336 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
Tamixes says

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good compression application or webapp for swf files.

I do the occasional animation in photoshop and exporting a large banner as a gif just looks plain ugly due to the limited color palette, exporting as a swf, gives me the image resolution I want – especially for photos/gradients but the file size is HUGE . Any suggestions for a decent swf image compression app would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

3751 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

I would not take the risk of using a external compressor. Flash IDE has an option to compress the swf (inside publish options). Try to play with the resolution of the images to save some kbs. In case you can’t get it, i’ve heard not too bad things about flashoptimizer.

336 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
Tamixes says

Thanks pezflash, I’m useless at Flash, I dont quite know if Photoshop really qualifies as a Flash IDE so my save options are very limited I can just choose jpg and lossless, I’ll try flashoptimizer.

3751 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

As an advice, it’s much better if you compress the images with photoshop than playing around with the flash publish compress settings. I recommend to keep the default compression of the images in flash, and make a good optimization in Photoshop “save for web” subapplication.

But yes, from my experience, working with the size requiered for banners in most of the sites is a hell. I have never done anything without sacrifying (more than i would like) image quality.

by
by
by
by
by
by