88 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
LaMusique says

dxvid

“Harmony and Voice Leading” by Edward Aldwell – this book teaches you from almost zero knowledge and forward – what are notes, what are scales, what are intervals, what are basic progressions etc.

“Dance music manual – tools, toys and techniques” and “How to make a noise” – those books are about electronic music and synthesis/sound design, they’re also “easy” to understand.

“Oxford history of western music” by Richard Taruskin – this book is just a history.. history of the music of all times, including 20th century.

I wish someone had given me the list of those 7 books 15 years ago.

496 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
JType says

The only one I own myself is “Sound and Recording” By Francis Rumsey.

It’s definitely not the most exciting book to read on the subject, but it’s very comprehensive and will teach you how sound and the perception of sound works, as well as breaking down all of the gear you’d commonly find in a studio or music recording set-up; explaining exactly how they work.

Again, not an overly-exciting read, but occasionally I might want to have a quick look and remind myself of, say, exactly how a Horn Speaker works again, for example, I can grab the chapter on speakers and get a really in-depth look at that particular piece of audio equipment.

1103 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says

Hello all you readers :)

The most interresting book to me when it comes to music, brings some light to the whole thing from the marketing and business side of the story.

The book describes, how to compose a track that will 100% reach Nr.1 in the billboard charts. Billy Drummond ( KLF , Timelords ) who wrote the book did afterwards exactly what he writes in the book and had success. All the money he earned from that ( over 1 million british pound ) has been burned in a perfomrance to show, he composed the track only to proof the book “works”.

I had such great laughs and was so fascinated at the same time. Reminds me on the story behind Frank Zappas “Bobby Brown” track.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manual

Have a read and get famous :)

98 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
dxvid says
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manual Have a read and get famous :)

great story!... definitely a book ill look for..

88 posts
LaMusique says

I guess, writing a hit song isn’t enough, you should promote it somehow.. marketing is important here. How do u promote it? Got a book on that ? :)

1103 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says
I guess, writing a hit song isn’t enough, you should promote it somehow.. marketing is important here. How do u promote it? Got a book on that ? :)

Hello Sergei

Yes, the book covers EVERYTHING from the first idea to the day when your song will be on top of the charts :) Give it a try, its realy worth reading it.

69 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
BeatheBeat says

Just finished reading it! In case anybody wants to check it out, I found it online here: http://tomrobinson.com/wordpress/?page_id=52
It’s really funny and also quite interesting!
Very good (and original) suggestion, SonicCube. :-)

856 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+4 more
AndySlatter Reviewer says

Ive been buying “Computer Music Magazine” for the last 8 years or so, that has been more useful than any book I’ve ever read, “Music Tech” and “Future Music” magazines are also very good.

88 posts
LaMusique says

Thanks Alberto! Reading it now.. great one :)

by
by
by
by
by
by