39 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Located in Sweden
descara says

My first attempt at creating a believable mock-up of something actually classical, rather than cinematic in style. Tell me what you think I can improve for the future, with regards to programming etc! One thing I definitely will do is use samples with less natural reverb.

http://audiojungle.net/item/ball-at-the-manor/2948060
228 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Alisiya says

Hi, nice track and very harmonious! In my opinion a little lacking individuality, some sort of features. May slightly deviate from the classical canons.? :)

306 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
adammonroe says

Well, as a huge Bach fan, I can say I definitely enjoyed this. Reminded me a bit of the first movement of Bach’s E Major Violin Concerto – one of my favorite pieces – but obviously more light and airy. I think you definitely achieved the Baroque, European-Nobility-Dancing-In-A-Ball-Room affect.

The mix actually sounds ok to me. Traditional recordings of small ensembles or chamber orchestras probably sound too dull to most modern ears anyway. Kind of how a good recording of a classical pianist sounds great to an audiophile or music snob, but probably sounds too “soft” or “weak” to everyone else used to music that has been compressed into oblivion. The point is that you are using the samples in a realistic way – in terms of how strings might actually be played – and I think this is far more important. A lot of music people are composing these days doesn’t sound like music people would actually play…you have guys like Daniel James who say things like, “I don’t worry about whether or not an orchestra could play this, I just worry about what it sounds like in the end,” and although that’s a perfectly acceptable method to be working from, I personally think it’s good to attempt to write write music that people can play, or might even be interested in playing…just in case they ever do.

39 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Located in Sweden
descara says

Thanks for the feedback both of you!

Well, as a huge Bach fan, I can say I definitely enjoyed this. Reminded me a bit of the first movement of Bach’s E Major Violin Concerto – one of my favorite pieces – but obviously more light and airy. I think you definitely achieved the Baroque, European-Nobility-Dancing-In-A-Ball-Room affect. The mix actually sounds ok to me. Traditional recordings of small ensembles or chamber orchestras probably sound too dull to most modern ears anyway. Kind of how a good recording of a classical pianist sounds great to an audiophile or music snob, but probably sounds too “soft” or “weak” to everyone else used to music that has been compressed into oblivion. The point is that you are using the samples in a realistic way – in terms of how strings might actually be played – and I think this is far more important. A lot of music people are composing these days doesn’t sound like music people would actually play…you have guys like Daniel James who say things like, “I don’t worry about whether or not an orchestra could play this, I just worry about what it sounds like in the end,” and although that’s a perfectly acceptable method to be working from, I personally think it’s good to attempt to write write music that people can play, or might even be interested in playing…just in case they ever do.

Thanks for your thoughts, never really thought about it that way! Most of my writing is actually written for or played by real musicians, so taking the step into sequencing and digital orchestration is rather big.

I recently uploaded a short piece for string quartet, and when programming that one I, somewhat in line with your thoughts, concentrated on getting it to sound as good as I could get it to, rather than capturing the traditional quartet recording sound, which just doesn’t feel feasible with the assets I have, and because I already know it’s perfectly performable by a real quartet as well.

by
by
by
by
by
by