491 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

Hello all. I’ve got an update on some new changes to the licensing options available to ThemeForest and CodeCanyon authors.

In March we announced that a new license option would be available to WordPress themes and plugins. Since then, authors have been able to choose to license their WordPress themes and plugins as 100% GPL, instead of with Envato’s default split license.

Today, we’re extending that option to cover all theme and plugin categories that are associated with GPL-based platforms. This means that if you’re an author creating items with a framework that is licensed under the GPL, you can now choose to sell those items as 100% GPL on the Marketplaces.

Here’s a complete list of the categories and item types this applies to:

ThemeForest

• WordPress Themes
  • Jigoshop
  • WooCommerce
  • WordPress eCommerce
  • Joomla
  • Virtuemart
  • Drupal
  • Ubercart
  • Opencart
  • osCommerce
  • Zencart

CodeCanyon

• WordPress Plugins
  • Jigoshop
  • WooCommerce
  • WordPress eCommerce
  • Joomla Plugins
  • Virtuemart
  • Drupal Plugins
  • Ubercart
  • Opencart
  • osCommerce
  • Zencart

If we open up new categories for additional GPL-based platforms, we’ll be extending the 100% GPL option to those categories too.

How do I set my items to 100% GPL?

To switch individual items over to 100% GPL, follow the instructions at the bottom of our guide to licensing options for authors. It’s very important to note that items cannot be changed back to the split license once they’ve been switched to 100% GPL, so you should be confident that you won’t change your mind.

You will also need to ensure that any third party plugins or other assets in your item are correctly licensed. This means that you cannot license your item as being 100% GPL unless either (a) the item is entirely your own original work, or (b) the components themselves are also licensed under the GPL or another open source license compatible with the GPL.

I’m an author, should I set my items to 100% GPL?

That’s entirely up to you! If you’d like to learn more about the GPL and make a decision on how it affects your items, we recommend you read our guide to licensing options for authors. There’s a lot of backstory to this decision, so if you’re not familiar with the GPL and how these licenses work on the Marketplaces, here’s a rundown of the changes that have occurred previously:

• This Knowledgebase article outlines our split license and how it works with the GPL.
  • This one goes into detail about the license options available to authors on ThemeForest and CodeCanyon.
  • In the lead-up to offering a 100% GPL option we surveyed our authors and published some of the results here on Notes.
  • Finally, you can read our announcement from March – 100% GPL Now Available!

We’d like to make sure that authors make informed decisions on their items, so if you’re an author with any further questions about extending the 100% GPL option to more categories, please let us know. Comments are also open over on the Envato Notes blog. We’re excited to be offering more licensing options for authors, and as always I’m looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks!

639 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Great work! Thanks Justin.

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ubernaut says

Glad you guys did this good to know just because someone sells on this market they would not be excluded from participating in wordcamps. Curious as a buyer to know if any of my past purchases have been switched by their authors. Is there a way to determine if a theme i have bought or am considering buying is 100% gpl?

thanks!

69 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
+5 more
jesshooper says

Hey ubernaut! When you download a theme you’ve purchased, there’s a folder called “Licensing” inside the “All files & documentation” download option. That folder contains information on the licensing that applies to that purchase, whether it’s the split license or 100% GPL.

Items that are listed as 100% GPL will say so on their item page, in the section that contains the licensing information and purchase button. Here’s an example with the important bit circled in green:

6 posts
ubernaut says

awesome thanks for the reply so if an author switches an existing item to 100% GPL is that retroactive to past purchases of that same item?

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Awesome guys thanks :sing:

69 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
+5 more
jesshooper says

License changes are not applied retroactively. If an author switches their item to the 100% GPL option, it only applies to sales that are made once the switch is made. It’s the same for extended license sales and other options that are present in some categories—if an author decides to stop selling extended licenses, for example, any previous customers who had purchased an extended license would still have access to it. Let me know if you’ve got any other questions! :)

6 posts
ubernaut says

ok but wouldn’t the license file that comes with the any subsequent downloads be the 100% gpl version in that situation?

also isn’t the 100% gpl license effectively the same thing as the extended license?

69 posts
  • Located in Australia
+5 more
jesshooper says

First question – No, as what you’re downloading is the item as it was licensed when you purchased it.

Second question – The extended license is different to a 100% GPL license, so that may have been a bad example on my part. Sorry if that’s created confusion! My point was that when authors decide to make a change to the way they want to sell items on the Marketplaces by adding or removing licensing options, those changes don’t affect the licenses that have previously been purchased.

6 posts
ubernaut says

yeah ok thanks for clarifying i was looking at the licenses after my last comment and i guess the gpl would be quite a bit more open ended then even the extended licenses.

by
by
by
by
by
by