232 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
placdarms Envato team says

Going through the queues and seeing a lot of low quality files i was wondering how to improve this.

Approved/rejected files ratio for each author should be taken into account. There are some authors with this ratio being 50:50 or even more than 50 for rejected files. Seams that authors like that just upload whatever junk comes into mind hoping to get through. in reality this slows down review queues for everyone because reviewers has to go through those files, point out the reasons and sometimes even arguing with the authors. If this ratio would be monitored and taken into account when some important decisions are made (like author ratings, commission rates, possibility to get featured etc) authors would think twice before submitting junk.

Thoughts?

3946 posts After Effects Templates
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
miseld says

Why not take few samples of “Junk” and paste screenshoots (something like Files We Do and Don’t Need), so they can know what kind of quality will be accepted and what will not be accepted. I think many of new authors even don’t know what quality is acceptable. Maybe this way you will slow Low quality files to be submited.

232 posts
+9 more

well it would be normal for new authors to miss the quality level, but I’m more concerned here about authors that has 20+ submissions and half or even most of them don’t make it through.

It’s a bit hard to point out some low quality examples because there are no trends in them. They’re just random files with poor or no concepts behind them.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

I think that rejection ratios will vary depending on the marketplace. For example, an author can probably create/submit files much faster for GraphicRiver or PhotoDune than they can for ThemeForest or CodeCanyon.

I’m guessing that your frustration is something that all reviewers go through. With a lot of authors (or wanna-be authors) you can explain to them until you’re blue in the face exactly what standards you’re looking for but they’ll still upload whatever they think is worthy of approval. That’s probably true in all marketplaces.

I don’t see any reason to punish people further besides sending out that rejection email. I didn’t think that you were required to provide feedback or respond to their arguments anyway (although I was always soooo grateful for it whenever I was rejected) so why not just reject it and move on?

343 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
JackHowell says

Plus, quality is subjective. What might seem high quality to you might look low quality to a reviewer. Possibly out of frustration authors are uploading more in an attempt to ‘scatter shot’ their chances of approval (thus choking the review queue).

It’s tricky to say outright ‘stop uploading low quality stuff’ if the person responsible doesn’t identify it as such. :S

Edit: +1 to what JamiGibbs said above.

232 posts
+9 more
JamiGibbs said
I don’t see any reason to punish people further besides sending out that rejection email.

Because that way we’re dealing with outcome not with cause/source.

But I agree – it’s not the same for all marketplaces. I’m coming from VideoHive which is somewhere in middle between GraphicRiver and ThemeForest (calculating by time it takes to prepare a submission).

Even if this is not changing anything major in how authors are evaluated – at least i hope it would rise awareness in authors to think twice before creating/submitting. Also it could give some ideas to developers if something like this is going to be implemented sometime.

1047 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
survivor says

Even if I like your Idea placdarms I also like slow queue ;) Just because my files stay on main page longer when reviewers have to spend time with going through all those files and then reject it :D

EDIT : ... btw, I’m curious about overall approved/rejected ratio of items on GR, is it possible to reveal us some numbers?

31 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
salutovidiu says

The most efficient and elegant way to minimize the queue is to ask each new potential author to submit 10 works for evaluation before the`re granted said author status. Same as most stock photo sites. You can submit portfolio for review once a month. Failing to obtain author status you can refine the portfolio and try next month. So on and so forth.

Granted this will somehow limit the number of potential authors, but all the big stock sites have some form of gating for new users to prevent massive queues of sub par items.

I don`t see any serious graphic designer not having at least 10 pieces in his portfolio.

English is second language for me, hope I made enough sense.

DiogoRedinDevelopment
DiogoRedinDevelopment Recent Posts Threads Started
564 posts
  • Located in Portugal
  • Contributed a blog post
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
DiogoRedinDevelopment says
salutovidiu said
The most efficient and elegant way to minimize the queue is to ask each new potential author to submit 10 works for evaluation before the`re granted said author status. Same as most stock photo sites. You can submit portfolio for review once a month. Failing to obtain author status you can refine the portfolio and try next month. So on and so forth.

+1 Great idea!

1282 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

that’s a good idea, some kind of self-correcting rule, such as “if __% of your files submitted or greater or rejected, then you can’t submit files again at all for another 30 days”... that’ll cause authors of crappy files to think twice before submitting.

example if someone submits 16 files and 12 are rejected, then they get put on probation/can’t submit for at least 30 days… something like that, to make life easier on reviewers and encourage higher quality submissions..

otherwise reviewers and envato will get slowed down going through junk files and sending rejection notices all the time, wading hip-deep in crappy files… so some kind of punitive probation for “submitters of crap files” should be implemented, I’d recommend testing it…

by
by
by
by
by
by