Posts by graphic4444

1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

I don’t know if anyone has this already, but it would be great to see some logo-type graphics, eg small icons, or elements that could be combined/used by the buyer to make custom logos for their sites, as something to sell… best approach since there’s multiple buyers would be to create “logo idents/components v1” type graphic, with 10-20 small elements (geometric shapes/etc) that the end buyer could combine/work with to create individual logos from, like a “Logo Construction Kit”... (that’s a good idea I think?)..

As I create new sites, I’m always looking for small cool graphics to add next to the text title of the site; there’s a lot of logo type stock out there already, but not a lot of good web 2.0 type stuff (w/glassy effects, bright colors etc)

here’s an example of what I mean, more like these:

http://graphicriver.net/item/design-element-1/70006 http://graphicriver.net/item/set-of-sport-people-symbols/57965

there’s some great ones here already, might be good to have web 2.0 glossy type icons for logo elements as well

thx,

k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

very well written posts! totally agree. for those of you fellow old-timers like me, you’ll remember that for years “lens flares” were all the rage and ended up becoming overused cliches in the motion gfx industry. They should be there as minor enhancements to an already well-done project, not there just for a ‘wow’ effect. So the challenge is figuring out how to creatively use ofs correctly.

Same is true for flares; we don’t all want them to look the same for our projects (or for those with clients, their clients’ projects)... so some innovation would be a great idea with flares… there’s lots of ways to use them… being creative is a good thing. it wouldn’t be good to see a bunch of imitative copycat flare projects continue to be produced (like banner rotators at ad for example)... agree with the points above, find some New and creative ways to add them subtly to projects… the main thing is 3d space and high energy and creativity; things which the top selling guys here know and do a super job of.

excellent tutorial/points on LFs from felt, thx, you guys take note.

-k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

Hi Mark, sounds good, thanks … just if you guys could get the authors to not send my private email out to dozens of other people that now have it and can see it; would be appreciated, and letting everyone know that that’s a no-no re policy update/communication with authors, should hopefully fix it…thanks!

-k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

I still have not gotten a reply from the support desk, days later. Please reply asap. I posted this and sent in supporting documentation to your support desk 4 days ago, and as of today still no reply ( 06 June 2010). I’d appreciate your help in resolving this, so that my private email is not illegally open .cc’d out to dozens of other people without my permission any more, as two of your authors have done so far.

I hope this gets resolved internally w/vh and the authors; just make sure they don’t do this anymore; please make a policy statement here and let me know the outcome via my email (so I have documentation of compliance in response to my C&D); thanks.

-k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

good question; I always do my own mods but it would be nice if the price were right to be able to hire out mod work to the original template developer from time to time, at a price that’s fair for all, not too high and not too cheap….

ideas:

+ making simple mods like changing text only and/or colors should be cheap, w/deliverable just being modified .aep file, that the customer has to render themselves still (cheapest rate)

+ slightly more expensive would be if customer provides source avi footage and text to include in templates, with deliverable being the modified .aep and the rendered source avi (how would that be delivered? eg rars via rapidshare, or other way?)

+ most expensive would be a lot of modifications to the core template, such as new camera angles, or wider/narrower video boxes/lines/other mods to core template elements, with full renders from customer-supplied avi sources and texts… since that would take most time.

Also remember buyers here, vs other places, tend to be more budget-conscious… me I buy a ton because I’d like to have 5 $25 templates vs 1 $100 template… though I still buy a lot everywhere…

Your core customers are likely those who a) appreciate a good bargain, like me, or b) are motion gfx designers who use these templates for customer work (who wouldn’t be as likely to subcontract out mods to you), eg they buy a $25 template here. mod it for big clients and charge a bundle to them.

Pricing also varies by country-of-origin of authors, eg folks in countries where the cost of living is a lot less can usually afford to charge a lot less than people in pricier western countries, and that’s always an endless source of debate on freelance programming bid boards, regarding fair pricing.

Pricing ideas for each type of project? Would be good to get ballpark estimates from a lot of you. Also for customers, it’s important everyone understand that once a project has been agreed to, the customer is not allowed to add a bunch of changes and new features after the fact, or midway through, unless there’s a new price/added price for new work to be done, based on hours… and programmers, ae artists, keep your deadlines, don’t promise 1 week and it takes a month, type of thing. Those are the two most common issues from both sides I’ve seen everywhere.

-k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

Hi, certainly – I have done so, and edited the above post to include the ticket id’s as well.

I don’t mind so much getting unsolicited emails from the authors, even though I did not agree to that and that’s not can-spam compliant (as I can filter/block those if I wish)...

However I absolutely demand that my private email address not be shared with dozens of other buyers, which these two authors have done. That’s very unprofessional, illegal, non DMCA compliant, and must stop immediately. My private email address, which reveals my identity, is not to be included in a big chain of open .ccs that all other buyers of these authors can see, and that’s what happened, as you can see from the email I forwarded, as I did with the last one.

Also it’s fine to delete this thread and replace it with something more specific regarding the policy, and make it a sticky, and email all the authors, once it’s resolved… just let me (and the buyers/sellers) know what actions and policy you will be taking moving forward, to remain can-spam compliant and safeguard our policy from rogue authors sending out my identity to dozens of other buyers here.

