147 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
PaulVictor says

Right now I’m creating a 3D logo in 3DS Max by creating workpaths in Illustrator and importing them. All went well until I created a Bevel Modifier and saw that the holes in the letters (A,O,R) were capped. Could anyone tell me what a solution might be to this problem?

1113 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
3alisha says

Try not to use the bevel tool.

Instead, convert your model to a mesh or poly.. (better if poly), then add a shell modifier… Then collapse the stack, select the “depth” edges, connect them with a high pinch.. After that, you can do the bevel manually, or use a FFD modifier, depending on how many polygons you have in the top.

Good luck with your project :D

If anything is unclear, ask.

Cheers!

147 posts
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
PaulVictor says

Could you perhaps elaborate a little bit more? I’m only a beginner and have followed a few tutorials but that’s it so please bear with me. :)

I started from scratch again and did what you said but what exactly do you mean with depth edges (should I select the edges on both sides of the “bevel”?) and a high pinch?

Thanks for your help btw!

16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
finalmethod says

Paul, can you post the screenshot, just need to see how complex the logo is, sometimes, just 1 point messes up the whole letter. If I could see a screenshot of the problem area, then I could try to find a solution.

147 posts
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
PaulVictor says

Sure, here’s the screenshot. As you can see I can move that entire cylinder which is supposed to be the hole in the letter O.

http://img827.imageshack.us/i/logoerror.jpg/

Thanks for any help!

443 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
vibes35 says

Paul-

I have worked with importing AI files many times into Max… one of the key things I have found I need to do most of the time is make sure all vertices are welded in Max.

The”O” for instance you would probably need to make sure that the outer and inner portion of the letter are attached as one spline.

If you want just email me your AI file and I will be able to help out much better.

allen@3docean.net

16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
finalmethod says

Hi Paul,

I also think the problem is with welding the vertices in max, another thing you can do, is just use Max’s text instead and then just extrude. If you logo is text than it should be easy, but if you have some complicated shape, then you can just bring the shape into Max seperate from text and again use Max’s text instead.

Good luck!

Art

by
by
by
by
by
by