Awesome info!

2010 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing! Very interesting indeed!

589 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

As well as being impressive, it kind of depresses me at the same time as I don’t see how authours (especially new ones) can realistically compete without a massive dose of luck, help from Envato with exposure and / or full-time marketing.

Like pz said ‘It amazes me that an author now needs 1,000 sales just to make it into the top 100 and nearly 2,000 to make the top 50’ – those kind of numbers are extremely difficult to reach (so a big hats off to the top authours, it’s an impressive achievement for sure). However, that goal is forever disappearing into the horizon despite working hard, or at least it feels that way.

I’ve been getting steady sales pretty much since I started uploading here a year and a bit ago, but even with a lot of effort marketing / promoting, trying to engage via social media etc and writing new material (with particular focus on writing tracks that sell here), there hasn’t been an increase in my earnings that reflects the effort i.e. I’ve had the same level of sales since the middle of last year despite consistently building my portfolio. It’s as if there’s a bottleneck / threshold for my sales.

That’s a bit dispiriting don’t you think? Doesn’t fall in line with the ‘just keep writing good new material’ and ‘your portfolio is too small, you need to build it’ comments I’ve seen around here. And the tracks do sell, even if it’s just a couple here and there, so I’m confident the music is not the issue, but maybe the exposure, lack of focus in my portfolio or maybe just lack of luck is the root? Who knows…

Sorry to bring a downer to the table, but stats like these are impressive from a business growth perspective, but not so impressive when you put them into context as a non-top-100 authour, they kind of hammer home the seemingly impossible task of making a living from stock music.

606 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

@ TacoMusic. +1 all the way. I’ve been going the exact same thing, first six months here I saw such steady growth, I really thought I was on my way but now nothing has changed. I keep my rank and my sales volume/earnings don’t vary anymore. It almost feels like I’ve been put in my place and the market has told me exactly where I belong.

Yeah people say “Upload more, keep writing, get better etc.” and yeah it’s all true but at the same time there is a limit and it seems that perhaps there are limitations to some of our production abilities/composition abilities but I also think that end of the day some people are more naturally in-tune with the market than others. End of the day I chose to write jazz/world/classical music on AJ so I shouldn’t complain as to why I don’t get the same sales as others but it does reach a point where you’re giving it a lot and you’re wondering whether you’ll ever advance.

No matter what I am not giving up on AJ. Since I’ve gone back to studying I really need the extra money and AJ has been very good to me in that respect so giving it my all I will.

On a side note though, I have seen some damn strong authors come here recently but have a hard time getting sales as the market is so saturated now, some make it and push through whilst others just find it hard. Keep trying and let’s hope the customer base/consumption increases so we can all get a hefty amount of sales in the upcoming seasons!

666 posts Allegro120 Composer
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Allegro120 says

I think it’s a mixture of all the above.

Compositional quality.

Production quality.

Luck.

Persistence.

Videohive.

There are very good tracks in the “Bestsellers”

There are very bad tracks in the “Bestsellers”

There are very good tracks lost in the depths of AJ.

There are very bad tracks lost in the depths of AJ.

There are authors with sales evenly across its portfolio. There are authors with thousands of sales of single track.

But for me the most important is Videohive, if an author Videohive top includes a track yours … you can say that your life will change.

810 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

But for me the most important is Videohive, if an author Videohive top includes a track yours … you can say that your life will change.

I’ve heard it many times but I really can’t see how does it make a difference. It’s like saying that if an AJ author puts a link to a VH author then the latter will prosper form that moment on… I have many works used by VH authors, I really can’t see any change in sales before and after.

584 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
Sophonic says

I’ve heard it many times but I really can’t see how does it make a difference. It’s like saying that if an AJ author puts a link to a VH author then the latter will prosper form that moment on… I have many works used by VH authors, I really can’t see any change in sales before and after.

100% disagree with this one.. (Not your stats but in general)

It all depends on the type of videohive projects and how good they sell, but yeah they can make a big difference and most importantly keep sales coming in steady.

349 posts
+3 more
MeGustaMusic says

Nice Post, and very good feedback by the authors, kind of philosophical

890 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
JohnRosso says

I found a lot of interesting information over here :) Thanks

scoringaudiogeeks
scoringaudiogeeks Recent Posts Threads Started
591 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
scoringaudiogeeks says

Well, we made a christmas logo for Christmas 2011… it sold aroundish 5 times… Then there was this superpopular Videohive-project using it Christmas 2012… it sold +200 times… so buyers just thought that let’s dig sooo deep pile of Christmas logos and buy this one… nope

point is that there needs to be like luck on item getting on videohive-project which has some luck to sell a lot which helps AJ-item to sell a lot and so on….

Usually our tracks in Videohive -items have 1 – 5 or 1 – 6 ratio meaning for every 5 Videohive-project our track sells once.

by
by
by
by
by
by