says
1385 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Achieved the monthly Community Superstar Award
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444
says

one thing I do in my business is Block IP addresses (at a server level, plus via security scripts) of bad people

1385 posts
graphic4444
says

+1 for annual renewal to include support, I buy multiple copies of plugins/themes I use regularly anyways, to support authors

1385 posts
graphic4444
says

perfect points, dream-theme… those few people who pay extra for support are Also most likely to be troublesome/time-sucking customers who expect a ton of Q&A + customizations, taking time up that should be used more wisely, like on new features/themes/plugins.

nightmare for authors, especially single-man companies

better to just put LIMITS, well-publicized, on how many questions/support tickets per week/month buyers can send in….

personally in my business I make it well-known that I don’t make time for a lot of Q&A, it’s not included, to happily repel the bad ‘time-vampire’ leech customers (<10%) so I can FOCUS on product development for the 90% good customers. I’m the most prolific/productive guy in my industry, very successful, because I set boundaries and limits. I feel bad for you envato authors that have to put up with moronic time-sucking pain in the butt customers, lol—I blacklist pita people, so they go elsewhere.

Solution is to make well-publicized LIMITS on how many questions/tickets a week can be sent in, per purchase… make ‘em buy an additional license if they want to ask extra questions, problem solved maybe. at least a start. you’ve gotta put LIMITS on support, but don’t charge extra for it, that won’t fly. you’ll scare away all your customers.

1385 posts
graphic4444
says

agree re limits should be put on support, so it’s reasonable, like 3-4 max per month or something…as a buyer I like to see authors updating/creating with 80% of their time…

...not on the 14th support ticket this week from a newbie moron customer

• as long as we’re all reasonable, there is no need for tacking on paid support, except as option for those clingy/stupid/clueless (<10%?) customers that waste authors’ time.

so including some limited support ongoing (3-4 tickets/month after first month, included) at no cost should meet needs of most good honest buyers.

and for the rare pain in the a.. customer that wants to send in more than a couple support requests a week, charge a la carte for them

what do you all think?

1385 posts
graphic4444
says

I still think this was the wrong move & focus, especially after the reaction post-announcement last year. I think the time and energy would be much better spent focusing on monetizing “services” that an author can offer (installation, customization, etc). It seems to be much more in line with what authors actually want.

+1. Charging for support that’s always been included = BAD idea, I will spend significantly less here if you do this greedy money-grubbing action (as I’m sure many other buyers will, too.).

Think of the huge hit in sales you’ll all suffer, authors, if us buyers think twice/skip buying because now we see some greedy subscription-type support plan TAX/expense option at checkout. Bigtime Epic FAIL. and i’m a 6+ year top envato buyer.

and btw lifetime-support as previously advertised means exactly that,if you try and illegally cap that to 6 months post-purchase, that violates original-purchase TOS/terms, grandfathered support and you may well see legitimate honest buyer complaints to the US FTC and AU https://www.accc.gov.au/

envato you should check with trade-law attorneys for compliance/legal ramifications. You must honor time-of-purchase obligations as advertised. I and others bought many items with lifetime/unlimited support advertised (I have screencap proof), if you now renege on that by now imposing support costs/limits, that’ll likely get ACCC + FTC complaints/fines from buyers who’ve been misled.

Note you’re now saying “If the item advertised support for more than 6 months, those items will be supported for 6 months after the new start date” ...I believe that may be against consumer trade law re breach of contract/false advertising laws. If I bought and it advertised “unlimited/lifetime support”, that is the contractual agreement that must be honored.

I hope that envato honors wisely reconsiders and honors legal original purchase terms for all grandfathered/original purchases.

If not, you may see many complaints at https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems/make-a-consumer-complaint
1385 posts
graphic4444
says

as a longtime top buyer (who seldom asks for support) i think it’s a greedy, shortsighted, poor idea to now all of a sudden start taxing/charging for support that’s for years been included. major turnoff, bad idea envato, i’ll spend less here as a result.

smacks of a greedy moneygrubbing ploy to overcharge and I’m disgusted with the idea. like a goverment that starts raising taxes just to grab more money. EPIC Fail. :(

1385 posts
graphic4444
says

thanks, I will try that one, installed it and it looks good, i like country-blocking..

1385 posts
graphic4444
says

hi – any recent updates/ideas to reduce WP comment spam, beyond akismet? many thanks…

1385 posts
graphic4444
says

maybe sticky this thread til it’s all resolved?

by
by
by
by
by
by