274 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Hey guys,

I am really thinking to start learning drums. I mean…I play some simple crappy rhythms already but I really want to improve. When it comes to keyboard drumming, im doing pretty good :) cause I get to record each part separately :)

So to get to the point. I want to buy some E-Drums for the beginning. Could you please recommend me some? What do I have to look for while searching by myself? I don’t need a big setup of course…you know…kick,snare, 2 toms, a crash a high hat… I would be happy if the E-Drums would have some nice tones and of course it has to be able to connect to the PC for recording (somewhere in the future :) ))

Thanks a lot guys, waiting for your opinions.

202 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
LGuitarB says

I bought EZ drummer some time ago. Fairly easy to use, sounds very natural, but I think I’ll eventually have to spend amother 60 dollars or so for an extension set for more sounds.

You don’t hear it on any of my current uploads here, by the way.

765 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Waderman says

Hi, may be this one: http://www.thomann.de/de/roland_hd3_vdrum_lite_set.htm
I guess there cheaper ones with same performance. Millenium e.g.: http://www.thomann.de/de/millenium_mps400_edrum_stereo_set.htm

274 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
JumaStudios says

Thanks guys…I was pretty much thinking about the Millenium ones from Thomann. I guess they are ok for the beginning. And 375 euros is not that bad.

27 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
G_Randy_Brown says

I bought a Roland TD-4 kit I’m pretty happy with for the price (under $(900 USD new but probably well under $500 used).
The snare comes with a mesh head and has a pretty responsive and realistic feel.
You mentioned you want it to have good sounds…keep in mind for recording at some point, you’ll probably be using your software sounds driven by MIDI… The cool thing about recording MIDI is you can edit each note afterwards depending on what DAW you use.
As Laurent mentioned EZ-Drummer is nice and I think some of the kits in Sonar X2/ Session Drummer has some decent sounds (at least some of the 3rd party vendors do).
Good luck and have fun shopping,
Randy

90 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
GarryONeal says

I’d like to hear from more AJ composers who have e-drums and use them regularly in their music. I’m a pretty decent drummer, and play (enter?) my drums with a midi keyboard. I’m especially fond of Addictive Drums sampled drum software. I’ve often considered a set of e-drums to trigger the samples, but it really seems like an added step to me. I know that once I record the drum part with the e-drums (via MIDI) I’ll still spend time editing the part in my DAW. What if I want to change a drum roll? Am I going to set everything up to record and then get up and go over to the e-drum kit to play it, or am I just going to whip it out on the keyboard? It’s not going to sound any different. So…any accomplished drummers here on AJ who primarily use e-drums in their work and are sold doing it that way? (Of course if I had a real kit mic’d well in a good room, I wouldn’t be having this conversation.)

BTW, I can report that the Akai MPD 16-pad type of midi gear is NOT the way to go to control MIDI drums. Not nearly sensitive enough for multi-sampled drum software.

Garry O

by
by
by
by
by
by