962 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
EireStudio says

Hey Guys,

I will be looking into getting a new laptop (don’t want, nor can afford Apple products thank you :) ) and I am wondering is it possible to get a laptop that will run what I use daily:

• Photoshop CS5
  • Dreamweaver CS5
  • Spotify/Windows media player
  • Fireworks CS5

and comes with an SSD ? Basically I want something fast, good read/write access to the HD and good memory, any ideas?

3189 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says
RedHenry said
Hey Guys,

I will be looking into getting a new laptop (don’t want, nor can afford Apple products thank you :) ) and I am wondering is it possible to get a laptop that will run what I use daily:

• Photoshop CS5
  • Dreamweaver CS5
  • Fireworks CS5
and comes with an SSD ? Basically I want something fast, good read/write access to the HD and good memory, any ideas?

SSD and affordable don’t go hand and hand

962 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
EireStudio says
OrganicBeeMedia said
RedHenry said
Hey Guys,

• Photoshop CS5
  • Dreamweaver CS5
  • Fireworks CS5

Not very constructive but thanks

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
RedHenry said
OrganicBeeMedia said
RedHenry said
Hey Guys,

• Photoshop CS5
  • Dreamweaver CS5
  • Fireworks CS5
Not very constructive but thanks

SSD ’s are a luxury. It’s for those that truly want to spend a buck or two to get incredible speed. It’s as constructive as you can get when it comes to these things.

Also, if you think you’ve found an SSD that will be significantly faster than your HDD for very cheap, think again. That SSD that you may have found doesn’t even compare to the true power of an SSD such as a Vertex 3. I’d stay away from Kingston SSD ’s also.

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

OFFTOPIC : Kingston memory saved me from GEIL , ADATA and CORSAIR , they were an are all crappy.

1148 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

If you use Windows 7 and can’t afford an SSD drive, look into ReadyBoost (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/readyboost). Basically you can plug in an SD card or USB flash drive and Windows will cache frequently-used files there. It feels like an SSD for a fraction of the price. You can plug in up to eight 32GB devices for a total of 265GB of virtual memory (though at that point your laptop will look pretty silly, and the price is probably more than an SSD of that size).

So you can get a $400-500 laptop and a $50 32GB SD card and have pretty good performance.

607 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Blog Editor
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Forum Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+9 more
Siddharth Reviewer says

Every SSD isn’t going to be super fast. There’s a lot of tech involved and basically, like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Curious though. Why do you think you need an SSD ? I work off a run off the mill 7200RPM SATA2 hard drive and things are snappy enough.

4145 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Well, to be honest, in case of an “low-cost” laptop, I would understand that all other components are not ” top notch” as the SSD , so having SSD on it, wouldn’t quite improve your speeds that much.

Get a regular laptop, and later on, when you have the money, upgrade your HDD to SSD . But a 7200 RPM HDD 1TB in size is 100$ ( A GOOD ONE TOO ! ) , a SSD 64 gigs, is the same ammount :| .... screw the speed, gimme the storage space!

This is the same as LED TV ’s, first time they appeared, one cost 15.000$, now you can get one for 1000$... patience, they will start MASS producing soon and production costs will drop so will prices.

And if you still think I’m wrong… and your obsessed with SSD , get a Macbook! :) They first started using it, and from what I hear, ( a few friends have the new SSD Macbooks ) they say, and I must quote ” IT SUCKS ! IT’S TOO DAMN SMALL , !!! ” Pretty true… 64 gigs + operating system + all software + pics, some music, one movie, 2 .psd files, beefff…. hardware full … :|

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says
Enabled said
Well, to be honest, in case of an “low-cost” laptop, I would understand that all other components are not ” top notch” as the SSD , so having SSD on it, wouldn’t quite improve your speeds that much.

Get a regular laptop, and later on, when you have the money, upgrade your HDD to SSD . But a 7200 RPM HDD 1TB in size is 100$ ( A GOOD ONE TOO ! ) , a SSD 64 gigs, is the same ammount :| .... screw the speed, gimme the storage space!

This is the same as LED TV ’s, first time they appeared, one cost 15.000$, now you can get one for 1000$... patience, they will start MASS producing soon and production costs will drop so will prices.

And if you still think I’m wrong… and your obsessed with SSD , get a Macbook! :) They first started using it, and from what I hear, ( a few friends have the new SSD Macbooks ) they say, and I must quote ” IT SUCKS ! IT’S TOO DAMN SMALL , !!! ” Pretty true… 64 gigs + operating system + all software + pics, some music, one movie, 2 .psd files, beefff…. hardware full … :|

Getting a 64GB SSD is straight silly. You get a ~120GB SSD for all the things you need on hand at all times and a really nice $35 500GB external Seagate drive that you can use for movies, music, etc as well as backing up the SSD ’s stuff in case of failure, etc. You got storage and you got speed. It’ll cost ya, but it’s hell of a lot better than an HDD alone.

by
by
by
by
by
by