Posts by sevenspark

3503 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Has anyone come across a way of scaling up / “upsizing” WordPress Post Thumbnails? My understanding is that, by default, WordPress will only generate the registered image sizes for an image upload if the original image is larger than the registered image size.

That is, if you upload a 600×400 image, and you have a registered image size that is 800×600 named “full-size”, the full-size image will not be generated – and therefore when you retrieve the image at full-size, expecting an 800×600, you get a 600×400 instead.

I’ve been thinking about this, and while I think upscaling is a bad idea from a graphical point of view (quality deterioration), I think from a user’s perspective this would be helpful (many users don’t want to deal with image resizing – they just want it to “work”).

I know timthumb can handle upscaling, but I want to use WP’s built in functionality for a variety of reasons. I also know I could scale the images via img tag sizes or CSS , but that (a) changes aspect ratios and (b) doesn’t help situations like images in Nivo Slider.

Anyway, if anyone has come across a clever way to enable WP thumbnail upscaling I’d love to know!

Thanks!

Chris

3503 posts
+10 more

If you think there is an issue with a theme violating the marketplace rules please report it to support and they will handle it :)

I’m going to lock this before anyone gets called out in the forums.

3503 posts
+10 more

It’s the ref parameter is important. My understanding is that if you add ref=username to any URL in the marketplace your referral is logged.

That is,

codecanyon.net/user/user/portfolio?sort_by=sales_count_cache&type=files&page=1&ref=ZoomIt
3503 posts
+10 more

Well, I wouldn’t consider it perfectly fine to use someone’s work and sell it as their own work for a 100 times more as they invested and without even knowing how to customize it for their clients yet pretending to be the uber-developer – but it’s legal at least. So go ahead!

Glossy, I agree with what you said – that there can be moral issues involved. But that doesn’t seem to be the case at all with the OP. mkessler’s original post was specifically concerned with giving the authors their due credit and making sure he was following the guidelines appropriately. He’s clearly not looking to just turn around and sell the themes as-is to a client – he wants to develop child themes “to their exact specifications”. It doesn’t sound to me like he’s misrepresenting himself in any way.

Just want to make sure we don’t go scaring away legitimate and honest buyers by reacting this way with the respectable ones :)

3503 posts
+10 more

Good documentation can save you hours of support time.
Do you still find that people ask lots of questions that are already answered in the documentation? I’m also wondering if it comes to this, could I have someone else who has really studied the documentation provide tier one support? Or are most of the questions you get higher level?

You do get a lot of questions that are already answered in the documentation, as many users never read them before sending a support request. My solution to this is to put the docs online, which allows me to send them a link directly to the section of the help docs that contains their solution. Also, this alerts them to the fact that this resource exists, so hopefully they will check for their solution there before asking another question with a documented answer.

Having “live” docs online also means you can update the docs any time with new info and users can benefit.

Hopefully as you refine your product my making new releases and refine the docs by updating the guide and FAQs, you can whittle down the support requests the absolute minimum. I had a huge amount of support requests with my CodeCanyon item initially, but with those methods I’ve been able to greatly reduce the amount of time I spend on support.

3503 posts
+10 more
3503 posts
+10 more

Thanks sevenspark for these valuable links :)

You’re welcome :)

3503 posts
+10 more

hmm.. if its not possible can i use calibri font name in font-family property so that any body who has installed this font will see this?

Of course :) You just need to design a font stack that looks good when Calibri isn’t available.

Perhaps check out http://font-family.com/calibri and http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/09/22/complete-guide-to-css-font-stacks/

Your other option is to find another font which is licensed for use via Cufon or @font-face. Resources like http://fontsquirrel.com are excellent for this. That’ll help provide a more consistent user experience.

3503 posts
+10 more

It’s usually best to build your site without JS first (pure CSS ), then add the bells and whistles with JS at the end. This ensures graceful degradation of the JS.

If your page is heavily JS dependent, you may end up using things like noscript tags to apply different styles for when the JS is disabled.

3503 posts
+10 more

Right, sorry, I guess ‘cat’ is only for the default Category taxonomy. I think you should use the advanced taxonomy query for custom taxonomies (second link) :)

by
by
by
by
by
by