2040 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+5 more
gballx says

This probably has been featured in the forum before but is there a need or likelihood of a Commercial / Advertising category. Is there a need by other authors because I would like to see one – but obviously if there is no demand I shall try and place the track in an appropriate or as the reviewer may suggest an inappropriate category!

Sorry just noticed the spelling in the header!

kristopherfisheraudio
kristopherfisheraudio Recent Posts Threads Started
506 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
kristopherfisheraudio says

I’d imagine there is a large need for music for advertising, after-all that’s what we are composing for right? The issue is – How do you define what is and what is not ‘advert/commercial’ content, music on adverts vary hugely depending on the visual content.

For example, an Apple advert might use something from the ‘corporate’ section with keywords such as ukulele, clapping, and glock’s. But an advert for some epic medieval advert would use something from the ‘cinematic’ section.

If you create a category called ‘adverts/commercial’ you might as well just combine all the music on AJ into one.

2040 posts
+5 more
gballx says

Thats true but I was thinking more of the 30 or 60 second specific area. Of course any track can be used for the visual but I was thinking of tracks written for the 30 / 60 second advertising bracket. I suppose just like jingle writing or logos and idents.

936 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Russian Federation
+1 more
permian says

As I understand, people put such things into “Corporate” category.

2040 posts
+5 more
gballx says

As I understand, people put such things into “Corporate” category.

Thank you for that – I was not sure! :)

936 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Russian Federation
+1 more
permian says

You’re welcome :)

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
sonicjar says

I think Advert/corporate etc categories, can be little confusing for the end user/buyer. Though a certain – inspirational, positive, happy kind of music works for these categories, but branding a music as a corporate or advert can be misleading misleading and does not convey right information which buyer is looking for.

I think music should be best categorized by the mood it conveys and then the genre. I like the way allmusic categorizes music with mood. That can help the buyer figure out correctly whats the best music in that particular mood, that will go with their presentation or ad.

for e.g : Acoustic music can be sad, happy, dreamy. but normally when then ad agencies are looking for music, they would like to search for happy music and then some people have in mind the kind of genre they want to go with. Acoustic or Hip-hop or whatever. what do you think?

606 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

Thats true but I was thinking more of the 30 or 60 second specific area. Of course any track can be used for the visual but I was thinking of tracks written for the 30 / 60 second advertising bracket. I suppose just like jingle writing or logos and idents.

+1. Great idea man. There really should be a 30 sec and 60 sec (20 sec for radio too) section. I’ve seen it in other sites and to be honest, making the music fit in the time frame does require the extra effort and it is so useful for TV and radio so really we should have that as a subsection!

2040 posts
+5 more
gballx says

Thanks TortoiseTree – I thought I was going a little mad thinking about this! I completely agree with the others that any track can be used for a commercial but sometimes having something a little more bespoke may assist the editor?

by
by
by
by
by
by