• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Won a Competition
burningstonecold says

Hey Guys,

I hope you’re all rocking on well :)

I need some advice as I’m in a bit of a pickle about what language to choose to develop a web app I’m developing.

Basically the app will be parsing RSS , screen scraping websites, and have manual user input with a Simple API connected to an iPhone app and will be posting all this data to twitter, facebook and to the website front end. There will be a front end to the site which will display the info, and of course a back end to handle different things.

What I’m not sure about is what to develop it with – Ruby or PHP ? I’ve already got a small existing example written in Python that I will need to port over (Written by a mate).

(PHP would be done in a MVC format)

In your experiences, and from your knowledge which language – Ruby or PHP – would be best applied to the project? Hopefully I can pick one that will allow me to crunch down on programming time, but buff up the features (If that makes sense?)

Cheers!

415 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
osigrandi says

Why not Django if you already have code in Python?

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Won a Competition
burningstonecold says

Problem is I only know the basics of Django/Python and would prefer not to spend time learning another language but rather working on the proj if you know what I mean.

It’s only about 35 lines of Python which just screen scrapes a site and parses it as RSS .

by
by
by
by
by
by