550 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • United States
+11 more
theMOLITOR says

Thinking about getting out of my home office and maybe trying out a coworking space. They seem to be getting more and more popular here in the US and was curious if anyone in the envato community has any experience using coworking space.

From what I hear it’s a lot cheaper than leasing traditional office space and you can even do month-to-month leasing.

730 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
mordauk says

I’ve been wanting to do the exact same thing. I know some guys in Kansas City that work in Office Space, an official coworking space. I’m hoping to get one setup here in Lawrence, KS, at some time.

2821 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I’ve been working at a coworking space one day a week ( http://gctechspace.org/ )

It’s nice. You don’t get anywhere near as much work done as you do at home, but it’s great for the social side of things. During lunch breaks etc.. everyone stops work and shows what they’re working on.

972 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

Wow, i have never heard of this type of thing, it sounds like a sweet idea. I dont think there will be any near where i live though… :( ... so are you encouraged to do any group projects there, where one week someone will help you then the next you help them? it sounds interesting.

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

I’ve been sharing the studio since i started like freelance, many years ago. Is far away the best decision i took on my professional life. I only see positive things on it, so don’t hesitate and go ahead! ;)

900 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

I think it much depends on your pesonallity. At this moment I’d not like it. I’ve always been a loner. I’ve always hated group works, it usually ends up with me doing everything because I ask for it. I hate being disturbed while concetrating on something (like listening to a music on earphons when I “feel” the music, then somebody pokes me and everything I’ve been building inside of me crumbles).

On the other hand if I’m working alone on something and another person in the same room is doing something on it’s own then I like it. But that person must know when to disturb me if he wants to ask me something.

So, I think it depends on you.

328 posts Andre28 - Envato Elite Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Italy
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
andre28 says

i think i will do the same in the near future to start my activity with a friend… seems to be a good chance to meet other people and share opinions and maybe who know, make some nice work together…

381 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
redfactory says

We’ve been working in an old factory in The Hague where nearly 100 other creative companies are housed for almost 2 years now. There’s a food court where everybody goes for lunch, so everybody has a chance to meet eachother. We get a lot of client work from the other companies around us, and we organized a braintrust event where we would share our progress of certain projects and give eachother ideas. I must say, I would never ever go back to only working at home.

I asked this before, but if anyone wants to visit, we have a desk availably for a few days if you want :)

550 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
+11 more
theMOLITOR says

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m gonna check out some local coworking spaces this week, as well as some traditional office space just to compare and see which would suit my needs best.

I’ll be sure to share my findings…

2004 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

Where I live you can lease a 1000 sq ft commercial building for about $800/mo. That’s fairly cheap considering you get all of that space for yourself.

Edit: just found that for a co-working space here, for $195/mo you get 24/7 dedicated office space with key card access, storage, meeting room access, etc.

by
by
by
by
by
by