• Forum Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Demorfoza says

I’ve got a question :)

I tried to google it, but haven’t found satysfying answer. I’m designing a magazine now and here’s an issue: I want to place a man’s head above the magazine title at the front page. The most obvious way is to cut him out and place that head above all, but that requires perfect image aligning inside the cut-out (not that it’s difficult thing to do, I just try to find more time-efficient and client-friendly way).

I thought about kind of invisible mask, that works with specific layer, so it could cover just text to make part of it invisible, but I think there’s no such thing.

Do you have any ideas or found out the way to overcome cutting and pasting images? I’m using InDesign CS5 if it makes any difference.

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Not an expert here, but i would do this way: Create a PSD with the full image, and make the area where the head is, transparent in photoshop. Do not cut on several images, just cut the background from the figure on the upper zone. Place the PSD on your ID project, and pñlace your magazine header on background, under the PSD layer.

Sorry if i misunderstood your question.

876 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Demorfoza says

Hi pezflash. Thank you, but I did the same thing inside InDesign. I duplicated image layer making it the same size as actual head is, then I put it above all. I think this is the way you mean with Photoshop included.

20 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Romania
adriandragne says
Demorfoza, why don’t you use a layered content. F7 to bring the Layer Panel and you will make at least 3 layers:
  1. top layer: all front page content
  2. middle layer: picture with the man
  3. bottom layer: title of the magazine

Of course, you can create as many layers as you need.

Hope this is helpful :)

876 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Demorfoza says

Hi adriandragne. Of course I use layers, maybe I didn’t make myself clear enough. All my documents all properly layered, but even if they wouldn’t your advice isn’t solving my problem. :)

One thing to add here – I’m using stock photo with model and background. Background must stay, model must be “above” magazine title.

3196 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Brazil
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
DzincStudio says

Hi Demorfoza, you can create/save 2 separate image files (same height/width) with transparency from Photoshop. One of the background without the model, one of the model without the background. Since they’re the same size, simply layer them accordingly in InDesign. That should do the trick.

876 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Demorfoza says

Hi Dzinc. That kinda solves it, it’s actually the first thing I did, but without using photoshop.
I’m trying to make it as much automatic as possible. The best option would be the “magic” layer, that covers a part of text layer making it invisible. This way the only thing to do would be placing layer of specific shape, that cuts the text. Whenever there’s image editing included, it consumes more time, costs or both (from a client side).

I really hope you understand what I’m trying to accomplish here, my english is far from perfect. ;)

876 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
Demorfoza says

Hi again. I found this thread attractive enough, so I’m asking new question here. Have any one experienced this weird issue, when certain layer don’t want to go below all other layers even tho it is the lowest layer in document?

Sometimes I just can’t place an element below everything else, but this time one element is below and above certain layer at the same time (on the bottom of the document it hides under a layer, but on the top it overlaps it). Is there any way around it except reintall?

NVM, fixed the second problem, but sometimes I just can’t place whole layer at the very bottom.

by
by
by
by
by
by