Posts by graphic4444

1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

On the contrary, I’ve been successfully sending hundreds of DMCAs for years, and it’s significantly helped my sales (in my business). I also report pirate sites to police in country of origin and vigorously takedown pirates and prosecute them. It’s my livelihood to protect, so I’m damn good at it.

Pirates are scum. Piracy is leeching from cheap freeloaders who should be jailed. I do my part to report blackhat forums, pirate sites and more to law enforcement agencies as well as send DMCAs. I’m quite good at it. Pirates who get jail time (or more often, probation plus monitoring of their internet activity) are taken out of the equation.

Time to take out the trash. Piracy is scum and I vigorously take them down, hard. Have for many years. Being online fulltime for over a decade, I’ve seen it all. If we don’t collectively fight piracy as hard as I do, your content ends up doing what happened to the adult/xxx industry, it’s been decimated because people didn’t fight piracy and now there’s so much on ‘tube sites there’s been a huge drop in subscription sales. We don’t want that to happen here.

Envato’s authors work hard—I’m a top buyer and support authors’ rights to a piracy-free ‘net, because it’s their livelihood. Be honest, be fair, fight pirates and take the scumbags down. I do. They’re shocked, I’m told, when they get a local police officer showing up to their flat/apartment with an ISP warrant and hauled off for illegal content distribution/piracy. I laugh at pirate’s downfall.

Step 1: See a pirate site? Look up their domain info via ping/tracing (whois data is often phony), or other sites like ip2location.com after pinging to find location.

Step 2: Send DMCA both to their site location listed but also check who.godaddy.com or similar to find official email, and .cc your DMCA there.

Step 3: If they fail to take it down, google “police office” “cybercrime division” in the city in which they are reported to be location via ping/whois.

Step 4: screencap/pdf save evidence of piracy on their site

Step 5: Phone the police in their city, ask for ‘cybercrime division’ and offer to email the investigating officer copies of the DMCA/illegal pirate information.

Step 6: Ask for a case number, to ensure they follow up, and record the info for investigation.

Step 7: Be patient, it’s not their top priority so may take several months before police contact you again, for any other info.

Step 8: Let the police do their job, when taking down pirates and forwarding info to their PA/prosecuting atty’s office for criminal prosecution.

Voila! Pirates get busted, often it’s stupid poor young people who think they’re being cool or can get away with it. PIrates who go after my stuff get busted and taken down. Fight piracy hard, folks. It matters. Otherwise look at the adult industry, it’s been decimated. Take regular action to kill pirate sites and take legal/criminal prosecution action to ‘take out the trash’. It counts.

-k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

great video, thx for the link, looks fun

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

one colleague I know who has a moderately big business said he even hires a fulltime paralegal to do nothing but send DMCAs all day. That’s likely money well spent, if Envato can, as paralegals (people who are studying to be lawyers, but aren’t fully ones yet) may be a big help, either part-time temporary or fulltime, to hire to send DMCAs out.

It really does help, and if envato becomes known as having a new tough anti-piracy department w/staff that goes after this, even if just a single paralegal searching for and sending DMCAs, that could really help protect sales, which is good for everyone. I hate pirates, it wastes a lot of time going after them, but it is unfortunately a necessary admin task.

otherwise look what happened to the adult/xxx online site industry; they’re a good leading indicator of internet sales in general, with all the free ‘tube sites they’ve been decimated, with their sales down a lot (and likely forever from now on) because they didn’t take enough time for anti-piracy actions. adult is a very good ‘sign of times to come’ and you don’t want all your assets on free blackhat forums (and being resold by unauthorized “modify/create a video or wordpress theme for five bucks” type sites).

It really requires your attention, I’d step up enforcement a lot in 2014.

-k

also as a buyer it bugs me a bit that competitors can get for free/$5 stuff I paid a lot more for, as a top buyer here on envato. main thing is hire a paralegal to send DMCAs all day, money well spent for envato imho. or at least make it a temp job to see how it goes at first, someone who can be trained on how to use google alerts to ID infringing content, then how to draft and send DMCAs. Speaking of team efforts, you could also have a “fight piracy/report infringing links week” here, to have authors report links that could be gone after, on unauthorized modifier/$5 type sites as well as blackhat forums/blogs. That’ll give your paralegal months of work to go after, which is worthwhile. And please restore my sheriff’s badge, lol – lots of solid advice I’ve given.

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

it’s a shared responsibilty, neither envato alone nor individuals can do everything; if we all work together to reduce piracy with ongoing dmcas and hopefully criminal prosecutions/incarceration of pirates, that’ll help

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

Hi – as I peruse my collection of hundreds of ae projects it becomes hard to quickly skim through preview videos I’ve downloaded here (the mp4/flvs).

Does anyone have any suggestion for a media browser that works well? For example if it showed thumbnail view of all videos, that I could mouseover (or click on if needed) to watch the video?

there’s ones like acdsee, irfanview, faststone—any recommendations for what works best to show a grid of thumbnails that can be clicked on to watch video?

windows explorer large icon view is ok, but looking for something faster w/database cache to show preview video thumbnails that’ll play

thanks,

k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

This is what I’ve done myself, “How I’ve Killed Pirate Sites that Take Paypal” tip; (this is not advice; this is just to let you know what I’ve done myself personally)

I’ve gone after pirate sites successfully/killed their paypal accounts, by:

a) sending DMCA

b) if DMCA is not responded to/links removed, then I

c) go through the order process w/anonymous info entered as though I were going to order, to look at what their paypal account email is; it shows that, like “confirm payment $40 to (their email account that’s tied to paypal)

d) screencap all that/save to pdf (including the place on their site with your content that they pirated/are trying to resell illegal copies of)

e) file infringement report here w/pdf infringement proof:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/infringementrpt-full

disclaimer: That may or may not be an appropriate way for you to proceed, but it’s worked for me personally.

-k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

p!nk

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

good points, thanks. for me the biggest single thing that’s caused my buying to slow down a lot is the restrictive single-site licensing model; other places don’t make you buy multiple copies of the same project for a few of your own sites, like vh does. hopefully that’ll be relaxed/modified sometime…

i agree should charge multiple license if you’re a designer doing things for clients, but for us single small biz owners who simply want to use a project on say 2 of my different personally-owned sites, being able to do so without having to buy 2 licenses would be nice, since that’s what All the other AE template places have, w/royalty free.

if it were royalty-free multi-use for your own company like i need, then pricing as it is would be ok, but single-site restrictive license and price hike just caused me to cut buying in less than half here, this past year, fwiw

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

With the big recent increase in pricing here, it looks like sales are down the last few months, is this correct?

All the new projects seem to get fewer sales each week, ever since the price hike about 5-6 months ago. With competitors offering aeps at lower pricing (without the per-site license restriction VH has), it may be worth thinking about putting pricing back down where it was a year ago, vs all the $20-$25+ per project costs lately.

ideas?

thx, k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

Although I’m not a lawyer and this not legal advice, my personal understanding is that you should never try and capitalize on someone else’s fame by illegally using their celebrity name (or knockoff) in any commercial work, period.

Google “using celebrity names legal” and you’ll find you can’t use celebrity names:

https://www.google.com/search?q=using+celebrity+names+legal

don’t try and capitalize on someone else’s fame. (I’m famous in my niche, if anyone used my name without my express written permission, I’d most certainly have one of my three attys send a C&D/cease and desist then sue for publicity rights infringement if they didn’t remove it). we work hard for our branding/celebrity, trying to piggyback off that for your own gain is not allowed, nor fair. earn your own fame.

by
by
by
by
by
by