3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
CaptainBell says

Hey guys,

Currently developing a theme I plan to put on themeforest. I am wondering about the laws regarding plugins on the Wordpress repository.

There are a bunch of basic widgets that I wish to customize and include with the theme. Am I allowed to get the code from the plugins and put in my functions? (or another file that functions.php does a REQUIRE/INCLUDE for)

If I can, do I need to keep the plugin’s credit? or any credit anywhere for that matter?

Thanks guys.

332 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says
63 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Italy
Kronris says

https://github.com/thomasgriffin/TGM-Plugin-Activation
Quote, you can use this plugin to tell to your customer which plugin your theme needs to work.
3 posts
CaptainBell says

Thanks for the replies guys, but surely it is better for the user experience if they come bundled in? A lot of theme users are novices and I’d rather simplify it for them as much as possible.

I’m only really talking about basic widgets (facebook like box, twitter feed, popular posts, etc).

Even if I were to use TGM P.A, i’d like to learn more about licenses and what you can do and can’t do. Is the scenario in my first post legal?

Thanks again.

636 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

As far as I know you can use them as long as their license allows you to do it. And yes, it’s better they come “bundled” :grin:

3 posts
CaptainBell says

Most licenses seem to be under GPLv2. I tried reading up on it, but it sounds so confusing! Do you guys bundle GPLv2 plugins? Do you need to give specific credit, etc?

102 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
2winFactor says

As far as I know, you can include it bundled with the theme, as long as the GPL stays GPL. Here’s a topic (if old) that addresses it:

http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/you-can-include-wordpress-plugins-with-your-theme/27023?page=1

Andre

by
by
by
by
by
by