If you have been viewing my portfolio recently you will see I have raised prices on some of my items. And I suddenly had a dilemma.
My V___ge theme is currently at $35. I ended up not changing this in the end because all the fullscreen themes seem to be that price whether they are top sellers or shameless copies, even its definitely worth more than $35.
I basically want to know whether you would purchase theme at $45 if it provided the design and functionality you require, over a theme that almost does what you want but retails for $35.
So what comes first? Price or Functionality?
For me personally it’s functionality, because work is time. If something already works the way I need it to, then I’ll be purchasing that one rather than spending time trying to get the other one to do what I need. Spending an extra $10 is worth it to save time and frustration in something I may not know how to accomplish.
...I basically want to know whether you would purchase theme at $45 if it provided the design and functionality you require, over a theme that almost does what you want but retails for $35. So what comes first? Price or Functionality?
I would purchase a theme if it was $45 or more provided that it has the design, functionality and good author support for 3 reasons:
- If it clearly outclasses the regular $35 theme in terms of value
- I don’t mind the author earning more for making his theme truly ‘premium’
- I don’t mark-up the price I pay for themes when I charge clients. I have a standard base for my website work and I add the $35 to that figure. Even so, an additional $10 out of my pocket if I found a ‘premium’ theme after I quoted is no big deal.
Forgive me fellow buyers but functionality comes first, once it’s there I’ll buy it. I’d rather spend premium $ for a theme at Envato because I’m comfortable and confident in the ethics of this marketplace than anywhere else.
As more features you provide. As more you can charge. But keep an eye out for what the competition is offering. If you both provide the same features, the lower price wins.
In this design should not been taken into account since I believe the bulk of the sales come from professionals that in the end change the skin so it won’t resemble the original TF item.
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.