6078 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

haha, came across many profiles with following format:

I am cool and not only sell here but giveaway my files for FREE , don’t miss them!

2660 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

...where you share files for free.
Some well know authors doing this…

Well then, some well known authors, should know better. :D

haha, came across many profiles with following format: I am cool and not only sell here but giveaway my files for FREE , don’t miss them!

That’s what reporting is for… it’s not being mean, but seriously, it drives trafic away from the markeplace, and hence from everyones files.

937 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Russian Federation
+1 more
permian says

In my case – I had a link to my store where most of items are links to Graphicriver and a few free items and a few items that are not in my GR portfolio.

I was going to do smth like that. (
Weird… but useful. Thanx.

6078 posts
+8 more
VF says

haha, came across many profiles with following format: I am cool and not only sell here but giveaway my files for FREE , don’t miss them!
That’s what reporting is for… it’s not being mean, but seriously, it drives trafic away from the markeplace, and hence from everyones files.

Noticed one of our forum moderator doing the same, so I thought it is a joke to report them. I mean the word “free” became a norm for this website! :) (due to bad examples)

Promote, promote, promote whatever you have on harddisk! :D

8291 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

I would say there is nothing wrong with having a portal which gives away free stuff because anyone who does it is simply using it as a marketing tool to push traffic to their files…

Look at ormanclark and premiumpixels, yeah there’s free PSDs but all his themes are there and it all links back to themeforest… nothing wrong with that. Anyone who finds his pp site will likely end up looking at themeforest hence making envato money.

The problem arises when you have items for sale from other places alongside your envato items, they likely won’t like that…

my 2c

6078 posts
+8 more
VF says

I would say there is nothing wrong with having a portal which gives away free stuff because anyone who does it is simply using it as a marketing tool to push traffic to their files…

That is fine but the way the link provided in the profile page is a concern. Some authors seems to prefer emphasing the very word “Free” on profile page near the link, that’s where the spirit of sincerity vanishes and possibility of potential buyer diversion starts.

362 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
Philo01 Envato team says

Forum Rules

Self promotion is not allowed on the forums, for examples and clarification, see the below section title A Note on Self Promotion. In addition, promoting outside services or competitors is not allowed on the forums.
A Note on Self Promotion Because of the commercial nature of the Envato networks, authors are expected to understand and respect the fact that using the forum to post links to one’s own items, or to give away free files to the community, is not allowed. This practice effectively undercuts the hard work of all authors who wish to sell their items fairly, and as such it is not tolerated.

User Terms and Conditions – Linking to the Sites

You agree that if you include a link from any other web site to the Sites, such link must link to the full version of an HTML formatted page of the Sites. You are not permitted to link directly to any image hosted on the Sites or our services, such as using an “in-line” linking method to cause the image hosted by us to be displayed on another web site. You agree not to download or use images hosted on the Sites on another web site, for any purpose, including, without limitation, posting such images on another web site. You agree not to link from any other web site to the Sites in any manner such that the Sites, or any page of the Sites, is “framed,” surrounded or obfuscated by any third party content, materials or branding. We reserve our right to insist that any link to the Sites be discontinued, and to revoke your right to link to the Sites from any other web site at any time upon written notice to you.

User Terms and Conditions – Third Party Sites.

You may be able to move from the Sites to third party web sites (Linked Sites). You acknowledge and agree that we have no responsibility for the information, content, products, services, advertising, code or other materials which may or may not be provided by or through Linked Sites, even if they are owned or run by affiliates of ours. The inclusion of any link to such web sites on our Sites does not imply Envato’s endorsement, sponsorship, or recommendation of that web site. Envato disclaims any liability for links to another web site.

So based on these rules I assume it’s allowed to link to third-party sites from your profile. The Self promotion rules only apply to the forum. Please correct me if I’m wrong ;)

1694 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

If we don’t promote ourselves , then who does ? ;)

6078 posts
+8 more
VF says

If we don’t promote ourselves , then who does ? ;)

lol :D

How about this… AuthorX links AuthorY’s free files and AuthorY links AuthorX’s free files. This is not self promotion :P

by
by
by
by
by
by