Thanks,

k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

Hi – thanks, I just did. I also reported the first time this happened, from a different author, last month, and didn’t get a response from support. This time I’ve sent emails via your support ticket system again. I also pm’d Mark the last time this happened as well in addition to sending a support ticket, but did not get a response. Please advise re what specific steps envato is taking to remain can-spam compliant, moving forward. I realize you can’t control your author’s actions when they’re not compliant, but some kind of corrective action/specific steps/policy is needed, to avoid future privacy violations like this.

I forwarded the entire email to your support ticket today again, like I did last time (from a different author, who did it last time), in addition to this thread.

Understandably I do not want my private email address publicly broadcast to dozens of other buyers, which this author (and the other one) did. I also forwarded the actual email from the author, and this thread, to your domain whois email of record, domains@envato.com, in addition to my IP rights legal counsel.

I expect you to notify authors that if they do this again, they will be dropped as an author here, or some other specific action you will take. If this continues to occur, I will have no choice but to report this violation to the accc.gov.au’s office, because I do not want my identify/privacy violated by spam emails sent to me that reveal my private email address (and identity) to others. This damages my business and is actionable. Thank you for your prompt, decisive actions in this matter, please advise once you’ve made corrective policy actions and followed up.

Authors, if you do this, you are legally liable for damages, in addition to envato, so please cease and desist. This is a legal C&D notice (cease and desist) and has been screencapped/page saved as pdf in case of evidenciary proceedings that may be necessary if this doesn’t stop at once. This is my final notice, the accc’s office will contact you if this happens again.

Ticket ID: 76586 Ticket ID: 76589

thanks,

k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

For the second time in a month, I’ve gotten unsolicited email from a VH author (this is a different one, I’ve had two authors do this so far), telling me they have new templates online. Worse of all, these emails have .cc’s showing my and EVERY OTHER CUSTOMERS ’ private email addresses that they’ve sold to.

This is an illegal can-spam violation, so please stop immediately or these get forwarded to the NY Atty General’s office for legal action. This is a final warning.

It’s a blatant privacy violation, as these (two so far, well known authors here), are sending out emails saying “here’s my latest templates”, which I guess I don’t mind, but what I do mind a LOT is that they’re exposing my email address to dozens of other customers. They send out emails with open .cc lists showing dozens of other customers’ private email addresses. Yes I’m serious, and it’s happened more than once.

What if I were a competitor (or other author) of VH, and they sent that to me? Nobody wants our private emails exposed in violation of our privacy rights.

The only emails I want from anyone, is if I sent something asking “can I get the audio file for (project x) I just bought?”. Recommendation: VH, I would recommend you immediately tell all authors not to send out unsolicited spam emails with my private email address exposed to all the other customers who’ve bought from that author to see.

As your site’s top buyer, or one of them, I’m really disappointed by this unprofessional (and illegal) behavior from a couple of your authors. The last time this happened, I sent a copy of the email to support here, and didn’t get a response.

That’s very very bad and has to stop immediately, or else. And yes I do file AG complaints. Or in VH’s case, I’ll have to file a legal complaint at http://www.accc.gov.au and file a DMCA complaint w/your servers/engineyard. And you don’t want that.

Will you guys please tell the authors to not send unsolicited spam emails that show my private email address? This is your final warning. And yes I’m quite serious.

VH – what will you do to make sure these can-spam violations do not occur again? Specifically. Please let me know immediately. My next email is my forwarding those to the accc.gov.au’s office; hopefully that won’t be necessary for legal compliance.

I’d like to keep buying here, but not if my email gets revealed to dozens of other buyers without my permission in violation of my privacy rights. Please fix this immediately. Thank you.

The emails are like:

“Here’s my new templates” (vh links)... .cc my email address.com anotherbuyersemailaddress.com 2ndbuyersemailaddres.com etc, to dozens of people—everyone can see all this authors’ buyers’ private email addresses! That’s got to stop.

-k

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

Hi -

I make it a point to post something about 100% of the many files I’ve bought on the envato sites over the years, and I’d like to encourage other buyers to do the same… it’s motivating for the authors plus gives them good feedback.

For example I like to try and give specific “what I liked best” about files; if you other buyers have the time/energy to do that, it would add a lot to the community, I’d think. Also one of the main reasons I leave specific feedback re what I liked (eg “the last 2 seconds of the logo animation where it has a flyin, and the optical flares during the intro/outro was great”) gives input to other authors as well, to see why at least one buyer bought, for ideas on what to do in their projects, the ‘best elements’ in design that are appreciated.

the unique things that are best about the design, also help to encourage innovation vs same-looking projects, as authors give thought to what to produce.

so, just a thought – I’m sure the authors appreciate hearing why you liked their files, (I would if I were in their shoes), so if you have the inclination, the ‘reason you got it’ or ‘what you liked best’ about the project, would be welcome comments to make…

to great video,

ken

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

i think your response was very polite, and if the customer didn’t understand it was a quicktime render vs an aep they shouldn’t have complained, it’s only a $5 file after all… some customers aren’t nice, that’s the way of the world… I used to get upset, and still do on rare occasion, but mostly I just ‘let it go’ and focus on new projects/new customers instead..

great file btw

i have found over time that there are some people who are just not nice customers, and it’s best to ask them to go elsewhere, if they repeatedly cause problems… if it’s a one time thing, they should still be nice in how they communicate i think… well keep up the good work.

by
by
by
by
by
by