1093 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
lifwanian says

Hey guys, so last weekend I ended up getting robbed, where they took all of my computer equipment. Bastards took my Macbook Pro and everything.

So, I’m now wondering if it is worth upgrading to the Retina. I do love everything about it, however, the Retina part does worry me a bit. I’ve seen a few of my friends’ Retina models, and everything that is not retina ready looks like total shit. Browsing the web for instance looked better on my regular macbook than their retinas.

So for those with Retina models, are there specific configurations you can do to make things look better? How is it for programs such as Photoshop? I would mostly be doing the standard web development, photoshop, some flash and video, etc…

Also, is 8gb enough? I will for sure get the 512gb SSD , but is 8gb “plenty” for you or do you recommend to go higher?

I know there are many blogs and articles about this, but I’d rather check in with actual designers and developers.

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
digitalimpact says

Hey, I have one: base model with 16GB RAM . I strongly suggest to max out the RAM ; it’s not that expensive and you’ll be stuck with it. Actually, max out everything you can afford.

With regards to browsing the web, the only problem I see is browser support. Safari has it, Chrome only in Canari, Firefox only in the nightly (soon to come to Aurora).

Specific configurations? The only thing that worries me is the panel manufacturer. I have an LG, as they were the primary supplier, but if you’re lucky maybe you get a Samsung. LG users, as you probably know, have reported some app-ghosting issues (artifacts of an app remaining on the screen; mine is fine). There is a Terminal command to test for that and, if you unfortunately get an LG with ghosting, you can keep on returning it until you get a Samsung :) (if you’re willing to wait, that is…)

Overall I’m EXTREMELY pleased with the machine and the screen itself, it’s amazing and definitely worth the money. I may be biased though, as this was my first Mac :)

Anything else, do let me know.

10 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Denmark
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
mopeygoal says

Hi, I just replaced my old 17” Mac Book Pro which I loved. I bought the new Retina Mac with 16GB, and I absolutly love it. It’s super fast, thinner, lighter and very quiet. But best of all the screen is fantastic.

I strongly recommend you buy it :)

194 posts Dreams Money Can Buy
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
SwiftIdeas says

+1 for recommendation. Seriously incredible laptop. Would also advise you to max out the RAM .

- Ed

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

One thing you’ll notice over using a Retina and your old laptop, is battery life.

My old MBP , using Photoshop + Browsing the web + listening to music + emailing + Skype, I’d get about 45-60min from battery, with the Retina I can get around 4hours out of it.

Definitely worth the price tag, upgrade to 16GB too if you can :)

954 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

My old MBP , using Photoshop + Browsing the web + listening to music + emailing + Skype, I’d get about 45-60min from battery, with the Retina I can get around 4hours out of it.

Or is it new battery vs used battery?

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

My old laptop wasn’t that old tbf, and I keep the battery health quite high by going through full charge cycles with it, but possibly.

I think it’s mainly because the Retina handles my heavy Photoshop use much better.

My old one was ‘ok’ when just browsing, but as soon as I fired up Photoshop it just drained it, doesn’t seem to happen with this one though.

228 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Greece
+2 more
corethemes says

Sorry to kind of hijack the thread, but does anyone know of any tool / method to test how a website looks on a retina screen? I don’t have the money to buy such hardware right now, but I want all my items from now on to have retina support :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by