• Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

very well written comments by felt …

1285 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
graphic4444 says

I think $18 for a track is cheap enough for small business uses – even if you have to pay it five times for five projects. It’s more than a good value – it’s a steal.

not compared to virtually all your competitors. Google ‘royalty free music’ and compare licenses. I spent thousands on rf audio, just not here. that’s why.

1285 posts
graphic4444 says

hi -

as a guideline, for projects that feature physical products, like DVD covers, rather than undignified spinning-around ones, I’d recommend camera shots like that used in cyzer’s excellent logo project (which i’ve bought, thx):

http://videohive.net/item/glossy-video-reflections-logo-or-title/841725

the reason is, when you’re trying to sell a project, close-up “hero” panning shots like this are a great way to emphasize the product being sold…make sense?

that’s a good commercial photography/ae tip for any product-for-sale related project, is have both wide-angle far shot as well as closeup panning over it…because that makes it easier to sell product, which makes your ae project likely of more interest to us buyers

1285 posts
graphic4444 says

It’s important to note that overly restrictive licensing (like envato’s current single-use restriction) makes it noncompetitive with virtually Every other royalty free audio place buyers like me buy tracks from.

Normally if a small business owner like me buys a royalty-free music track from an established place, like all the ones that are in business from long before aj was, we can use it in unlimited of our own projects. I will typically just want to use a track in up to 3-5 of my own projects, so not a lot, but I don’t understand why Envato restricts royalty free usage to a single application.

Google ‘royalty free music’ and look at everyone else’s licenses. One competitor changed to single-use after envato started doing that, but not most others. Many places offer bundles, eg 8-10 tracks of which 2 or so are very good, w/unlimited use for a bargain price. And that’s from very large well established royalty-free audio places w/bigger catalogs who’ve been in business longer.

On behalf of other buyers, I’d urge Everyone to google ‘royalty free music’ and carefully check license terms and pricing elsewhere. I spend 1000s on rf audio, but not here due to the single-use restriction. How about opening that up to say 3-5 uses for ones’ own projects, as the standard license, Envato staff?

Example one top company’s RF audio license reads in part “grants to you a perpetual, non-exclusive…worldwide right to display, use, reproduce, publish…in an unlimited number of projects, in whole or …”... but not Envato. Why would I buy here with a “you can only use it in one project” license when bigger competitors offer top-quality audio w/unlimited use license?

(this doesn’t apply to PRO/broadcast/film/movie usage; I’m talking about the other 99% which is us small biz owners that want to use a track in a couple of promo free videos as backing etc)

1285 posts
graphic4444 says

that brings up a slightly offtopic point, eg as videohive/envato changes their license structure, it’s important to remember that at least here in the USA, the buyer’s rights are for what the license terms were when the license was at the time of purchase. that’s a good point not just for envato but for anything you buy, is remember to download and save the license that was in place when you bought an item. I always in my browser file/save as to c:/licenses/ from original web pages when I buy something, so I have legal proof/documentation.

Otherwise companies could sell under a reasonable use license, buyer buys something, then 2 years later completely changes/restrict usage… in that case, the license that was in effect originally when buyer bought, is what the agreement is between buyer/seller.

1285 posts
graphic4444 says

Remember too from a top buyer’s standpoint, Envato’s single-use current licensing restriction is not competitive with most other royalty-free audio places I can buy tracks from, which do not have this restriction.

I completely agree that broadcast use/major motion picture/television use/client project usage needs a different/higher license structure.

But for the other 99.5% of your buyers, us single small biz owners, your pricing should stay in iine with other RF audio places (and w/single-use restriction you’re already way more expensive than anyone else). Remember I’m accustomed to buying RF audio from other places that don’t have that single-use restriction, which is not competitive with other RF audio sellers/vendors at other RF audio websites. That makes envato’s current pricing much higher already even for least-expensive license, which is why I seldom buy RF audio here.

I buy audio tracks elsewhere; your competitors’ licenses for many vendors at least, say you can buy it once and use it as you wish in multiple projects (of your own; not for clients/others), which is how most royalty-free content places operate (for images, video and other media resources).

Google “royalty free music” and look at licenses of other places; typically they say you can use it in any unlimited manner (other than sync/broadcast/resale use). So envato’s hugely restrictive “you can only use a track in a single project’ license means you’re not competitive with most other royalty free resources who’ve been around longer than aj. As a buyer, that’s why I buy 98%+ /most of my RF audio elsewhere. That’s important to keep in mind, from a “you’re already too expensive compared to your competitors” standpoint.

