409 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
joesacco says

Has anybody ever used the C, C/B, Am, F chord progression before? I was rejected a track because apparently it sounded too much like a popular mainstream song. At least if I was told it sounded too much like about 85% of the songs out there I would have been a little more understanding. I think we deserve a better reason for a file rejection than that. I’m sorry but it takes up way too much time to create, watermark and upload a song for a rejection like that.

27 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
Rosier says

Was the track rejected because it features the progression, or because it sounds too much like a popular mainstream song?

192 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Jersey
+6 more
liambradbury says

hmmm do you not mean C,G/B,Am,F ? unless you intended to have a Cmaj7 chord in 3rd inversion?

409 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
joesacco says

liambradbury

Yes depending on whether I played the D in the chord or not I can’t remember, but you get the idea! What a wise guy lol And I can’t even remember if those were the exact chords, but regardless my intention wasn’t to copy the song mentioned at all.

Rosier

Apparently both!

... Oh well. Right back at it.

192 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Jersey
+6 more
liambradbury says

sorry! music theory is an obsession of mine.

I think we’ve all wrote songs using that chord progression before, I think ive even got a song uploaded using it too. Must be the melody you are using over the top that is sounding like something else.

27 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
Rosier says

There are lots of different ways you can use a chord progression:

- rhythm (compare for example 2/4, 4/4, 3/4, 6/8 or even 7/8)

- tempo

- instrumentation

- melody is usually the soprano voice of the harmonic disposition. Try using different chord inversions

- experiment with using 7th and altered chords every now and then. There are excellent AudioTuts tutorials covering that

- etc.

Your interpretation of the progression is probably too similar to another song. Listening to your tracks, you seem to know stuff. Don’t take those rejections too personally. I know our tracks are like our children, but it’s better to make them unique and talented than something which sounds like a pop song everyone knows.

You make wonderful music, my only suggestion is that you experiment more and don’t be bound and tied to progressions. :)

thesensercomplex
thesensercomplex Recent Posts Threads Started
486 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
thesensercomplex says

Your tracks are fantastic! I’ve never had a rejection with that explanation before (and I’ve had a few). A lot of tracks on AJ sounds alike to me, AND other music out there. It is what it and there’s more music in you to create, don’t fret over one song. Cheers!

409 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
joesacco says

thesensercomplex

Thanks!! I like your guitar tracks. Great sound.

... and I agree, the ones that sound alike are the ones that sell. So there’s a contradiction there. Either create songs that are different but don’t sell, or make something that sounds similar so that it will sell. Regardless I dont think my song sounded anything like the one the reviewer mentioned?! :confused: But anyways, onward and upward! :P

thesensercomplex
thesensercomplex Recent Posts Threads Started
486 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
thesensercomplex says

True enough. I’ve only disputed one track, which AJ was kind enough reconsider, once it was approved, it sold several times. I must admit, AJ was correct about the track being a bit off on the piano parts. Most of my unapproved tracks go to other non-exclusive sites with varying degree of success, and some not at all. AJ is a great proving ground for my tracks, which I showcase here first, since its my only exclusive account. If the track doesn’t sell after a few months, I move it off, and go non-exclusive on other sites. If a track does do well on AJ, it is only for about 4 to 6 weeks, then it pretty much just sits there. At least with my stuff. Not sure if this is the norm.

However, with the new search engine due to come out on AJ, it may mean new life to older songs. Cheers, and looking forward to hearing more of your music.

PS. Is that you playing bass and singing on your YouTube link?

409 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
joesacco says

Could you recommend some other sites maybe in a private message.

And what link are you referring to and if its a good one maybe I’ll say yes lol

by
by
by
by
by
by