4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Hey guys,

Be more creative, I know you like these fonts but there are at least 200.000+ typefaces out there. Just a little piece of advice. ;)

3718 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

hahahahahahahaa!

I can’t believe you’ve actually made a thread about this, you must have smoke coming from your ears by now! :D

846 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
kaixer says

lol. the ugly truth. :grin:

3683 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

I guess I know Lobster. Never heard of TheNautigal, sounds good for flyers. Never used either of them myself. Maybe that’s why I don’t make the big bucks :)

35 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+4 more
simon-cpx says

I for one LOVE typography, and have oceans of cool and professional fonts, I’d LOVE to use in my items.

But… they are not free. And if they are not, the buyers would have to go buy them to use ones item. And thereby making the cost a lot more expensive.

So only using free fonts seems to be the only option. However, there’s a real lack of good and well designed free fonts out there. Maybe that’s some of the problem…

Just my 2c.

/Simon

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

But… they are not free. And if they are not, the buyers would have to go buy them to use ones item. And thereby making the cost a lot more expensive.

So only using free fonts seems to be the only option. However, there’s a real lack of good and well designed free fonts out there.

Just my 2c.

/Simon

I’m sorry but I don’t agree with you. Some of the best faces I’ve seen are free, you just need to search a little bit:

This one is a beautiful unconventional slab serif and it is free:

\\

846 posts
+4 more
kaixer says

I agree with Ivor. There are a lot of free font out there and in this case it is not only about the font, but author’s creativity. :grin:

35 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+4 more
simon-cpx says

I’m sorry but I don’t agree with you. Some of the best faces I’ve seen are free, you just need to search a little bit:

This one is a beautiful unconventional slab serif and it is free:

\\

Well, I agree that there a many beautiful free fonts out there – like the one you have shown. But the problem with that font, and most other free fonts, is that they are very special. Bobber is certainly not an all-round typeface, you might for example use for at business brochure. You just wouldn’t get any sales with that font as a headliner. It would be great for at 50’s style poster though. ;-)

For my items, I need good free work horses. Fonts that are acceptable for most businesses. And they are unfortunately scarse… in my opinion.

The sites you have linked too I know. And I have really been through the options. Most fonts are too unique for business purposes. For theme flyers and more it might be great. But for a brochure, not so much.

But Google Webfonts is actually one of the better places to go hunt.

3718 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

I tend to use FontSquirrel as they’re all free and specifically, all come with Commercial use licenses.

844 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
chrisatlemon says

I tend to agree with both sides are.

There are a lot of great free fonts are there, but we’re also not going to reinvent the wheel on every trifold we put up for sale. Let’s face it, most of us make no more than a few bucks on every flyer, how many hours of comparing free fonts does that warrant?

Having sat that, there certainly are fonts which are heavily overused … I fell in love with seafood but it does get a little tiring if you have it every day :) Also personally I do this for fun, because I like creating great looking things, and because of all the stuff I learn .. So for me browsing fonts is beneficial. For somebody releasing items because they need to earn the money it probably isn’t.

One of the problems I have with many free fonts is that often only one weight is free. And in most cases it is pretty useful to have at least two or three weights.

I have been developing a new brand and also came across the problem that the fonts I would have really like to use were unfortunately not free. I am therefore thinking of simply creating two versions: the one for GR, and the one with expensive fonts. Then I will simply say in my item:

You can use as is or you can customise using the following great fonts.

I do think there is a reason why some fonts cost a lot of money. Just like in photography there is a lot of great free stuff out there, but there’s also a reason why some photographers are being paid top dollar … Not everything can be free, and not everything free will always be as good… or in the case of fonts: as complete and as versatile. Many free fonts are great for a one off headline, not as workhorse typefaces.

But yes, I agree, there’s a lot of great free stuff out there if you spend the time. I was on Behance chasing fonts last night and eventually made to bed at 5 AM … lol :)

Cheers

Chris

by
by
by
by
by
by