60 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Argentina
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
yio says

Hi, everybody!

Just a suggestion, I don’t want to upset anybody.

I was thinking that we, as royalty free authors ourselves, and in order to practice what we preaches, shouldn’t be using copyrighted images as avatars, unless we have the rights o permission to use them.

I guess I saw some avatars with famous people/characters within, or maybe some users have some resemblance to famous people, haha.

Furthermore, Envato’s team should take care of this in order to make the marketplaces even more serious.

And authors that choose their avatars and manage their profiles with responsibility shows theirselves more reliable.

Just a thought.

;-)

3742 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

My brain says yes but my heart says no :bashful:

3970 posts After Effects Templates
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
miseld says

1 year after it was time to change Avatar ;)

7791 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

my rico said I can use a picture of him :) and he has no problem with that. :D don’t know other people avatars. :|

But (one time) hey, internet functioned always like this, one used whatever he liked as avatar and I don’t think there was someone from those that own the copyright on that image who have something to say against till now. But there’s always a first time in everything. You never know with the lawyers, what they come up with it.

But (second time) it appears you missed the big point here. Avatars like avatars, what about going around themeforest and looking around at what pictures use the authors for preview in they’re templates.

I’m here when you come back, tell me what you found out :)

6088 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

I was thinking that we, as royalty free authors ourselves, and in order to practice what we preaches, shouldn’t be using copyrighted images as avatars, unless we have the rights o permission to use them.

Yes, the more number of avatars looks ripped from famous figures / brands, there will be less respect towards the authors / marketplace or even licencing. In ActiveDen, I couldn’t see such things happen but this happens in Audiojungle or other marketplaces?

Just recently seen Keenu Reeves image in the activetuts+ tutorial, hope it is within permission! :D

2168 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

I always want a custom avatar for myself.

4247 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

Sure let me get right on it. C’mon. To NOT practice what we preach we’d have to be using the avatars in illegal fashions. It’s not like we’re claiming rights or ownership of these avatars. The only thing we’re claiming rights to is our files. And for real… gimme a break. I’m not selling my avatar. GOSH !!

438 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
christopherjon says

Forget avatars, just about every theme demo on themeforest is using copyrighted images.

To NOT practice what we preach we’d have to be using the avatars in illegal fashions.

Actually, grabbing images off another website and using them is a copyright violation and using them illegally.

In your defense, due to the size of the images you could argue “fair use” but since avatars are not used as commentary, parody, news reporting, research or education, you’d have a weak case.

Just something to think about.

1729 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
Firsh says

I was mistaken for Orlando Bloom the other day. But that’s me in my avatar and I have my permission to use my photo. eh.. But yeah and believe me, on other forums it’s much much worse, with all the celebrities, nude pics, more animated gifs, disturbing shots, huge images as signatures and advertising within.

1612 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+9 more
DaniMun says

I was mistaken for Orlando Bloom

Lol, was thinking the same a few months ago :D

by
by
by