• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Beta Tester
+3 more
majd_abdul says

I’m following some of the recent critique threads ( ex: vuzum), and I must admit it’s an enriching experience to read what all kinds of designers have to say about one’s work.

Right now I’m working on some branding for myself ( logo , site ,etc… ).

So… I’d like to put my work-in-progress up for some constructive criticism. Check it out here:

http://www.freewebs.com/majdabdul/Brand/index.html

It’s basically a calligraphic representation of my name, in blue MAJD and in orange ABDULQADIR . Two different styles of arabic calligraphy are used to seperate the private name from the family name. On the left side you can see an intro animation.

What do you think?

1612 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+5 more
DaniMun says

The graphics look nice and clean. You might consider adding a more intense gradient on the blue shape. Just a thought :)

62 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
Interavtive74 says

Looks pretty elegant to me.

806 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Lebanon
  • Exclusive Author
MoeHaydar says

I have to tell you its hard to tell its ABDUlQADR “D” and “R” ma wadhin ;)

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

What is the target for the logo?
I don’t know nothing about arabic language/symbols… so i can’t figure out what is representing, defines or says… it’s just an arabic symbol and a strange square :)

45 posts
  • Italy
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
MS-Design says
What is the target for the logo?
I don’t know nothing about arabic language/symbols… so i can’t figure out what is representing, defines or says… it’s just an arabic symbol and a strange square :)

same for me …but it’s elegant !sure

ps:@ wickedpixel sei il primo italiano che trovo

97 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
magillu says

i’m not a template designer here on fd, but i do work with branding design so this is my 2 cents: for logos like this, you should try to stay near thicker and more solid shapes versus something as thin as this. if you size it down tremendous amounts to fit next to your name or a business card or any branding merch (like pens for example) it will be unrecognizable. also, generally your logo should reflect your service just as much as it represents you as a person. using your initials is great, but i think you should focus more on what you offer that someone else in your field does not and reflect that in your logo.

regarding the colors you chose – are you trying to leave a message by using complementary colors (orange & blue)? if so, you might want to accentuate that more. right now it feels like you chose the colors blindly. blue tends to be seen as a solid, reliable color while orange stands more for exuberance, drama and is sometimes seen as child-like. they’re complete opposites.

you might want to think about making a version of your logo with 2 solid non-gradient colors for when you print your logo on pieces that require a lot of duplication (like business cards or flyers). using gradients can be trouble because printing it gets a lot more costly.

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says
ps:@ wickedpixel sei il primo italiano che trovo

Come come?

:-)

905 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United States
unchartedrealms says

I really like the color version of the logo the way it kind of glows..I think it could be the focal point of a minimal design portfolio online. I really think a good balance of form is in frame 2 of the animation. {(it would look good small on frame 2.) Im not sure what the symbols mean but the final form is a bit long making it harder to use in many cases such as a header ect.. Please show us any new versions. it is fun

715 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+3 more
majd_abdul says

WOW ! Got some fine critiques there. Thanks alot people.

Check out the original link again. You can MouseOver parts of the static logo to see what each letter means.

First off, a little about the arabic script used; the blue part is written in Square Kufic Script bound with a box and tilted 45 degrees. The second part is written in a very loose Deewani Script, which like SimplyDo stated didn’t turn out well…

I intend to use this as an intro only to my personal site/blog, which will focus mostly on gaming, and other matters of life and death :D

I’ve accentuated the blue part more, like you said DaniMun.

joykilljoy, You’re right, I chose the colors without much thought, and based on your analysis it seems they fit my personality quite well. Regarding print, I don’t think I’ll use that specific design, maybe just a solid black tilted square.

UR23 , just saw your site critique thread. It looks EPIC !

by
by
by
by
by
by