1171 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+8 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Found this article today, 2 weeks late, but it’s an excellent read, and a thorough ‘owning’.

http://zackhemsey.blogspot.com/2011/07/its-our-fight-bysteve-jablonsky.html
293 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+2 more
ThomasVoMusic says

Noo Jablonsky, what did you do!!! :(

And when I listened to around 4:18 of “It’s Our Fight” by Jablonsky, I noticed that Jablonsky’s drum rhythm was similar to Hemsey’s as well.

I couldn’t stop laughing when I read the part where Hemsey wrote: “But Steve, you should check out my new album “The Way” – it might prove useful in your future scores!” hahaha.

But it might not be entirely Jablonsky’s fault, as some directors/editors may go overboard with temp-love heh. I mean, even Hans Zimmer blatantly copied from Gustav Holst in Gladiatior (2000).

But that was actually very interesting read though, great share Gareth!!

293 posts
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
ThomasVoMusic says

And I just made a mix and video comparison here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-HtQqQYgI

Very frightening.

Romosel-Exclusive
Romosel-Exclusive Recent Posts Threads Started
361 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Russian Federation
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+2 more
Romosel-Exclusive says
ThomasVoMusic said
And I just made a mix and video comparison here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC-HtQqQYgI Very frightening.

:)

97 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ProTunes says

i scored a show for tnt back in 2005. We had temp music and because of time constraints, were highly motivated to knock it off. When you are doing 80 hour work weeks for 6 months at a time, it just gets like that. Most people don’t understand the gravity of writing 20-30 minutes of scored music a week. Certainly, not the producers of the show.

748 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
guitarjock says

I don’t know if complaining about the other author in a public forum was the best of form. I kind of think it makes Mr. “high and mighty” producer look like an arse. Sure, the Transformers 3 song is mimicing the Transformers 2 song, but it’s unfortunately not copywright infringment, and there’s really nothing to be gained from being an arse. I also didn’t like how some people seemed to be blowing sunshine up Mr. Transformers 2’s behind. I say, it’s good not do be an arse, but don’t go around kissing them either.

60 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
miskstep says

I think I’d do the same thing, though not necessarily go about “complaining” as much as I would make a point to let people know. I’d probably have a similar reaction though – especially a feeling of flattery. I mean, talk about the ultimate validation! The composer of an A-list motion picture ripped you off! I wouldn’t do it with the intent to act like an arse, more as a matter of pride that I influenced someone in a certain way. Who knows what it will lead to, too? perhaps calling Jablonsky out in a humble, humorous way, could ultimately work in his favor?

It doesn’t mean you couldn’t go back to writing whatever weird music you wanted to write for yourself at any time ;)

I personally try to walk a line between writing music that people hopefully want to hear (i.e. audio jungle) and writing music that I like to play out, which I feel most people would have no interest in hearing in a corporate training video. I realize that if i want to make a decent living doing this I’m going to need some bread and butter to support my music addiction.

429 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
thesecession says

I think its amazing how much better Hemsey’s version is. Its one of those songs that you know is going to be something special and rise above the rest the second you hear it. Its kinda sad that Jablonsky would put his name on such a blatant rip-off but I guess hes already proved himself to the industry so he doesn’t have much to worry about :P

135 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
biala says

Both tracks are too basic to be compared. They are just similar because of the same style and the too basic structure.

I thing that when someone is making such music he did not think he has any rights. It is just simple strings progression and that’s all. And after all they are not the same so … the authors should live with it :)

97 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
iJozsi says

I say that in this case the similarities are way too many to be a coincidence… Nevertheless, that`s just one opinion.

by
by
by
by
by
by