• Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

Howdy,

Hope this doesn’t break any rules (btw, we really need an authors forum), but one of my items now requires a paid-for API key, and considering it’s jQuery item it would mean the key would be visible and can be stolen, so as a result I’m going to have to withdraw the item from the marketplace.

My question is that, is it possible to keep the item up still, but disable purchasing of it. That way I can put a message as the description to say what has happened, rather than purchasers trying to find it, but a) can’t remember who built it so can’t get in touch with me, and b) posts in the forum. I’ve seen it a few times, and it’s happened to me once where all reference to the item has been removed so it was like it was never there. It’s annoying and frustrating.

TL;DR I will have to remove an item from CodeCanyon, but don’t want it to completely vanish. Is it possible to keep it up, but unable to purchase and hidden from searches/API/profile etc.

211 posts
  • Canada
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
KBRmedia says

I don’t think that is possible. But you can make a big banner (make it noticeable) in photoshop or other software to tell your clients what happened. If they still buy that item then they have agreed to also pay for the API key. Also release another update and write in your preview image that it is a paid-service (or whatever).

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

Thanks for your reply KBRmedia. I think that’s probably the best way forward.

121 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • India
rabidflash says

if your concern is about someone stealing the key then why don’t you put a video preview instead of just deleting it?

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

if your concern is about someone stealing the key then why don’t you put a video preview instead of just deleting it?

The live preview is not the issue, I already run it through a PHP proxy so it doesn’t reveal any code.

The issue is that this item used to rely on a free API, but now costs, and due to it being a jQuery item, if a buyer uses their own key on a site, their key can be stolen simple as.

1244 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

The issue is that this item used to rely on a free API, but now costs, and due to it being a jQuery item, if a buyer uses their own key on a site, their key can be stolen simple as.

Hello phpdude, I had the same issues back in 2012 with my Search Engine which was based on Bing’s free API service. After 4/5 months they migrated their API service to Azure and they limited the free API to 5,000 queries/month. So the best option is to notice your visitors that the script is based on an API, but it costs to get a key. Good luck with the sales ;-).

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

Hello phpdude, I had the same issues back in 2012 with my Search Engine which was based on Bing’s free API service. After 4/5 months they migrated their API service to Azure and they limited the free API to 5,000 queries/month. So the best option is to notice your visitors that the script is based on an API, but it costs to get a key. Good luck with the sales ;-).

That sounds like a good plan, cheers buddy :)

243 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
Endat says

You can have your item temporarily disabled. Send a message to envato support with a link to your item and ask them to soft disable it. The item will go into your “Hidden” tab in your author dashboard. After which you can still see it, but it disappears from the marketplace.

To have the item restored, just edit it like normal and submit a file so it requires staff approval.. when they approve it again, it will be back on the market.

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

So I’ve updated my item and created a banner.

Now, I’ve got an angry customer posting in my comments, and then when I reply, they are flagging it as inappropriate so it doesn’t display. Every damn comment.

Surely they shouldn’t be able to report an authors comments on their own item?

243 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
Endat says

Yeah that’s how things work here sometimes, no gratitude.. I’ve been told not to respond to them and also flag every negative post they make. Responding just advocates their lunacy..

by
by
by
by
by
by