burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Located in Australia Has sold $1+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
burningstonecold says

Hey Guys,

I hope you’re all rocking on well :)

I need some advice as I’m in a bit of a pickle about what language to choose to develop a web app I’m developing.

Basically the app will be parsing RSS , screen scraping websites, and have manual user input with a Simple API connected to an iPhone app and will be posting all this data to twitter, facebook and to the website front end. There will be a front end to the site which will display the info, and of course a back end to handle different things.

What I’m not sure about is what to develop it with – Ruby or PHP ? I’ve already got a small existing example written in Python that I will need to port over (Written by a mate).

(PHP would be done in a MVC format)

In your experiences, and from your knowledge which language – Ruby or PHP – would be best applied to the project? Hopefully I can pick one that will allow me to crunch down on programming time, but buff up the features (If that makes sense?)

Cheers!

415 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in Europe Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

Why not Django if you already have code in Python?

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts Threads Started
143 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Located in Australia Has sold $1+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
burningstonecold says

Problem is I only know the basics of Django/Python and would prefer not to spend time learning another language but rather working on the proj if you know what I mean.

It’s only about 35 lines of Python which just screen scrapes a site and parses it as RSS .

by
by
by
by
by
by