• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Nicely implemented, so the authors can set different license for individual items. If the same option available for Extended License, that would be helpful!

Btw, looks like the entire WooTheme’s portfolio (30 items) approved on 26th March but all of their items listed back from the first week of February, losing a lot of initial exposure? For me it looks like an unfair trick (from buyer point of view), although I am not a fan of 100% GPL.

Technically how can an item approved today manages to stay behind the items that are approved a few months back? If this date based sorting is possible to hack, how can we assure if the ratings and relevance based sorting also not hacked already? :|

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

Nicely implemented, so the authors can set different license for individual items. If the same option available for Extended License, that would be helpful!

Btw, looks like the entire WooTheme’s portfolio (30 items) approved on 26th March but all of their items listed back from the first week of February, losing a lot of initial exposure? For me it looks like an unfair trick (from buyer point of view), although I am not a fan of 100% GPL.

Technically how can an item approved today manages to stay behind the items that are approved a few months back? If this date based sorting is possible to hack, how can we assure if the ratings and relevance based sorting also not hacked already? :|

Imagine what would happen if suddenly whole front page was full of 30 WooThemes items ;) I think it was good choice they did it that way, and as for your “hacking” concern, I’m not even going to comment it :D

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Japh Staff says

Btw, looks like the entire WooTheme’s portfolio (30 items) approved on 26th March but all of their items listed back from the first week of February, losing a lot of initial exposure? For me it looks like an unfair trick (from buyer point of view), although I am not a fan of 100% GPL. Technically how can an item approved today manages to stay behind the items that are approved a few months back? If this date based sorting is possible to hack, how can we assure if the ratings and relevance based sorting also not hacked already? :|

As @purethemes guessed, this was done by us to make things fair for existing authors, and not swamp the home page and date sorting with WooThemes’ 30 themes.

5753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

As @purethemes guessed, this was done by us to make things fair for existing authors, and not swamp the home page and date sorting with WooThemes’ 30 themes.

The same can be done by approving 4-5 items/week from today towards coming dates. The urgency of approving ~30 items (for single author / license type) costs losing credibility of entire “sort” system.

If another vendor uploads here like 30 items per week, how this will be managed? By inserting those items in the past dates?

6 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
anomy says

Btw, looks like the entire WooTheme’s portfolio (30 items) approved on 26th March but all of their items listed back from the first week of February, losing a lot of initial exposure? For me it looks like an unfair trick (from buyer point of view), although I am not a fan of 100% GPL. Technically how can an item approved today manages to stay behind the items that are approved a few months back? If this date based sorting is possible to hack, how can we assure if the ratings and relevance based sorting also not hacked already? :|

There is an obvious favouritism at play, and you may as well come out and say so without sugarcoating. Currently all you’re doing is leaving a sour taste in the authors mouth.

It’s unfair to have this WooThemes person glued to the most prominent position on the homepage. I’ve noticed at least six themes being skipped past the first position into second. They all deserve an equal chance at traction!

I assume all these themes being realeased today will be knocked off the radar within a day or two, all whilst this WooThemes occupies the first position on the recently released.

...hardly fair.

615 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
Kriesi says

Actually I think WooThemes joining is less of a big deal than some might think. It already happened before that authors from other theme-shops joined with their full library, and as of now that didn’t work out all too well for any of them.

I think over time themeforest customers have come to expect certain kind of styles and features in our themes, none of which WooThemes are currently offering.

It might still work out for them, since they are obviously hugely successful with what they do, but it always seemed they are competing on other levels than those that made themeforest what it is today. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds, maybe they prove me wrong :)

What I am really curious is: did they really accept the usual terms of a non-exclusive author? Seems odd to sell an item on themeforest and in the end receive less than a fourth of what you get on your own homepage, when you already have such a big audience :)

Anyways, welcome on Themeforest, both WooThemes and 100%GPL ;D

484 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+1 more
omarabid says

Hi guys, the reason I linked to WooThemes was to give you an idea of who they are and what they do. They aren’t technically our competitors since they’ve joined forces with us. :) My concern is that some of you are focusing on off-topic chit chat rather than contributing to the thread. If you’d like to give me any feedback, please feel free to do so via my profile. Otherwise, please lets focus on discussing GPL licenses.

Are you kidding me? :D

On a related note, I’m seeing stable and decent sales with CodeCanyon. I think the market getting bigger will affect authors in different ways, but there will be always a way to make a decent profit from it. There is a bit of conspiracy :P in WooThemes and 100% GPL coming together. But I’d say, it’s always good that “authors” drive the change here.

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

just 2 questions:

first, where I can find the text of this new license? I can’t find it here: http://themeforest.net/licenses I understand is the GPL but what version? The same as wordpress? If yes, there should be a link in the item description to the license text. Maybe is inside the zip package but I would like to read it first without purchasing an item first.

second, all this debate about woothemes made me curios. From their profile it appears they are non exclusive sellers. Can the staff confirm that the percentage cut they get from sales is 33% ?

Is interesting that themeforest sell themes under 100% GPL and at the same time they provide the source, not like the creators of wordpress do with their “com” website.

It doesn’t change the world but I thought I should mention this to balance the past accusation they throw against envato and the authors here. Hopefully they will do the same and if not, at least make peace and accept envato and themeforest authors contribution to wordpress. I’m saying, no more “This is my party, you don’t belong here” behavior.

5753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Imagine what would happen if suddenly whole front page was full of 30 WooThemes items ;) I think it was good choice they did it that way, and as for your “hacking” concern, I’m not even going to comment it :D

Every bad habit starts with a fair/good reason attached to it and initially it may have appreciation from everyone. But what if it was taken granted and started backfire against the authors? For example, manipulating the sort system by an innocent staff, every time with the assumption of all happens for an entitled “good reason”.

I would suggest Envato to quickly arrive a solution to manage bulk uploads. For example, upload approval limit of 5 (or 10 or 20 or 500) items per week per marketplace etc.

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

I was under the impression that regarding about how many items one uploads only the last one it will be visible on homepage.

by
by
by
by
by
by