263 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
PremiumTunes says

Yesterday, I came across a guy on some competing royalty-free sites who was selling other people’s music. His name is Alex Khaskin. He has over a thousand tracks on many different libraries, and is stealing from the likes of Two Steps from Hell, Bill Brown (composer for CSI), Colin O’ Malley (composer for 8DIO). I originally found this guy selling one of Colin’s tracks called “Flow” that he wrote for 8Dio’s Adagio Violins, and immediately emailed Colin to see if he knew this guy or collaborated with him. He wrote back and said it was a blatant theft of his track. Later yesterday, I was on another site and found one of Bill Brown’s tracks being sold by the same guy. There is a huge group of composers currently talking about this on facebook, and more and more people are finding their songs in this guy’s “catalog of stolen music”.

So this is a warning to any of you here or on other sites to be careful and you might want to check this guy’s catalog for your own tracks.

And to the Staff here at Audiojungle, please check if you have an “Alex Khaskin” registered. He is a Russian-born composer who apparently now lives in Canada. This whole marketplace is being undermined if he is currently selling stolen tracks here.

1272 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Germany
UJ-pro says

Thank you very very much for this great attention, Josh!

I fear he will not be the only one. Anyway, we can’t accept this and need to keep having a look on it.

The other thing is: What can we do after discovering these tracks and guys?

Thanks, Udo

565 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Coriiander says

Several things. For starters indeed try to contact the original authors or their labels. Make forum posts like this one (effective). Also you can submit DMCA-takedown notices. In the case of works posted on websites like YouTube or marketplaces, I’m sure there’s a “Report / Copyright infringement”-department there. There’s on YouTube and AudioJungle for example. I recently reported an author using watermarked AudioJungle logo in all of his video for a political party. YouTube did nothing with it, AJ mailed me about and said to look into it. Nothing happened yet. I also made a forum post about it; see [HERE] for the details.

It may cost you some time, but then again, if we all support eachother for a bit, then it helps. Additionally, its a learnful thing to busy yourself with such things for at least once. It makes you do some research and learn from it, which is never bad as being an author yourself. I know I learned from it.

263 posts
  • Exclusive Author
PremiumTunes says

We just need to be vigilant. His work is on every other library site I’ve been on, but I’ve been unable to find him on Audiojungle yet. So either he has not joined yet or is registered under a different name. Since I found this information out yesterday, a huge storm has started brewing with some VERY big composers in the business regarding this con artist. This could actually be very good for Audiojungle as several of its main competitors could be caught up in this debacle if this goes to court. He has between 1200-1400 tracks on dozens of sites. Think of the money involved in that, and how much of that is actually owed to other composers, and also how it hurts the reputation of those libraries involved. I hope they set a precedent with him and send an industry-wide message that if you’re going to steal music and pawn it off as your own, you will be caught and prosecuted.

The name of his publishing company is "Salieri Music Inc" . Sorry staff if I'm providing too much info here, but this needs to be known by you and fellow authors.
263 posts
  • Exclusive Author
PremiumTunes says

Several things. For starters indeed try to contact the original authors or their labels. Make forum posts like this one (effective).

Coriiander, the first thing I did yesterday when I found this out was contact all of the original authors, and they are NOT happy! This is going to get serious in a hurry, because big hitters like Two Steps from Hell and Bill Brown (huge TV and film composer, CSI:NY etc) are involved. I just wanted to make sure this hack isn’t in our marketplace here.

201 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • South Africa
RomanosMusic says

“Name and Shame” – let’s get the word out there. Makes you wonder what people do with free downloads from sites like soundcloud etc. These criminals should be shown no mercy FFS!

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Josh.

565 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
Coriiander says

nvm

229 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Germany
Boldtrax says

He ripped tracks of mine and sold them, got all the screenshots and previews from one of the portals which is down now. Based on a first calculation he already earned min. 1000 bucks with selling my stuff and that was just 2 tracks of mine that I found so far. What an a&&hole.

263 posts
  • Exclusive Author
PremiumTunes says

He ripped tracks of mine and sold them, got all the screenshots and previews from one of the portals which is down now. Based on a first calculation he already earned min. 1000 bucks with selling my stuff and that was just 2 tracks of mine that I found so far. What an a&&hole.

Hi Russell & Dirk (not sure which one of you wrote that), sorry to hear that you’re another victim of this dou*hebag. This guy needs to go to prison, otherwise he’ll just keep uploading other peoples’ music under different names. This is one of the worst cases I’ve heard of recently.

It’s sad, because it not only undermines the particular site, but this industry as a whole. It’s impossible for sites to police all of the material being submitted, so I’m not sure there is a fix other than people just having a conscience. I could never sleep at night if I was selling someone else’s stuff and pawning it off as my own, but that’s just me.

1837 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
gballx says

Nice one Josh for bringing this to our attention. Vigilence is the key.

by
by
by
by
by
by