291 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

I’m about to buy my first Ukulele, does anybody have suggestions about brands or models with a good price/quality ratio?

This recent thread has a ton of great advice on what to consider when purchasing your first uke. I know I will be coming back to refer to it when I eventually jump on the bandwagon :). The prepared ukes from “mimsukes” as suggested by DanHood sounds very promising/convenient.

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/purchasing-a-ukulele-need-advice-/90353?page=1
85 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
pietrogirardi says

I’m about to buy my first Ukulele, does anybody have suggestions about brands or models with a good price/quality ratio?

This recent thread has a ton of great advice on what to consider when purchasing your first uke. I know I will be coming back to refer to it when I eventually jump on the bandwagon :). The prepared ukes from “mimsukes” as suggested by DanHood sounds very promising/convenient.

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/purchasing-a-ukulele-need-advice-/90353?page=1
Great, thank you SwartzSound for the link!
922 posts Go Acoustic!
    Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

jhunger, this is great! I am glad someone took the initiative. I record Uke the same way as you, but my mic is a C-460b. That runs into a 70’s API pre. I use just a bit of compression more for the tone then the “squish” (Waves stuff) and just a touch of EQ. My room has a bump at about 385Hz and another at around 160Hz. The only difference is where I want the Uke to sit in a mix. if it is prominent, then I record closer to the source, if it is a background instrument, then I back up about a foot or so to get a bit of my room. (acoustically treated, but I still have to add more)

Thanks for the info! That’s interesting about the placement for a background instrument, but it makes perfect sense – I may try that next time :)

922 posts Go Acoustic!
    Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

Thank you JHunger. finally a wise use of this forum (anybody tired of the “red/black/silver paw/50/100/200 sales/congrats threads? Wouldn’t it be nice to create a separate forum for those?). I’m about to buy my first Ukulele, does anybody have suggestions about brands or models with a good price/quality ratio?

Thank you,
Pietro

Thanks! Yeah, I think that we’re missing an opportunity sometimes. Looks like SchwartzSound hooked you up with the right thread – the takeaway from that (for me) is that Kala ukuleles are a great bang for the buck.

@stuck – I should change my strings probably about as often as I should change my guitar strings :). Probably once every two months the rate I play this thing. Aquila strings are what they recommend in the Hawaii stores at lease.

922 posts Go Acoustic!
+5 more
jhunger says

Aquila strings are what they recommend in the Hawaii stores at lease.

Um, I meant “at least.” I don’t lease my strings – I buy them outright.

Anywho…

All right, I put together some quick sound samples on SoundCloud here. I apologize in advance for you having to stare at my ugly mug while listening :)

I’m not sure how well this is going to work in the context of this thread because it turned into a mic shootout instead. Here are the parameters:

1. Each mic was about 6 inches from the sound hole, angled slightly but pointing to it.
2. The preamp used was a Forssell SMP-500. It’s a little more transparent than the pre I use on most of my tunes here.
3. Ukulele is a Kala KA-A8AC Concert (in dire need of a string change). Also I’m hearing some buzzing there, I may have to address that soon. Also keep in mind that each track was a single take :) First part is strumming, the second is some light fingerpicking, for each track.
4. I tried to adjust for volume the best I could, but otherwise no effects have been applied to the signal.
5. I decided not to do a blind shootout because we’re not testing mic knowledge here, but getting a feel for different flavors of various mics.

Mics used:

Shure SM81 – small diaphragm condenser, cardioid
AKG C451B – small diaphragm condenser, cardioid
Neumann KM184 – small diaphragm condenser, cardioid
Little Blondie – small diaphragm condenser, omni
Oktava MK012 (modded by Oktavamod) – small diaphragm condenser, cardioid
SM58 – dynamic, cardioid
SM7b – dynamic, cardioid

Enjoy!

205 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
TJMusic says

This thread is definitely useful one. I’ve just bought my first ukulele today :) After some practice, I’ll try to record it with my old Shure 16A mic – it’s a small condenser mic with very bright, sometimes too sharp sound. Worked nice with acoustic guitars, I suppose it may work out great with uke.

75 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in Europe
+1 more
lion-audio says

Hey Stuck in the Basement, I’m just trying out your ukulele technique on my very first uke track, since i seem to have the exact same setup (crappy room / Nt1a / crappy ukulele – not sure if yours is crappy, too). thanks for sharing, everybody!
Cool, let me know how that works for you! And yes, my Ukulele is pretty cheap. I did not know any better when I bought it, oh well… still works for the little use I make of it. By the way Ukulele experts, how often do you change the strings on these bad boys?

So my first Uke-Track went online yesterday. As mentioned before, I used stuck-in-the-basement´s identical setup, just instead of doubling the takes, i just copied them and moved one maybe 15ms for the spread. ah yes, and added some delay. thanks for all the useful info, guys. keep those threads coming! they are really precious!

396 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
illuminations says

Aquila strings are what they recommend in the Hawaii stores at lease.

Um, I meant “at least.” I don’t lease my strings – I buy them outright.

Anywho…

All right, I put together some quick sound samples on SoundCloud here. I apologize in advance for you having to stare at my ugly mug while listening :)

I’m not sure how well this is going to work in the context of this thread because it turned into a mic shootout instead. Here are the parameters:

1. Each mic was about 6 inches from the sound hole, angled slightly but pointing to it.
2. The preamp used was a Forssell SMP-500. It’s a little more transparent than the pre I use on most of my tunes here.
3. Ukulele is a Kala KA-A8AC Concert (in dire need of a string change). Also I’m hearing some buzzing there, I may have to address that soon. Also keep in mind that each track was a single take :) First part is strumming, the second is some light fingerpicking, for each track.
4. I tried to adjust for volume the best I could, but otherwise no effects have been applied to the signal.
5. I decided not to do a blind shootout because we’re not testing mic knowledge here, but getting a feel for different flavors of various mics.

Mics used:

Shure SM81 – small diaphragm condenser, cardioid
AKG C451B – small diaphragm condenser, cardioid
Neumann KM184 – small diaphragm condenser, cardioid
Little Blondie – small diaphragm condenser, omni
Oktava MK012 (modded by Oktavamod) – small diaphragm condenser, cardioid
SM58 – dynamic, cardioid
SM7b – dynamic, cardioid

Enjoy!

I love mic shootouts!! thanks JHunger for doing that. I think I like the Neumann the best followed by the akg. Surprisingly I thought the SM58 did a real decent job as well. You don’t get much of the “body” of the uke but I thought it captured a pretty workable sound. My least favorite was the little blondie. No low mids and the highs weren’t that clear to me. Of course, depending on the context of how it is being used it could still work in the right situation.

922 posts Go Acoustic!
+5 more
jhunger says

This thread is definitely useful one. I’ve just bought my first ukulele today :) After some practice, I’ll try to record it with my old Shure 16A mic – it’s a small condenser mic with very bright, sometimes too sharp sound. Worked nice with acoustic guitars, I suppose it may work out great with uke.

Nice! I’ve never tried a 16A, but it sounds similar to what I like for uke – nice bright SDC. Congratulations on the uke purchase!

327 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
TimOstanin says

Nice thread Joel! I have one question… whether there is VST, better than from Wavesfactory ?

by
by
by
by
by
by