• Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
SoundFix says

There you go!

I just don’t understand why you EQ so heavily. It’s best if suitable, not too boost but carve out the frequencies around the ones you want to hear. If you have to boost, make it 1-2 dB, not 8 and above. I would also use much tigher Q’s when boosting too, because you’re actually boosting so many frequencies around the selected number. and I wouldn’t put a low pass filter on the high end of these EQ’s either as there’s a lot of important sound in that area.

Just my 2 cents as they say here ;)

97 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Green_Eyes says

There you go!

I just don’t understand why you EQ so heavily. It’s best if suitable, not too boost but carve out the frequencies around the ones you want to hear. If you have to boost, make it 1-2 dB, not 8 and above. I would also use much tigher Q’s when boosting too, because you’re actually boosting so many frequencies around the selected number. and I wouldn’t put a low pass filter on the high end of these EQ’s either as there’s a lot of important sound in that area.

Just my 2 cents as they say here ;)
That is my way. And I’m actually happy with it. I do think it sounds better that way :)
505 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
NoizMan says

More than 3:1 ratio Noizman? Are talking about brickwalling the bass?

Yes my friend. Sometimes I use a limiter ( like waves L1 ) after the compressor to nail the bass to its place. Generally I do this with rock and energetic pop songs.

662 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
PaBlikMM says

Eh, this EQ is really insane IMO :) For me is better to record the bass as it is and play wit the “bass amp” setting.

Add some lower mid around 400-800Hz and play with the compression, bass box, mic posittion (talking about some virtual amps like Ampeg from IK or GuitarRig5 bass amps).

Adding lower mids gives the bass sound more “visibility” in the mix and does not affect the BD :) But it always depends on the song you´re mixing and sound you want to make :)

My 2 cents

Pavel “CHA!”

97 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Green_Eyes says

Eh, this EQ is really insane IMO :) For me is better to record the bass as it is and play wit the “bass amp” setting.

Add some lower mid around 400-800Hz and play with the compression, bass box, mic posittion (talking about some virtual amps like Ampeg from IK or GuitarRig5 bass amps).

Adding lower mids gives the bass sound more “visibility” in the mix and does not affect the BD :) But it always depends on the song you´re mixing and sound you want to make :)

My 2 cents

Pavel “CHA!”
That “sick” EQing is good for some heavy rock stuff to break through fat heavy guitars. Not for some acoustic stuff I think :)
97 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Green_Eyes says

Ok guys here is the bass with that EQing. I think it’s pretty good sounding. This bass you can hear even through some laptop and cellphone speakers. https://soundcloud.com/russell-g-2/loaded-gun-bass-track

118 posts
  • Exclusive Author
TheStoryShop says

For Electric Bass: boosting around 400 Hz or/and 800 Hz makes the bass audible. I also double the bass channel, cut below 120-130 Hz and insert a guitar amp plug-in for a little overdrive. If you balance two channels good, you will have the bass in your face without disturbing the ears.

It is also very important to isolate the bass and the kick drum. Try not to boost them on the same frequencies.

If you have other instruments with fat bottom ( synths or strings maybe) EQ them to make a good space for your bass guitar.

I hope these tips may help :)

NoizMan, I have you to thank for this tip! My bass sounds exactly how I was wanting. Thank you so much! :bigsmile:

75 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
lion-audio says

This is some amazing info guys and will definitely change my way of mixing bass in the future. thank you all for your input (—output..?)!

@ Soundfix

i doubled a bassline once by playing the same thing on a guitar. Worked really well for the track, but i find it “colours” a lot and might therefore not be suited for many genres

@Noizman

really interesting and practical info here. definitely going to check out your eq settings and the parallel channel tweak.

@RecicledRecitals

You are right about not wanting to cater for low end speakers. of course it is most important, as in any professional music, to make it sound at least good on ANY soundsystem. ha! i just had the picture in my head of a studio with two smartphones as monitors.. .

@GreenEyes

i will give your heavy eq-ing a go, too for sure. but i worry a bit about burning my hardware, so i will start more shallow :-)

One more thing: @everybody

keep those “Audio Education Threads” (original idea by vaisnava) coming! Many authors can learn many things here -> raise the overall quality and -> BOOM.

love,

alex

505 posts
  • Exclusive Author
NoizMan says

For Electric Bass: boosting around 400 Hz or/and 800 Hz makes the bass audible. I also double the bass channel, cut below 120-130 Hz and insert a guitar amp plug-in for a little overdrive. If you balance two channels good, you will have the bass in your face without disturbing the ears.

It is also very important to isolate the bass and the kick drum. Try not to boost them on the same frequencies.

If you have other instruments with fat bottom ( synths or strings maybe) EQ them to make a good space for your bass guitar.

I hope these tips may help :)
NoizMan, I have you to thank for this tip! My bass sounds exactly how I was wanting. Thank you so much! :bigsmile:

Happy to hear that mate :)

@Noizman

really interesting and practical info here. definitely going to check out your eq settings and the parallel channel tweak.

Pls tell the results when you try the tricks my friend ;)

157 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
EvAndree says

There you go!

Hey there you go! Now just bring back in some those low mids and take em out of the kick and then we really have something!

by
by
by
by
by
by