This is true for all envato marketplaces; “royalty free” licenses historically have never had single-use restrictions, from other longer-established rf companies. So I come here as a last resort. I do not do client projects, all I buy is for my own sites. There should be a limited-standard multi use license, eg the standard license should accomodate 3-5 uses at least, for one’s own projects/sites, which is typical for us small biz owner needs.

It would be nice to be able to buy a track here and use it in 2 different promo free videos on 2 of my different sites; under envato’s single-use license I’d need to pay twice for it, even though it’s just for my own use on just 2 of my own personal sites. Most of your competitors who’ve been in business longer than aj don’t have that restriction, so I buy from them instead.

Google “royalty free music” and look at everyone else’s licenses. Us buyers do. I mean really why can’t I use a track here in 2 of my own sites’ free promo videos as background without paying twice for a license? That’s why I don’t buy rf audio here much, unless I know I’ll only use a track in a single of my projects, which I don’t want to be restricted to, since that’s not typical for all your competitors or the industry, from longer-established RF music sites I buy from instead.

1285 posts
graphic4444 says

you should limit the number of support requests per customer per week or month, so “comes with 6 months support, limit 15 questions total during 6 months” or “limit 3 questions per week” or whatever number is reasonable.

otherwise you get MORON customers who don’t read the docs wasting your time with incessant or outside-of-scope questions

you need like I recommended a “General Envato WP Support Forum” that envato runs and moderates for newbie/general WP questions, they absolutely should be required to shoulder some of the support burden for their 30% or whatever fee/commish, imho.

1285 posts
graphic4444 says

(I’m a top buyer here)..

ENVATO WP THEME SUPPORT FORUM: ...um you need one—where is it? I would think to myself if I were new here. Why no Envato FORUM with threads for general WP theme support?

One suggestion to help authors is, given how much $$ envato makes, I think You/Envato should also provide support independently of authors, for wordpress general theme type questions.

Given your resources, Envato, you guys really need to have a “general wp support” forum for buyers, that authors can point to for “go ask your question there” help for buyers, for newbie/non theme-specific questions. Don’t make authors shoulder 100% of the support burden, that’s not fair I think. You need to hire a forum moderator/wp pro to field general newbie wp questions, in a central place, with regular forum.

That way, authors can say “general WP questions? See the Envato WP Theme Support Forum first”... that would Really help everyone.

So for theme-specific questions, authors still need to do that… but for General wordpress / plugin / dumb questions from wp newbies / That should be something Envato maintains a support forum for. It’s a massive WP theme store, and yet you guys have Zero support forum, with searchable threads. wtf I’d think if i were a new buyer. for that matter wtf I’d think if I were an author being asked to do a ton more support work.

What do you guys think? Envato makes a bundle, I think Envato should shoulder some of the WP theme support burden, at least for general WP support issues, in a forum, like other WP theme member sites do. It may not be fair to authors to take 30% and not shoulder any of the support burden for general WP theme questions; look at wp membership sites where for a small amount buyers get multiple themes plus support forum for example. What say you, authors?

I’m one of the world’s top internet marketer-types, online fulltime 15+ years, that’s good advice. for free even :)

AUTHORS: Vote +1 if you agree

1285 posts
graphic4444 says

Enforcing standards would be important, or it could create a lot of hassle for authors, plus confused buyers.

to GUARD against:

a) Moron Customers who ask too many stupid questions wasting authors’ time during first 6 months…”read the FAQ/RTFM/docs” is a must.

LIMITS on how many questions per customer can be sent in, or you get wordpress newbies asking how to install plugins, wasting your time, with daily/weekly questions

I see SO many freakingly stupid questions from buyers I don’t know how you guys have patience for it, I wouldn’t, lol. They don’t even read the docs first. Envato be sure to have LIMITS on frequency of questions like 2 per week per buyer, and make them agree to RTFM Before asking for help. Or you’re gonna have the mother of all support nightmares w/new policy and authors can’t create new content.

b) Lazy/busy Authors who sell a template, never update it, or don’t provide even a little support.

Both types of people are bad, somehow safeguarding with SPECIFIC measurable do’s and don’ts would help, I think…ideas?

1285 posts
graphic4444 says

it’ll be interesting to see how it works out; agree there should be standard guidelines for authors & buyers for what specifically is/should be included w/purchase, vs extended help

by
by
by
by
by
by