343 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
SnoopyIndustries says

Hi guys,

I wanted to know what experiences you’ve had with Laptops over the years because I plan to change mine. I’ve bought an HP Pavilion g7 an year ago and it’s the worst piece of sh#t I’ve ever used! So I wanted to know which are the best ways to go towards.

Sure, You’ll say Mac and Alienware, but those are also hugely overpriced ( or at least have a huge price, deservedly or not). I’ve also worked on some Acers and Asus ones which I was expecting to be crap but really weren’t so please give me your ops on what’s the best laptop decent money can buy.

Cheers

1402 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I’m looking at upgrading too. I am leaning towards an Asus with a core i5 processor. There’s one at Best Buy for $599 Asus – 15.6” Laptop – 6GB Memory – 750GB Hard Drive

1721 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

I paid $1400 for my macbook pro 13’’ early 2011 model and its worth every dollar. I recently added a SSD to it(like $60) and 8GB ram(40$) so for $1500 I got a laptop that rocks, it runs like the first day and it definitely made its money.

If you do this all the time, investing in a good laptop is a must-do, no matter what it costs.

For web development I’d recommend macbook air :)

281 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Serbia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
scrnjakovic says

I bought Acer Aspire V3-571G with following specs: - Core i5 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M wth 1GB Dedicated VRAM + Discrete Integrated Intel Graphics - 4 GB DDR3 - 500GB HDD - Dolby - BT 4 .0 - USB 3 .0 - HD webcam

for $450!

You can look detailed specs online. My recommendation.

p.s. boost ram with another 4gb :)

78 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
thepainterman says

You can mod a laptop,buy an i5 minimum cpu spec,check the chipset it’ll tell you how much ram you can add.Max out ram,add an ssd,later swap out your dvd drive bay for an ssd drive bay(fits where you’re dvd drive goes you can even put the same external cover on).By doing this the actual brand etc doesn’t matter so ,much because you’re swapping stuff out. Done right you’ll have a portable laptop with real desktop performance.

An independent graphics card is a plus,it all depends on the budget.Ssd drives are dropping all the time,ram is cheap as chips.MSI make some very fast laptops,16-24 gig of ram they are out and out performers.SSD and more ram will make a huge difference to most laptops.The 2nd ssd in the dvd drive bay is icing on the cake if you use it for caching after effects etc.

349 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
kops says

I love Dell Laptops. Picked up:

2.20Ghz i7-2670QM / 16GB Ram / WD7500BPKT HD / kick arse sound / GeForce GT 540M 2GB for £850.

Dell Resellers on Ebay are great if you catch them at the right time, You can get up to 40% off the listed price on the Dell website.

SnoopyIndustries
SnoopyIndustries Recent Posts Threads Started
343 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SnoopyIndustries says

I paid $1400 for my macbook pro 13’’ early 2011 model and its worth every dollar. I recently added a SSD to it(like $60) and 8GB ram(40$) so for $1500 I got a laptop that rocks, it runs like the first day and it definitely made its money.

If you do this all the time, investing in a good laptop is a must-do, no matter what it costs.

For web development I’d recommend macbook air :)

How do you cope with a 13” monitor? I always found those too small for proper use, but I guess that the rest of the device makes up for the small monitor, doesn’t it?

SnoopyIndustries
343 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SnoopyIndustries says

I’m looking at upgrading too. I am leaning towards an Asus with a core i5 processor. There’s one at Best Buy for $599 Asus – 15.6” Laptop – 6GB Memory – 750GB Hard Drive

I’d personally prefer a 17.3”, but that’s not important. Why won’t you go for a i7? Buying an i5 would find you two steps behind the tech after 6 months top. The price is extremely tempting though.

SnoopyIndustries
343 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SnoopyIndustries says

I bought Acer Aspire V3-571G with following specs: - Core i5 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M wth 1GB Dedicated VRAM + Discrete Integrated Intel Graphics - 4 GB DDR3 - 500GB HDD - Dolby - BT 4 .0 - USB 3 .0 - HD webcam

for $450!

You can look detailed specs online. My recommendation.

p.s. boost ram with another 4gb :)

I had an aspire one and wasn’t too satisfied of the performances. How big is the screen?

kops says

I love Dell Laptops. Picked up:

2.20Ghz i7-2670QM / 16GB Ram / WD7500BPKT HD / kick arse sound / GeForce GT 540M 2GB for £850.

Dell Resellers on Ebay are great if you catch them at the right time, You can get up to 40% off the listed price on the Dell website.

That was actually what I was looking at. It’s around 1200$, a bit over in most shops. Are you satisfied with it? Do you think that the I5 is at least comparable?

Cheers

281 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Serbia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
scrnjakovic says

15.6” I’m satisfied with mine :)

by
by
by
by