1647 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

Just to give my dos centimos… which author has created the template makes no difference to me. I do see the same authors over and over again, who have really great projects, so purchases from them are likely due to the quality of their items, but I judge on the quality of the item, not the name of the author.

I don’t really bother that much with the star rating and the comments either. If it’s got one or two stars, then I’m going to be curious and check out the comments, but apart from that it makes no difference to me if the item has 4 stars or five stars.

A well laid out description does help… it’s good to know exactly what’s needed, what’s included and the like. It saves time and means I can get the most info in the shortest time. Although not really related to the item itself, I like when authors promote their other items or related items at the bottom of the description. That gives me a better idea of their work and allows me to check out potentially related items quickly and easily.

Price doesn’t really bother me too much. Everything is reasonably priced on the marketplaces, so if an item is $20 rather than $15 then that’s just the way it is. However, if I’m torn between a $15 item and a $20 item, and I only have $19.90 in my Envato account… I’ll go for the $15 one. If I want the $20 item then I have no problem in adding another $20 to my account.

The main thing that’s important to me is the functionality and the quality of the item. You can have a terrible description, rubbish preview video and boring thumbnail… I don’t care, it;s all about the item itself. How it looks, what features it has, how it sounds etc etc. The thing is, if the item does have a terrible thumbnail and preview image, then it’s unlikely I’ll watch the preview video or look at the live previews.

As the saying goes, time is money, and I don’t have the time to check through 1000 logo animations or 5000 pictures of business people shaking hands or 100 images of horses skydiving. I have to go on the thumbnail and the preview image that comes up when you hover over the thumbnail. Then, once those have got me to the item page I can have a look around.

When searching, I’ll usually narrow it down to a category, and then I’ll sort by sales. It’s just easier that way, as in theory, you should be getting a bunch of high quality items at the top. Yes, that misses out on the latest items that might be really good, but haven’t got any sales yet… but what can I do. If I have a decent budget or can;t find anything suitable then I’ll inevitably check out every single item to see if I can find what I need…. but I’ll still do the thumbnail and preview image ‘sweep’ first before I go into the item page. I usually scroll through the list and open any likely candidates in a new tab to look at once I’ve got a bunch of suitable candidates.

And that’s about it really. Nothing groundbreaking there, but it gives another perspective. Cheers!

Thanks a lot.

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

When searching, I’ll usually narrow it down to a category, and then I’ll sort by sales. It’s just easier that way, as in theory, you should be getting a bunch of high quality items at the top. Yes, that misses out on the latest items that might be really good, but haven’t got any sales yet… but what can I do.

This puts a lot of things in perspective in regards to the discussion on the trends and approved items topic. Thanks for the feedback!

342 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
StencilMedia says

No worries!

655 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Synchrotron says

When searching, I’ll usually narrow it down to a category, and then I’ll sort by sales. It’s just easier that way, as in theory, you should be getting a bunch of high quality items at the top. Yes, that misses out on the latest items that might be really good, but haven’t got any sales yet… but what can I do.
This puts a lot of things in perspective in regards to the discussion on the trends and approved items topic. Thanks for the feedback!
Two companies I collaborate with do just the same. They sort by sales and pick from best sellers. Either that or pick something of the popular files list aka the best sellers of a certain week/month.
380 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

One of the most useful threads in here for a while. Thanks to all the buyers that take the time to give us authors some feedback.

661 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
omar_almudaries says

One of the most useful threads in here for a while. Thanks to all the buyers that take the time to give us authors some feedback.

+1000

3862 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

As a relatively experienced buyer we actually probably break the norm. We have hundreds of files but actually only have used less than 10 for client projects. We use a lot to see how code is achieved (without just viewing the source), to learn and create from some of the cleverness seen on here. We also run a government run training program for kids in development and let them choose a file (which we buy for them) and they get to edit and create.

As we all work in the industry and for some big brands we can’t really use templates but even the best of us have benefited from being involved here.

In terms of how we buy – almost all purchases are done with a project, idea or learning in mind with a few exceptions which will be impulse – mostly from the same authors over and over again due to a love and admiration for their work.

To authors wanting tips for sales – it totally depends on the buyer. The less experienced will inevitably be impressed by the all singing and all dancing style. The most experienced of us I believe prefer simple, functional and well/logically constructed files. The key is to make it as versatile and ultimately as “imaginable” (is that really a phrase!) as possible so a buyer can picture it with their own content and not become over whelmed with stuff going on.

