21 posts special WP stuffs!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
wpWave says

Hi everyone,

According to Envato rules exclusive authors can’t give their item for free. But I as an author usually need to send free copies to my testers or reviewer websites. I also like to send my item to my close friends or non-profit organizations.

Most of us do it without worry about rules but it’s not ethical. Instead, Envato suggests to purchase your own item! :| But it’s not possible, too! :confused: You should create another account, deposit money and this is a pain!

I suggest to change the rules in this way that every exclusive author has a limited number of free single site licenses (e.g. 10).

What do you think?

92 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
HelloCharlie says

Actually, I didn’t understood part where says: ”...or promote their work in other places.”. Why I can not promote my template anywhere to exclusively buy on Envato marketplace? Correct me if I’m wrong.(I hope so) :)

21 posts special WP stuffs!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
wpWave says

Actually, I didn’t understood part where says: ”...or promote their work in other places.”. Why I can not promote my template anywhere to exclusively buy on Envato marketplace? Correct me if I’m wrong.(I hope so) :)

Sorry, I mean promote for free (like giveaway)

383 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
QBKL says

Hey,

A giveaway means not just giving away the product, but also a license to use it. The users receiving your “giveaway” won’t have access to such a license, or a purchase code, or updates through Envato’s system, and that’s a bummer.

Also, a giveaway is a form of redistribution through other channels, which is not permitted by Envato. If you wish to run such a promotion, you could: 1. Purchase the licences yourself (different account) then offer them for free and support the whole cost out of your own pocket. 2. Offer not a giveaway but a 50% discount, and thus forfeit your earnings for that particular sale. After the sale is made to a specific buyer, refund him the 50% out of your own earnings.

After all, once you’ve put your item up, it involves Envato’s earnings too and it’s only YOU who has decided to forfeit earnings for a giveaway, not Envato. ;)

I know it’s a bit complicated, but think about it, if the rules wouldn’t be so strict someone will always find a way to bend them and use them in their own interest and in time, the market would become obsolete.

In terms of freelance and client work, you are allowed to use your own items for free. But it has to be freelance/client work, not promotional giveaways.

For testing though, I do believe you should consider doing that before submitting your item. I mean, why would you put an untested item up in the first place?

Info: http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq#do-i-need-to-pay-to-use-my-own-items-within-the

538 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
phpbits says

I’ve actually asked almost the same before, feel free to check the staff reply.

http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/add-item-discount-code-is-there-a-way/94354

Cheers!

2167 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

In all actuality, I don’t see a problem with an author selling to clients – just issue your own license.

After all, it’s basically up to authors to uphold those licenses.

Give away or sell as you like, just don’t use other marketplaces.

How we use our files on our own is the reason there is a tightening up of purchasing your own files.

You are still the owner of the files and can do as you want, just don’t self-compete on other marketplaces.

103 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Kosovo
+2 more
vuzzu says

In all actuality, I don’t see a problem with an author selling to clients – just issue your own license.

How we use our files on our own is the reason there is a tightening up of purchasing your own files.

You are still the owner of the files and can do as you want, just don’t self-compete on other marketplaces.

Then you should leave exclusiveness option buddy.

698 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Then you should leave exclusiveness option buddy.

Actually, it’s exactly as Graphic-Studio explained.

Do I need to pay to use my own items within the regular or extended terms?
No. You can use your own items for free in your freelance work for clients. If you’re exclusive, remember you can’t distribute your own items elsewhere.
by
by
by
by
by
by