1465 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says

I vote Gareth as the most helpful forum user.

1001 posts Where words leave off, music begins.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+7 more
AlumoAudio says

+1 Me too. Had pretty much the same problem. Now completely solved thanks to Gareth’s superbly detailed post. Go on Envato, give him one of those twinkling stars! :)

97 posts
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
randomnoise says

maybe I can reroute them on seperate outputs and make up for it with less CPU hungry Presonus built in fx.

You can! :)

But then you’d be missing out on some of the essential work that the NI sound designers put into these instruments (that obviously went into the built-in effects and the related presets). The samples themselves are good, but not that superior to other good libraries. That’s why I admittedly don’t really get the concept of these drum instruments.

And since I want to have full control over each and every drum sample anyway, i’ll probably go on working with my beloved selfmade drumkits in battery forever… ;)

PS: If you’re having problems figuring out HOW to route each bus to a separate output, contact me…

29 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in Germany
+2 more
aj-guitar says

IMHO you should upgrade to a modern OS (Win7). WinXP sucks in multicore performance and there is a reason why Steinberg, NI and others don’t support WinXP anymore…

688 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+5 more
robGD Volunteer moderator says

You could always freeze the track in the mean time. Let your machine live a little longer to save up a little more to get a beefier machine. ;)

snip from site:

“Track Transform and Event-Based Effects

Studio One now features an innovative Track Transform feature, as well as event-based effects.

Audio and instrument tracks feature the new Transform feature, which you can think of as a very flexible alternative to “freezing.” An entire audio track can be rendered in place with one click, removing any inserted effects plug-ins and conserving CPU power while still allowing normal editing. One click restores the original audio events and any inserted effects.

One click can also transform an instrument track into an audio track, and the audio can then be edited normally. (Notes are displayed as a clear indication that the audio has been transformed from an instrument.) This conserves a lot of CPU power with today’s advanced virtual instruments, and it opens many creative possibilities that were too bothersome to attempt before now. And, as you might guess, one click brings the instrument track right back.

Furthermore, every audio event in the arrangement has its own insert device rack, where any number of effects can be inserted, just like the insert device rack found on all mixer channels. When the desired sound is achieved, these effects can be rendered with a single click, removing the effects plug-in and conserving CPU power. And of course, one click can restore the effects for further editing at any time.”

611 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
Basspartout says

Hey guys, thank you all so much for your help, tips and support :)

I switched off the multiprozessor mode in Kontakt but this didnt make a noticable difference so far. But I must admit, there are certain irregularities with my system, although everything runs with the new processor (except Firefox!!!), I dont really feel I can ‘trust’ it anymore.
For example, although I invested in a supposedly good and quiet cooler, I have to turn on the automatic Energy saving modus, otherwise, if the CPU runs full speed all the time, the cooler noise is much too loud for recording.
I will get Win7 as soon as possible and set up a new system.

@Gareth,
you are completely right, the only thing that makes Abbey Road Modern Drummer usable is turning off all the effects by loading the INIT set. Sounds ridiculously poor!! and the CPU load is still much bigger than EZdrummer or Addictive Drums with effects!! for example) and I dont know if I’m more angry at NI for that than being astonished that they manage to make these rather shitty samples sound so great through all the effects. Of course, If I’d known the ‘CPU price’ of that, I would not have bought it. So like this, it is a future investment.

@randomnoise, thanks, Tobias, for your kind offer, I’m not sure if I want to go through the hassle of rerouting all the drums, considering the instrument still consumes a lot of CPU even without the effects. And also, listening to these drums without effects, it will take quite an effort to make them sound any good I think, but maybe I will give them a try.

@robGD
since I come from a Athlon XII 250 , I’m quite used to freezing when it comes to NI stuff and fortunately Studio One makes that supereasy for single events or complete tracks.

