DigitalRembrandt Recent Posts Threads Started
31 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
DigitalRembrandt says

So I’m curious. Why can’t we have 24 bit files? I’m sure everyone would agree that better quality is… well… better? Unless you’re using equipment from beyond the last millennium, 24 bits shouldn’t be a problem. I’d sure like to see some 24 bit files… So, what’s the problem? :)

Often I get instructions that whatever I buy needs to be 24 bit. Not always, but it does happen.

Anyone care to weigh in? :)

718 posts
  • Located in Poland
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

1. Most people don’t notice the difference between mp3 and wav

2. Most computer systems and players can’t play 24 bit files without dedicated software

3. Small amount of cleient process audio files and there’s no need to use 24 bit formats.

DigitalRembrandt
31 posts
+1 more
DigitalRembrandt says

1: Sure, most people won’t notice the difference. I get that. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a difference.

2: What systems are you using? I haven’t seen a program that can’t handle 24 bits in like ten years. Avid can handle it. Final Cut Pro can handle it. Smoke can handle it. Premiere Pro can handle it. After Effects can handle it. Logic can handle it. Cubase can handle it. ProTools can handle it. VLC can handle it. Mplayer can handle it. QuickTime can handle it. I’m not sure there’s any modern program that can’t handle it… :)

3: Sure there’s a need. I just told you there’s a need. That was my point. :)

718 posts
  • Located in Poland
+3 more
FxProSound says
Sure pro software can handle it – but common user on Windows Media Player can’t :)

My experience with 24 bit files on other place is not good. People complained that it not works :) Probably there’s not enough people demanding 24 bit files.

It’s never ending discussion like should photostocks have RAW files to buy…

DigitalRembrandt
31 posts
+1 more
DigitalRembrandt says

Perhaps it is a similar discussion to the RAW vs. not discussion. :) I just thought I’d bring it up, that I’d like it to be an option. Not that 24 bit would exclude 16 bit, but it should be an option. I always deliver 16 bit and MP3s. So why not 16 bit AND 24 bit, as well as MP3s, if you feel like it? I think it would be a great extra service to the customer. Don’t you agree? :)

184 posts
  • Located in Serbia
Sonic_System says

Yes it would…if there were enough customers demanding this, I guess it would’ve been an option already. Just think about it – what percent of customers needs hi-res files in the mp3 ruled world? Also, why not include higher sample rates then, so a customer could download 24bit/96 KHz file?

DigitalRembrandt
31 posts
+1 more
DigitalRembrandt says

Well Sonic_System, someone has to start demanding it. I’m both an author and a customer. When I have time I write my own music, but when I’m pressed for time I buy something here. :)

And I agree! We should have higher sample rates! Remember, this 44.1k/16bit was invented in the 80s. We should be a lot more sophisticated by now. :)

718 posts
  • Located in Poland
+3 more
FxProSound says

Well Sonic_System, someone has to start demanding it. I’m both an author and a customer. When I have time I write my own music, but when I’m pressed for time I buy something here. :) And I agree! We should have higher sample rates! Remember, this 44.1k/16bit was invented in the 80s. We should be a lot more sophisticated by now. :)

Yes it would be good to have an option but remember one thing. In sounds even in sound effects you can simply provide real 24bit quality but in music… Frankly I doubt it.

Why? Because every instrument should be recorded with 24bit, every sample in every vsti should be 24 bit, every plugin should work in 24 bit. Of course mixed and mastered in 24 bit too. In many cases 24 bit music file is an illlusion and additinally it’s not needed in end format but only in postproduction.

DigitalRembrandt
31 posts
+1 more
DigitalRembrandt says

fxprosound: I get what you’re saying. And I really appreciate you taking the time to answer! Thanks, man! But is there really a professional audio program that isn’t fully 24 bit these days? Which program is that? I’d sure like to know, so I can delete it off my hard drive ASAP. :)

184 posts
  • Located in Serbia
Sonic_System says

Well Sonic_System, someone has to start demanding it. I’m both an author and a customer. When I have time I write my own music, but when I’m pressed for time I buy something here. :) And I agree! We should have higher sample rates! Remember, this 44.1k/16bit was invented in the 80s. We should be a lot more sophisticated by now. :)

I think that we’ll have to wait ‘til the new format emerges and becomes standard…what is happening with SACD, DSD and others, do you by any chance know? THAT would be a massive difference in quality, to offer your clients downloads using those formats!

by
by
by
by
by
by