9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United Kingdom
RoryCairnduff says

Hey there, Since i’m new to the community, i thought i’d start a thread where people could share how they compose and what process/method they like to use?

For myself it depends – i like to write a melody and then let the composition flow from there, or sometimes i try to come up with a catchy, or unusual chord progression and then go from there.

Anyone out there believe there is a best way??

136 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
nahkaorava says

Hey there, Since i’m new to the community, i thought i’d start a thread where people could share how they compose and what process/method they like to use?

For myself it depends – i like to write a melody and then let the composition flow from there, or sometimes i try to come up with a catchy, or unusual chord progression and then go from there.

I don’t think that such thing as “the best way” exists. People have different ways of working and composing. Whatever works for you is the way to go!

Sometimes it’s melody, sometimes chord progression or rhythm pattern that gets the inspiration flowing. Even a nice sound patch can really get me inspired! :D

9 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
RoryCairnduff says

I don’t think that such thing as “the best way” exists. People have different ways of working and composing. Whatever works for you is the way to go!

Sometimes it’s melody, sometimes chord progression or rhythm pattern that gets the inspiration flowing. Even a nice sound patch can really get me inspired! :D

Totally agree, i don’t think there is ‘one way’ often my method changes with every new piece i start haha

258 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
JumaStudios says

True, there are so many different ways of approaching a new track. I wonder though what comes first for other authors. The style, the genre? Do you guys aim for a certain category and then follow that? Or you just go to the keyboard,see what comes up and then follow that new born idea and see where it leads? Also in my case, a certain instrument or sound can offer sooooo much inspiration. Sometimes, depending, if its an accompaniament or a solo instrument, I just use it and build on that

39 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
enrimusic says

Agree with all of you. For orchestral music, I usually start with the main theme melody, I work on its arrangement and orchestration, and a try to give clean parts to all instruments. So, I make a temp mix of this, adjusting volumes, reverbs, ecc… Next, I start to make variations and organizing the future track fill parts making bridges and all the needed things. So, I tend to give a little bit of “dirt” in harmony, I adjust expression, make automations, add sound effects, retouch the mix and bounce!

1455 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gballx says

I find a sound and then that dictates the direction of the track. Because I get bored so quickly of the writing process I normally take about 3-4 hours from finding a sound to mastering the mix.

39 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
enrimusic says

Agree with all of you. For orchestral music, I usually start with the main theme melody, I work on its arrangement and orchestration, and a try to give clean parts to all instruments. So, I make a temp mix of this, adjusting volumes, reverbs, ecc… Next, I start to make variations and organizing the future track fill parts making bridges and all the needed things. So, I tend to give a little bit of “dirt” in harmony, I adjust expression, make automations, add sound effects, retouch the mix and bounce!

I forgot that I start with my own orchestral template, with sends, instruments, reverbs, already set.

379 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Twisterium says

As for me, – harmony comes first. Basically I write melody on existing harmony. Probably because I’m not cinematic composer and rock and electronic tracks have no melody at all. Another thing is when you hear a cool drum groove and you see in your mind a future musical conception. In this case groove is the first. Thats it! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by