323 posts
familychoice says

Are you (or CAN you) using the SEARCH option..?
We rarely use the search option, apart from CodeCanyon where it’s useful for finding plugins. It’s not great, unless you get the item name you’re looking for exactly right it doesn’t find a match.

What makes you buy from the same author again and again
Good feedback, good prices, good and fast support.

Good support is more important to us than fancy features and cheaper prices. We are happy to pay more to authors that support and update their products.

One issue we’re finding though is that some very successful authors aren’t investing in extra support to cope with the number of customers they have, so we have to wait days for a reply. This isn’t an issue for simple queries, but becomes a problem when you’re in a ‘conversation’ with an author as each response takes days to arrive and you end up spending weeks fixing a single issue.

What features you want (or do not want) to see at the marketplaces..?

Better search, ratings backed up by customer feedback, more customer activity on the forums, better management from Envato of rogue products, product descriptions and bad authors, less of the same type of product flooding in.

For example it’s almost impossible now to search through Themeforest as there are so many virtually identical themes. More choice is not always better, there are only so many buyers and this dilution of author sales means authors are not making as many sales as they could do, and may not have the funds to reinvest in support.

I’d like Envato to be a bit more fussy about what they sell, and to think carefully about whether the number products they’re adding every week is actually adding any value to their customers buying experience. There are a lot of very low selling themes around now.

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
QBKL says

I’d like Envato to be a bit more fussy about what they sell, and to think carefully about whether the number products they’re adding every week is actually adding any value to their customers buying experience. There are a lot of very low selling themes around now.

Well, Envato doesn’t exactly “sell”. Authors sell. Envato just ensures that the uploaded items respect a minimum standard. Kind of like on Ebay. The effort you put into your theme and the fact that you create a product that resembles others is mostly your own risk and up to a point (very minimal point) Envato should not interfere with that freedom of choice of each author, as long as those minimum coding and visual standards are followed and of course, the product is not a blatant copy.

In regards to: “There are a lot of very low selling themes around now.” – I’d not put that on the quality of the items only. There are quite a few topics that debate the level of exposure of each item lately that the market has grown this much.

Right now, the system favors high-selling items. The very poor search that most of you, buyers avoid, pushes you to resort to old habits>

- Buy from the same authors based on “better safe than sorry”.
- Sort by sales and only buy the same high-selling products, adding to their growth, later stating that there are too many low-selling products.

Don’t get what I said as an accusation or anything. I as an author understand where this comes from. And understand that it’s something Envato SHOULD take care of to encourage you buyers to become “adventurers” instead of “creatures of habit”. When that happens, more authors will fight for your attention through more creative items and novelty, because being “high profile” won’t have the same value it has now. Rather the quality of items and item on page marketing, tags, descriptions, categorization and so on. Much more balanced results.

Regards,
Alex

PS: Thanks for the feedback!

323 posts
familychoice says

Well, Envato doesn’t exactly “sell”. Authors sell. Envato just ensures that the uploaded items respect a minimum standard.

I don’t agree, sorry. Authors provide products which Envato sells. They take the money, then their cut, and then pay their producers. It’s a marketplace based system but they’re still selling.

In regards to: “There are a lot of very low selling themes around now.” – I’d not put that on the quality of the items only. There are quite a few topics that debate the level of exposure of each item lately that the market has grown this much.

I agree, the reason sales are going down on a lot of products is not just about quality, it’s about the amount of products coming on to the site vs the number of buyers.

The very poor search that most of you, buyers avoid, pushes you to resort to “old habits”: - Buy from the same authors based on “better safe than sorry”.
- Sort by sales and only buy the same high-selling products, adding to their growth, later stating that there are too many low-selling products.

That’s not how I buy. I check the list of latest themes and plugins on a daily basis. I’ll look at each one in detail (even if it’s a new author) and if it’s any good I’ll bookmark it. At this stage it’ll probably have 0 sales. Then when an opportunity arises I’ll go back to the bookmarked products and see how they’ve fared. If comments are good and the product is well supported then I’ll buy it.

And understand that it’s something Envato SHOULD take care of to encourage you buyers to become “adventurers” instead of “creatures of habit”. When that happens, more authors will fight for your attention through more creative items and novelty

I think you’re making assumptions about how customers buy. We don’t buy like this. Of course we’ll have more confidence in buying from authors that have provided a good service and product previously, but our last 5 purchases are all from new authors.

I think the low sales aren’t down to customer buying habits or quality issues, it’s basic economics – there are more products fighting for the same amount of buyers.

We’re noticing this on Codecanyon too, and starting to see a lot of duplicate products, blatant copies of older items.

by
by
by
by
by
by