Damn, I want to keep working, recording…. it is such a drag to deal with all these technical issues. :stress: For testing purposes I switched some cores on and off today (for some strange reason, my Firefox only works up to 2 cores now, crashes immediately if more are enabled), and guess what: everytime I changed the number of cores, I had to reactivate all my NI stuff. Thank you very much for that, NI :reallyevil:

70 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
frozensatellite says

I think it is also important to mention that if you have at least 8GB of RAM and a decent CPU , you willl still “hit the ceiling”. The ultimate bottleneck in the end is always the drive (in case you already have 8GB of RAM ). So therefore you should have a SSD drive going. Set the buffers very low, so you need less RAM and the fast SSD drive will be able to get the chunks into your sequencer.

602 posts Keeping the Groove Alive
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Won a competition Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
+8 more
guitarsstate says

+1

1179 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

I think it is also important to mention that if you have at least 8GB of RAM and a decent CPU , you willl still “hit the ceiling”. The ultimate bottleneck in the end is always the drive (in case you already have 8GB of RAM ). So therefore you should have a SSD drive going. Set the buffers very low, so you need less RAM and the fast SSD drive will be able to get the chunks into your sequencer.

It depends.

If you are using a lot of sampled instruments, then yes, this is correct. But if you are using a lot of synths and effects (which – apart from Omnisphere and Kontakt based synths – don’t take up much disk space) then having an SSD is a bit irrelevant. Your bottleneck will then be the CPU .

It’s very easy to overtax a CPU once you start loading up a few instances of Massive and some nice reverbs. Also, load up some funky Alchemy presets, and watch your CPU die :D

FWIW , Abbey Road Drummer should easily be able to run on a regular 7,200 RPM drive. Especially if it’s on a different drive to the system drive.

As far as SSD ’s go, actually best solution is to have MULTIPLE SSD ’s. Better to have multiple small ones (if you have enough SATA ports on your motherboard) then one big one. Of course, if you can afford 6×512 GB SSD ’s – then go for it!

Frozensatellite’s advice of setting the buffers low IF your samples are running off an SSD is excellent. If you want to do this in Kontakt, go to ‘Options’ – ‘Memory’ and then Override the instrument’s preload size to about 12.00 – 18.00 kb and watch your RAM usage drop dramatically.

When dealing with sampled instruments, it’s been proven that having multiple drives (and your instruments spread out over them) is far preferable. Otherwise, you’ll run into the bottlenecks mentioned above. One SATA port can only handle so much abuse! You have more SATA ports probably, so …. use them! It’s amazing how many computers I’ve seen that are not really being used to their maximum potential.

My computer is laid out as follows. My motherboard/case allows for 7 internal hard drives. I have 2 externals for backup.

C: – System drive/programs/plugins and NOTHING else (Intel 320 SSD ) 120 GB (ALWAYS 40-50% free)

E: – String samples (Crucial M4) – 256 GB

F: – Brass and woodwind samples (Crucial M4) 256 GB

G: – Choir and miscellaneous or ‘odd/quirky’ samples (Samsung 830) – 256 GB

H: – Percussion samples – (Samsung 830) – 256 GB

I: – ‘Power’ synths Omnisphere and Alchemy and Trillian, and other ‘synthy / sound design’ samples – (Crucial M4) 256 GB

K: – Audio / Video / WAV file drive – (Western Digital Black) – 1TB

M: (External eSATA or Firewire 800) Project Backups and Purchased Downloads (Glyph) – 2 TB

N: (External eSATA or Firewire 800) Game testing/debug. Completed projects. Fun stuff, etc… – 2 TB

I also have 1 TB of storage at box.net – which is where I keep anything that is finished. Great backup system which I just sync with my ‘M’ drive.

This is by no means, the ‘PERFECT’ setup, but if you’re doing big orchestral stuff, and you want it to get bigger and better, etc… you’ll need more disk space. The rule of thumb is to get more drives rather than one big one and spread things out :)

106 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Contributed a free file of the month
+2 more
chatblanc says

+1
+2
by
by
by
by
by
by