42 posts
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
indiapart says

Hi, I have a question. I know, that exclusive authors must sell their items exclusively only on Themeforest. But what, if I want to sell my theme (it’s about my Halo theme here: http://themeforest.net/item/halo-stunning-html-portfolio-theme/302260 which also is available for HTML by the way here on Themeforest) for an other CMS ? Some private or less known or anything? So I’m not selling exactly the items I’m selling here on Themeforest, but I sell the same design. Do I have to make me an unexclusive author, then?

Kind regards, indiapart.

356 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
FutureSight says

You should speak to Support, but as far as I am concern my interpretation of rules tells me you can’t do that because you try to sell same design and this is the main part of each website. It doesn’t matter if you code it in HTML , WP, Joomla, Ruby or Python.

42 posts
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
indiapart says

I’m not a tattletale so I won’t tell names, but if it’s like You say there are a hole bunch of highly encouraged and well selling authors who broke the rules. Also, in my opinion, it would be more logical if Envato would allow this. If someone has seen my theme and want to buy it, but uses only WordPress but the site is done in Joomla, he will come to Themeforest anyway (apart from loading a nulled version somewhere). And the theme does spread more and possibly even makes some subtile marketing. So it would be a Win-Win Situation. I also don’t think the main point about this stategy is not to hold the Themes as unique as possible (as they’re spreading on Themeforest probably best anyway) but to make Themeforest (or other Envato marketplace sites) the only source for a specifical Theme. Just my theory :D But if nobody from the Envato stuff will response here, I will ask the support.

Thanks for Your thoughts =) and kind regards, indiapart.

356 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
FutureSight says

:)

3424 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+5 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Exclusivity only applies to an individual product. So if you sell a WordPress Theme here, you can’t sell that same WordPress theme elsewhere. But if you create a similar Joomla theme (that you aren’t selling here), that’s a different product, so you’re allowed to sell that anywhere you want.

As long as the product you want to sell elsewhere can be considered a separate product from what you’re selling here, you can do what you like. This is how some authors give away the PSDs for the WordPress themes they sell here – they are two distinct products, even if they are similar/overlap.

by
by
by
by
by
by