Posts by graphic4444

1257 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Although I’m not a lawyer and this not legal advice, my personal understanding is that you should never try and capitalize on someone else’s fame by illegally using their celebrity name (or knockoff) in any commercial work, period.

Google “using celebrity names legal” and you’ll find you can’t use celebrity names:

https://www.google.com/search?q=using+celebrity+names+legal

don’t try and capitalize on someone else’s fame. (I’m famous in my niche, if anyone used my name without my express written permission, I’d most certainly have one of my three attys send a C&D/cease and desist then sue for publicity rights infringement if they didn’t remove it). we work hard for our branding/celebrity, trying to piggyback off that for your own gain is not allowed, nor fair. earn your own fame.

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

good posts, and right Novaplus both of those you did are great, i left positive comment earlier…biggest + comment i wrote there, on first page at this one, is super: http://videohive.net/item/extreme-sports-pack-pro/6199672

definitely would be good to see more from everyone like that quaiity; and it sold well..

—re columbia I used to date a hottie from there, chica caliente i miss my latina girlfriends, lol.

anyways yeah quality first, the thing for top selling templates is attention to detail, subtleties of reflection bumpmaps, particles, use of color, top projects that sell the most nail it, like that sports bumper

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

“quality first” mentality should be a way of life. It IS, for those of us who’ve sold so much online fulltime since the 90s and are top marketers in the world like I am.

not “let’s copy something and see if I can grub some sales from it”. A lot of the new authors are not up to the quality level of prior projects that are bestsellers here.

but heck what do I know I’ve sold a lot online and am one of the world’s top AE templates buyers. Check my profile, I’ve bought and can afford well over 1,000 items at envato. I’ve been here from the earliest flashden days.

just saying. QUALITY FIRST MENTALITY is WHAT SELLS and makes business.

not the 1000th 3d extruded logo derivative sting or flipping slideshow bs.

On the count of 3 now, class:

“Copycats Suck. Original high quality broadcast authors Rock.” Repeat 10x. lol

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

the challenge is to add meaningful content to the huge fantastic library that’s already here, without being derivative copycat “lemme see what sold best and copy that with a few minor changes and see if i can make a lot of sales too”...

copycats suck.

...nor to do way off the wall stuff nobody wants…

the balance is creating Innovative new meaningful bestsellers that are broadcast-quality like many here are, without being a me-too copycat of derivative hash.

otherwise buyers just look thru existing library of 1000s of projects already here.

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

good points.. and yeah honestly if I was a dev given the sales/money best use of my time, maybe I’d do more themes/themeforest vs aeps with my time, since looks like more sales for themes than aeps

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

not to be too negative, but the last couple months there’s been a flood of mediocre “meh/so what” projects here.

...used to be in the good old days a year/two ago, before all the new authors flooded this place with mediocrity, we’d see at least a couple “stunning” new cool projects each week… sadly I don’t see those anymore and my buying has gone down 80%+ from where it was a couple years ago.

I mean stunners like Balistique’s /Danilmult’s and others that were sizzling-hot broadcast quality or highly innovative.

Like these: http://videohive.net/item/my-new-york/242422 . http://videohive.net/item/broadcast-design-sport-id/4670588

etc

now I see a drizzle of a bunch of mediocre vanilla projects here. and I’m the (former) top buyer of AEPs here, or at least one of them.

Top guys, I understand, with the fact your epic masterpiece will last all of 10 minutes on the home page now w/the flood of new stuff, compared to a couple days in years gone by, your motivation is (rightly) lowered, to spend dozens of hours on killer aeps.

Any ideas/insights? I’d like to buy more projects here, but it’s gotten so “meh/so what” with vanilla stuff, I don’t buy much anymore. It would be great to, as I’ve suggested for years, have a “Spotlight Showcase” where each weeks/month’s top 5-7 projects are in front of buyers for a long time, for sales and to motivate producers to once again create stunning epic masterpieces like they used to.

a former ‘sniff’ big buyer, (lol)

k

p.s. not to say All the new projects are so-what, there’s been a rare few here and there, but overall it’s flooded with mediocrity lately, and I have seen/previewed/bought more AE projects than most people in the world (I may the the world’s top aep-buyer?). so i’m just being honest here, in the spirit of ‘how do we fix/improve things’? that and video rollover previews (hint hint envato dudes)

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

as a buyer who buys tons of templates here, i also like the idea of DMCA/takedown notices for illegal resellers, since my competitors could pay a fraction of what I paid, on those types of sites. give em hell, send DMCAs, monitor/police your content and protect your projects from being ripped off/used by some cheap bad guys to do illegal renders on other sites

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

Okay, so here it is again… this year’s video rollovers thread.

I wonder how many customers Videohive loses to other sites, because of this lack of a no-brainer functionality. We have been promised this feature for about 3 years IIRC. It’s ridiculous that a site like this doesn’t have it.

As the quantity of stuff on the site grows, this missing feature becomes more and more relevant. Customers need to find what they’re looking for quickly. Quality authors need to have decent odds of recouping their time on the quality work they produce, rather than it going missing in the quagmire.

For Videohive, this feature is part of the search and every bit as important as any other improvements to the search engine. In the meantime, competitor sites have dropped their pricing, upped their quality and their quantity of files. This is becoming a decisive factor in where buyers and authors are going to go in the future. If Envato doesn’t do something about it, it’s going to start losing both.

So I personally think it’s time for a bit of transparency on this issue. No more empty promises and procrastination. We need to know concretely what is being done about this, what the problems are and to be given a definitive time scale for when it’s going to arrive.

Thoughts?

+1 I’ve been asking for years…still waiting. Envato devs, whats up? I’d much rather have video rollovers to look at than a bunch of internal header/footer ads that have cluttered vh lately. Video rollovers are expected for an ae projects microstock site like this, in 2014 at the latest; all your major competitors have them, it would be nice to see here.

Here’s my original request thread on the topic, from 3 years ago:

http://videohive.net/forums/thread/request-mouseover-video-preview-windows-like-everyone-else-hasfor-more-sales/35749

i was hoping for implementation within a year, now it’s been 3 looong years and zero video thumbnail previews. Any plans? thanks felt for bringing it up again… let’s everybody ask, lol, maybe we’ll see it this year

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

if I were an author here and saw evidence of my projects being misused, I’d

1) file a DMCA/legal takedown with the offending site (I’ve done this hundreds of times for my business

2) .cc their webhosting provider and dns/domain registrar

3) file DMCA with their payment processor to shut them down.

for example there’s no way a place that offers modifications of your templates for less than the price of the project, could possibly be doing it legitimately since they’re required by law/license to buy a new license for each customization.

i play hardball and takedown offenders, that’s my approach, has been for the 15 years i’ve been online fulltime and always will be so

1257 posts
graphic4444 says

there should be some way to audit/check that envato templates are in fact being bought Every time a new client video is created; I’d be suspicious that they likely just buy it once and keep reusing it, like the five dollar place does

by
by
by
by
by
by