40 posts
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
indiapart says

Just out of curiosity: I just built in the Envato_Marketplace.php (from the authors recources) to check for purchase verification, and the next day – a buyer asks about a curl error because his hoster obviously doesn’t allow curl or didn’t install it. This one case doesn’t worry me much, but if just the next day I get this question I’m expecting a bunch more of this support issues. You all just tell the buyer to contact the hoster? What if the hoster won’t activate, though? Will result in many negative ratings… Use file_get_contents()? Not the best solution. I’m thinking about remove the purchase verification again… =(

Best regards, indiapart.

2004 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
function_exists('curl_init');
40 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
indiapart says
LandonWilson said
function_exists('curl_init');

:D Yeah. But obviously, if curl is not active, this would prevent the theme from output an error – but if curl doesn’t exist, I am not able to do a proper purchase key verification – and if I’m not able to do so the Theme will not work, too. So either this is no solution or I don’t see something.

Best regards, indiapart.

80 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
dpthemes says

I would just remove the purchase verification, it just complicates things for honest buyers. Say they are installing it on a machine without internet or if your server is down it will just cause errors. The verification could probably be easily removed if someone wanted to and it could then be shared.

40 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
indiapart says
dpthemes said
I would just remove the purchase verification, it just complicates things for honest buyers. Say they are installing it on a machine without internet or if your server is down it will just cause errors. The verification could probably be easily removed if someone wanted to and it could then be shared.

Yes, I think, too. But I believe a reviewer once told me (I’m not absolutely sure I’ve understood him correctly as my English obviously isn’t that good ;) ) that a Theme can only reach maximum cost (it was in WordPress case and maximum was like 35$) if it verificates the purchase, which was my main reason to do the verification…

Best regards, indiapart.

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
indiapart said
dpthemes said

Yes, I think, too. But I believe a reviewer once told me (I’m not absolutely sure I’ve understood him correctly as my English obviously isn’t that good ;) ) that a Theme can only reach maximum cost (it was in WordPress case and maximum was like 35$) if it verificates the purchase, which was my main reason to do the verification…

Best regards, indiapart.

I think you probably misunderstood, as far as I know a verification system has no bearing on how the product is priced – there’s no added value from a customer perspective, so why would they be charged more? :)

I think Envato actually encourages you NOT to do verification unless it is very relaxed, as it can really deter legitimate buyers. There are many themes that sell for $35 without verification. I think purchase verification within the theme is the exception and not the rule.

by
by
by
by
by
by