917 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
JBlanks says

Someone may have already thought of this in the past, and AJ might have their reasons for not wanting to implement it, but it just occurred to me there could be a very simple way to prolong exposure on the front page for new files.

Would it be possible to simply implement an arrow to the right of the avatar matrix (like with home page weekly feature and the matrix of authors we follow) that would allow users to click to the right and view the previous 40 avatars that existed in the grid matrix before being bumped off by new music? An arrow on the left would enable return to the current front page as it’s being updated.

It wouldn’t change the format of the front page at all, just provide a way to navigate to recently uploaded music that was released that day but has been shuffled offscreen. If the last say 24-48 hours of new music could be preserved this way it might be a simple way to enable new songs to get a tiny bit more exposure and be easier to discover for potential buyers.

We all know that being on front page isn’t be all and end all of selling here, but I have noticed my new tracks sell more frequently while they are being exposed on front page. Sales tend to drop off for many tracks shortly after this but if the track and author were easy to find for a little longer it might make a difference. I’m sure that I am not the first author to have recognized this sales trend.

Anyway – I thought it was worth a mention. I know little to nothing about coding websites but it seems that it wouldn’t be impossible to implement such an idea, considering the function is already implemented in other parts of the site. Just a thought. What do you guys reckon?

816 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
petrenj says

What about “View:All items” in the bottom of previews? I think this is it?Or maybe Im wrong.

917 posts
  • Located in Australia
+3 more
JBlanks says

What about “View:All items” in the bottom of previews? I think this is it?Or maybe Im wrong.

No you’re right – that works to find recent tracks, but you have 30 to a page and have to scroll through them. The grid matrix is a cool feature and I’d love to see buyers have the option of browsing through tracks that way – it’s easy to quickly listen to a bunch of tracks without having to leave the homepage. Maybe the idea is pointless – I just wanted to see what others thought of the idea.

816 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
petrenj says

Its not pointless and you are right.Grid is much more clearer and easier solution for preview. I am in! :)

LightLotusProduction
LightLotusProduction Recent Posts Threads Started
290 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LightLotusProduction says

Someone may have already thought of this in the past, and AJ might have their reasons for not wanting to implement it, but it just occurred to me there could be a very simple way to prolong exposure on the front page for new files.

Would it be possible to simply implement an arrow to the right of the avatar matrix (like with home page weekly feature and the matrix of authors we follow) that would allow users to click to the right and view the previous 40 avatars that existed in the grid matrix before being bumped off by new music? An arrow on the left would enable return to the current front page as it’s being updated.

It wouldn’t change the format of the front page at all, just provide a way to navigate to recently uploaded music that was released that day but has been shuffled offscreen. If the last say 24-48 hours of new music could be preserved this way it might be a simple way to enable new songs to get a tiny bit more exposure and be easier to discover for potential buyers.

We all know that being on front page isn’t be all and end all of selling here, but I have noticed my new tracks sell more frequently while they are being exposed on front page. Sales tend to drop off for many tracks shortly after this but if the track and author were easy to find for a little longer it might make a difference. I’m sure that I am not the first author to have recognized this sales trend.

Anyway – I thought it was worth a mention. I know little to nothing about coding websites but it seems that it wouldn’t be impossible to implement such an idea, considering the function is already implemented in other parts of the site. Just a thought. What do you guys reckon?

The idea is nice Jamie.

I would take this even further, but I’m sure at Envato they have their reasons not to implement these ideas for wider exposure.

What I would do is implement a system that actually helps and motivates the buyer/user to navigate more and discover new tracks. For example, a YouTube-like layout/system encourages its users to explore and navigate through new content. That would really be helpful, especially for new and not famous authors.

There are so many GREAT tracks that in my opinion needs just a bit of help and a bit of more exposure to sell much more. Of course the staff is already doing a great job to give more exposure possible to us authors (through featured authors, featured files and free files of the month) but I think a change of layout and an overall system revamp would really help the marketplace with a breath of fresh air :)

Just my two cents though! ;)

917 posts
  • Located in Australia
+3 more
JBlanks says

It’s a cool idea LL but considerably more complex to implement than what I was suggesting. I was hoping to prolong the homepage grid track browsing feature only, but you make some good points.

Perhaps when the long promised new search function arrives AJ could bring in a YouTube style feature. They already have the beta “similar files” system running – not sure if it matches files simply through tags or if there is a degree of human intervention involved in making that work.

Anyway – look forward to hearing from more authors on this.

310 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
GroovingGecko says

Great idea, and I would like to see it for the Featured Author of the week too so you can see past featured authors. Just like the featured tracks.

450 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Depard says

I don’t really think that exposure on a front page can bring more sales. I think there are more sales after approval because item is on a top of category section.

917 posts
  • Located in Australia
+3 more
JBlanks says

I hear you Depard but once buyers are in category section they have the option to sort files by sales or ratings consigning many new tracks to the abyss of the jungle. Front page is one of the few times they can just click to hear new material sorted only by date of arrival and I suspect this accounts for some of my sales at least.

I’m suggesting we simply prolong the time files are available in this mode by keeping the grid accessible after tracks get shunted down the line. Anyway I respect your opinion and you may well be right about this. Cheers JB

41 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Italy
Marcozannone says

Jblanks, did you direct urban legends?? That movie was coool!

by
by
by
by
by
by