205 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
TJMusic says
Wow 12 years!!I used for some month:)What oms version do you use? 80?

It’s actually my 2nd pair already :) I got 250 ohms version, but I never cared about this, I use an awesome headphones amp that can drive anything.

do you guys use a headphone amp with your headphones?

Currently I use a custom made amp using full class A transistors mode. I used to be electronics hobbyist long time ago and I made it once. When connected with DT-770 and a decent CD player, I almost could hear production mistakes on Dire Straits recordings ;) so it’s the most analytic hi-end setup I can imagine and much more than I need for my own humble productions.

Of course it’s impossible to work with headphones only, but this thread is about headphones. And one more thing, I use a couple of low end headphones and speakers for mastering, to check how is the song going to sound on something much worse than studio high-end stuff.

339 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
joshhunsaker says

I have pretty good luck with the KRK KNS -6400 that I use right now. I used to use a variety of headphone amps which definitely made a difference. I think the best one that I owned was an Antique Soundlab MG HEAD DT OTL MKIII (I know… really long name):

http://www.divertech.com/aslmgheaddt.html

Phenomenal sound. Man, wish I still had it.

58 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
IDiewithguitar says

When connected with DT-770 and a decent CD player, I almost could hear production mistakes on Dire Straits recordings ;) so it’s the most analytic hi-end setup I can imagine and much more than I need for my own humble productions.

What do you think about differense in sound of DT770 80Ohm [no preamp] and 250 with headphone amp?

Romosel-Exclusive
Romosel-Exclusive Recent Posts Threads Started
361 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Russian Federation
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+2 more
Romosel-Exclusive says

AKG 240 Studio

60 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Italy
EdC_arts says

AKG 240 Studio

Yeah! It’s been about 20 years I’ve been using AKG K240DF . I couldn’t trade it for anything else, it’s part of me now :) I use them only to check my mixes or to listen to music. 600ohm.. argh..

920 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
jhunger says

I used a pair of AKG K240 headphones for the longest time, and recently moved to a pair of BeyerDynamic DT880 Pros. I like both, really, but I am now a BeyerDynamic convert. Besides the sound being IMO more accurate, they are extraordinarily comfortable and I literally forget I’m wearing them.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD280s I use for tracking (the 880s are open backed). They’re fine, but color the sound a little much for my tastes and aren’t anywhere near as comfortable as 880s or 240s. I don’t think I could wear them for any length of time – usually I take them off as soon as I’m done recording. I’m thinking about grabbing a pair of 770s for tracking – seems like they get positive reviews here.

I don’t have a dedicated headphone amp. I go directly out from a RME UCX , which is decent enough. I’ve looked vaguely at these and, unlike other equipment like mics/preamps/monitors, there’s not a lot of mid range choices. You’re either looking at a lot of options of (arguably) lower end equipment (a la Samson, Presonus, ART , Behringer) for about 100 USD or extremely expensive units like Burson audio or the Grace m903 for nearly 2000, but there’s not a lot of inbetween. So for me it doesn’t seem worth the investment either way. I’m interested to hear what other people think though.

33 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malaysia
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
iristsh says

Thanks for sharing guys, love you all!! It helps =) Seems like we have a majority of AKG fans here, quite surprise that no one is using Ultrasound and Audio Technica, which I have seen them being listed as the top headphones in some other websites. Anyhow, recommendations from genuine users like you all are valuable, thanks !

302 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
alkis says

When connected with DT-770 and a decent CD player, I almost could hear production mistakes on Dire Straits recordings ;) so it’s the most analytic hi-end setup I can imagine and much more than I need for my own humble productions.
What do you think about differense in sound of DT770 80Ohm [no preamp] and 250 with headphone amp?

Yes if someone could share their opinion on this one please!

224 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Europe
BlueLionMusic says

I’m actually using Audio Technica’s – ATH -M50, don’t have any other models to compare to but they sure sound great to my ears (very flat sound, they didn’t mess with eq) . They seem to be well designed as well as sturdy and u can buy them with or without coiled cable (curly cord), I prefer it with the coiled cable, looks cleaner on the desk. Great value for price imho ;)

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
+6 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Reviewer says

I can’t believe no one is using the mighty Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
I have been using them for over 10 years, they are awesome and I am so used to mixing with them. I could never switch to another model.

by
by
by
by
by
by