2566 posts Put a Donk On It
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

Hi buyers,

If you have been viewing my portfolio recently you will see I have raised prices on some of my items. And I suddenly had a dilemma.

My V___ge theme is currently at $35. I ended up not changing this in the end because all the fullscreen themes seem to be that price whether they are top sellers or shameless copies, even its definitely worth more than $35.

I basically want to know whether you would purchase theme at $45 if it provided the design and functionality you require, over a theme that almost does what you want but retails for $35.

So what comes first? Price or Functionality?

Thanks, George

48 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
bryanb says

For me personally it’s functionality, because work is time. If something already works the way I need it to, then I’ll be purchasing that one rather than spending time trying to get the other one to do what I need. Spending an extra $10 is worth it to save time and frustration in something I may not know how to accomplish.

2057 posts
    Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United States
Landonw says

Functionality for sure.

328 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says
ThemeProvince said
...I basically want to know whether you would purchase theme at $45 if it provided the design and functionality you require, over a theme that almost does what you want but retails for $35. So what comes first? Price or Functionality?

I would purchase a theme if it was $45 or more provided that it has the design, functionality and good author support for 3 reasons:

1. If it clearly outclasses the regular $35 theme in terms of value
  2. I don’t mind the author earning more for making his theme truly ‘premium’
  3. I don’t mark-up the price I pay for themes when I charge clients. I have a standard base for my website work and I add the $35 to that figure. Even so, an additional $10 out of my pocket if I found a ‘premium’ theme after I quoted is no big deal.

Forgive me fellow buyers but functionality comes first, once it’s there I’ll buy it. I’d rather spend premium $ for a theme at Envato because I’m comfortable and confident in the ethics of this marketplace than anywhere else.

701 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 1+ members Located in Canada Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
chrismccoy says

functionality for sure.

298 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
campuscodi says

As more features you provide. As more you can charge. But keep an eye out for what the competition is offering. If you both provide the same features, the lower price wins.

In this design should not been taken into account since I believe the bulk of the sales come from professionals that in the end change the skin so it won’t resemble the original TF item.

by
by
by
by
by
by