262 posts WordPress Theme Devoloper
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
kayapati says

One thing that does bother me is when a question is asked, and the author responds with “answered in email”. Just my 2c. Hope it helps!
This could happen when the author wants to send some extra files/codes (I’m not saying this is always the case but could be) and secondly keeps nulled themes lovers away from free support, otherwise what would be the difference between you, buyer and the one who stole. But I do understand your point.

How it would be the author comments to display for only buyers, not for nulled lovers :)

395 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Twisterium says

Thanks for interesting replies. It’s important for me as well.

438 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Pixelous says

I look for clean code, where authors have taken the time to comment each sector where appropriate, this leads me to think if thy can be bothered to explain, then they understand and care about its use.

What kind of comments do u expect to see at HTML structure? Any examples?

30 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
TwoJStudios says

I too will not buy any item unless it has a live preview (CSS Items must have a good vid). No Preview = No buy for me.

I also almost always remove the Envato frame as well. I also always look at the code – CSS , HTML and custom JS. I modify the items I buy extensively, and having good clean code is a high priority for me.

I will keep thinking of more things that influence the way I buy…

5492 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

I look for clean code, where authors have taken the time to comment each sector where appropriate, this leads me to think if thy can be bothered to explain, then they understand and care about its use.

What kind of comments do u expect to see at HTML structure? Any examples?

Sure example:

<!-- content block fluid -->
<div class="content">
  <!-- profile avatar container -->
   <div class="profileAvatar">
  </div>
 <!-- // end profile avatar container -->
blah blah blah
</div>
<!-- // end content block -->
I cannot link to particular files, but I am sure any buyer worth their salt, can recognise clean code.
332 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

I make my living fulltime as a WP Configurer. As a buyer it’s refreshing to be asked my opinion on TF. You asked how do I buy, here is MY process:

• When I get a new client I try to understand his business to determine what kind of theme may be suitable- corporate, creative, etc.
  • I try to visualize his site in my mind then go looking on TF
  • I scan themes that have the LOOK and FEEL I visualized, regardless of what features/function they have
  • I don’t look at themes with 3 stars except if I know the author
  • I shortlist at least 5 them- then check the features to see if I can live with the compromise
  • I check who the authors are, prioritize them: Any theme from AJ Clarke absolutely without question, authors I bought from before, Elite authors, silver paw and up, the rest based on the theme’s comments the ones I’m familiar with get priority, the lesser known ones I check the comments to gauge them
  • I send links to the demos to my client (frames removed)
  • I buy the one my client picks or reveal my pick if they ask
  • I rarely remember to bookmark, choosing to instead always go on a fresh hunt
  • I’ll shortlist newer themes first unless an old one stands out
  • Doesn’t matter how many pages deep the theme is, I look until I can find at least five then look at the created date and decide

It’s all about the look and feel to me first before anything else. The theme must suit what I feel is best for my client. This means all these plain vanilla themes that’s been coming of the assembly line lately barely get 2 seconds of preview.

53 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Godmachine says

Thanks for this thread! Very useful and informative ;)

Hope many buyers out there participate on this important topic.

3197 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
+11 more
ThomGeskin says

Here’s some additional feedback posted on Notes, from when buyers answered numerous questions asked by community authors:

Would be great to see a new compilation posted on Notes, featuring all the great feedback in this thread. Keep it coming, and in the meantime, I’ll go ahead and suggest it to Notes editor, Adrian. Cheers.

223 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
adriantry Envato team says

Thanks for letting me know about this thread, D’Zinc – I’ll definitely use it as the basis for a post on Notes in the near future, when the thread gathers a few more responses.

A huge thanks to the buyers for giving their input here. I know that many buyers find your suggestions incredibly helpful, resulting in a better buying experience for you, and more sales for them. :)

45 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Located in United States
premiumwd says

Well let’s see… I guess I base most of my purchases on feedback in the item’s comments. I look for comments that state that the item was easy to use/install, and I also look for questions asked by the buyers that get responses from the author. Questions asked and never answered stick out for me as a no buy item. Author rating does play a role, but a very small one. Item support after the sale is probably #1 for me though I very rarely ask for support, it is nice knowing if I have any issues I can get help.

One thing that does bother me is when a question is asked, and the author responds with “answered in email”. More then once I have had the same question, and now have to contact the author instead of reading the fix/answer right there where it was asked previously.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps!

Well that is very surprising you did not once mention the actual product’s importance, just easy to use and install, very good to see how one consumer thinks.

by
by
by
by
by
by