommend Germany…I wouldn’t recommend the bigger cities though. Maybe for later. Regarding language, of course its always nice when you speak it at least on a small conversational level but in this line of bussiness…english works great. As a teacher I even had more students because people wanted to practice also their language skills :)

And as a last piece of advice…Don’t feel shy on doing research, get in touch with people, write emails, ask questions, send your music,etc.

Hope it helped a little bit at least. Best of luck and do let us know about how things work out

905 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
Kurlykovs says

Dubai!... That is where I lived for a very long time. not 3 years not 5 not even 10 but 14+, I got to agree with you it has a narrow minded music stage, but you can make money there from music. Being from a European descent. Just playing in a hotel lobby could get you a lot of money. I’ve never did that, but there were things like battle of the bands where local rock bands competed against each other. Finding a drummer for me as a kid was the hardest thing to do though he he :)

by
by
by
by
by
by