205 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
TJMusic says

I definitely appreciate the possibilities of the Envato API, and ‘recent-sales’ method in particular. It’s very useful to be able to download the sales information and do any analysis on my own I like.

But there is still an important thing missing that affects my conversion analysis – I cannot connect my sales with the traffic I bring to my portfolio. I don’t need anything big, like cookies or fingerprints. Just the IP address would do.

Is it possible to include the IP address of the customer in recent-sales API? Or, if even this is too much customer information to be revealed, maybe just the MD5 of customer’s IP? So I could only match the IP if I’ve already got it tracked in my own system.

516 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
SiliconWorldAD says

I definitely appreciate the possibilities of the Envato API, and ‘recent-sales’ method in particular. It’s very useful to be able to download the sales information and do any analysis on my own I like.

But there is still an important thing missing that affects my conversion analysis – I cannot connect my sales with the traffic I bring to my portfolio. I don’t need anything big, like cookies or fingerprints. Just the IP address would do.

Is it possible to include the IP address of the customer in recent-sales API? Or, if even this is too much customer information to be revealed, maybe just the MD5 of customer’s IP? So I could only match the IP if I’ve already got it tracked in my own system.

Yeah that’s not going to happen, IP address is too private because you can use it to track the location of a computer’s router, which with a common household pretty much gives you the address of the buyer.

205 posts
+3 more
TJMusic says

But I easily know the IP of every visitor to my page, with any pixel tracking system. IP address is not a private or secret thing – everybody using the internet should know that their IP address is openly revealed to the site they connect with.

Maybe there is a different thing with buyers, so they could be treated more carefully than normal visitors, but still, the conversion tracking is essential for successful e-commerce, and people use worse things everywhere – cookies, flash cookies, and many other sophisticated techniques to track anybody even if they try to block this.

So just showing the IP address or even its MD5 checksum is really benign in comparison. Additionally, it’s not that bad for authors to know the buyers, but it’s a completely different issue out of the scope of this thread.

516 posts
SiliconWorldAD says

But I easily know the IP of every visitor to my page, with any pixel tracking system. IP address is not a private or secret thing – everybody using the internet should know that their IP address is openly revealed to the site they connect with.

Yes it’s revealed to the site data that’s collected automatically and often times high up administrators, not to any random person. I’ve never had a reason to know the address of someone who buys more “virtual” goods. I can guarantee some buyers would be annoyed or freaked out if suddenly they found out every member on the site could track down where they live.

205 posts
+3 more
TJMusic says

The API mentioned above, ‘recent-sales’, is not available to a random person. It requires the API key and shows only data related to sales of the owner of the API key. So let’s not exagerrate with having it available to every member. Also, it might be just IP MD5 or perhaps last 2 bytes of the address, enough to match the advertising chain.

And there’s no point freaking out about revealing the IP – if I posted just an image in this thread, I could know your IP for example. Internet is the least anonymous way of communication, in opposite what some people might think.

Definitely there is no reason to know the address of the buyer, but there is a big reason to create a complete chain from the advertisement media to the purchase. We cannot achieve much without advertising, and it’s impossible to efficiently advertise without measuring conversion rate for each advertising medium used. The competition is too tough to be number 1 on all possible advertising channels and still earn for the costs.

So any suggestions how to measure the conversion without IP address? I’d say cookies are worse, and anyway AudioJungle cannot see my cookies because it’s a different domain.

Well, there is actually the way that might work, but it would require some additional development on the marketplace side. Much more work that just including the IP in the API data. Let’s say, that the author could add a specific parameter in the URL, just like already existing ref= parameter for referrals. So I would add to my portfolio links a parameter, something like ad_channel_id=12345678. If there was a sale from a user who came through this sort of link, the ad_channel_id would be available in ‘recent-sales’ report for this sale. This would be enough to track sales properly without revealing the IP address, but it’s quite a big feature to implement in the marketplace. Also, the old sales could not be matched back this way, only the new sales after implementing this feature.

516 posts
SiliconWorldAD says

Anyone can set up and account and get an API key, Envato is not going to make it that easy to track people’s addresses. If you want to know the general location of where people buy from just ask Envato to construct a world map that adds a rand dot in whatever flag is associated with profile a buyer from your product.

205 posts
+3 more
TJMusic says

With your API key you cannot get details of my sales. Did you ever use the API anyway? And I’m not interested in buyers locations, but with connecting ads with sales to calculate their conversions. If you’re not an Envato dev, and not interested in the feature I’m talking about, go away from this thread or I’ll report you to the support for spamming.

516 posts
SiliconWorldAD says

With your API key you cannot get details of my sales. Did you ever use the API anyway? And I’m not interested in buyers locations, but with connecting ads with sales to calculate their conversions. If you’re not an Envato dev, and not interested in the feature I’m talking about, go away from this thread or I’ll report you to the support for spamming.

I use API and I track my views and stats and am of course interested in improving it, but I definitely wouldn’t want to sacrifice my privacy by allowing random members to be able to find anything about my personal address without my consent, plain and simple as that.

by
by
by
by
by
by