Posts by graphic4444

1379 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Achieved the monthly Community Superstar Award
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444
says

Hi – Most filesharing sites have this type of format for DMCA takedown requests.

For more, google “DMCA takedown request” http://www.google.com/search?q=DMCA+takedown+request&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

or better yet, just click on the “Abuse” link on the various filesharing sites, and they’ll tell you how to report infringing content links, as in:

http://rapidshare.com/abuse.html

http://www.filestube.com/dmca.html

etc

anyways I’m really busy, can’t keep talking about piracy, hopefully people can be honest and where that doesn’t work, use the estalbished/legal DMCA takedown processes to keep files off the filsharing sites. Good luck with it; it’s a major headache to deal with pirates/filesharing, it’s bad for everyone.

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

Example of an email I just sent… There’s a pirate website selling bootleg copies of dvds my company produces; here’s an example of an email I just sent the privacy-protect site that their domain registrar is listed under (they hide domain owner name identities from whois lookups).

+++++++++

Hello, according to your ‘abuse’ form on your site, I am requesting contact information of the owner.

Since your service has been DMCA -notified that you are shielding the contact information of an infringing/illegal pirate site, you share in both criminal and civil liability if you do not take action to de-register/disclose the contact information of the domain owner.

I will have no choice but to have law enforcement and civil actions brought against your organization as a co-defendent in criminal and civil liability for your role in facilitating illegal commerce per DMCA case law. This has been forwarded to my legal counsel and I will have law enforcement contact you with a subpeona/serve criminal action against you if you do not comply. This is my final notice.

Your organization has been notified that it is engaging in criminal/civil action by involving with/shielding the contact information of a pirate website as reference in my original DMCA notice to your company. Further contact will be initiated by law enforcement officials and court action as necessary. I routinely file criminal and civil charges against illegal pirate domain owners, privacy-protect shield organizations and hosting providers as necessary to stop illegal activity that damages my organization, as you and your shielded customer are engaged in. If you are named co-defendent in legal action because you are shielding a DMCA -violation pirate organization, I will file civil lawsuit damages against your organization for no less than $100,000.00 for illegal piracy damages. This is my final notice.

+++++++

Obviously I am not someone to be f*cked with, I routinely take a hard line against pirates and do report them to police and sue them, wherever in the world they are. They seem genuinely surprised, apparently some people don’t fight pirates hard enough. I do.

-k

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

From what I see, usage within a series of videos is allowed under standard regular license per item #10 at:

http://wiki.envato.com/buying/licenses-buying/videohive-regular-and-extended-license-usage-examples/

“Single free-to-download videocast series.” Series. Meaning more than one in a single series. Obviously when we buyers buy these projects, we don’t expect to have to pay a huge extended license fee for using in more than a single youtube video; no other stock after effects template site has that kind of restriction. And according to the license it’s fine to use the same project within a series of videos.

Overly-restrictive licensing will drive buyers to your competitors. Most don’t have any usage restrictions at all regarding usage in multiple projects once they’re bought, envato does however, which makes buying projects here a bit less appealing. Why would I buy a project and have to re-buy it 5 times for 5 different projects, when I could go buy an aep from a competitor’s site (or the individual author’s sites, which are increasing in number a lot lately), that has no such restrictions? Of course I do honor the license restrictions here, but it’s a big turnoff.

If I buy a project once I’d like to know, like with most royalty-free stock sites, that I can use it in multiple projects (envato used to be like that, too; they changed to this single-use only license model back in 2008; you can verify by using the archive.org ‘wayback machine’ and look at the license pages here from back in 2006-2007), without having to ‘rebuy’ the license.. eg like other aep and stock photo/video sites offer. The only “extended” license that places like istock and others require, is if you’re using it in product templates or other resale type mass market items. I’m still your top buyer, but given a choice for similar projects, I will buy from other places, ones that do Not have this extremely restrictive single-use license restriction in place (which is virtually every other site that sells after effects projects).

My thinking is, if I have to rebuy a $25 aep 5 times for 5 different projects (like my own websites), that’s overcharging, on envato’s part… (unless it’s for paid client projects). I can go ‘down the street’ and pay $50 or so for a project that I can use dozens of times for years to come in my projects instead, saving me a lot.

My proposal: I’d suggest to envato that they have 3 categories of license: a) standard: includes up to 5 (or 10?) usages for a buyer, for sites they own personally b) standard plus: single use per client project c) extended use: (as it currently reads)

This personal-site usage, which many of us currently use these projects for, would be less restrictive, while still giving higher-price license options for those that use these for client projects, in which case I’d agree that if you produce videos for clients, you should re-buy it for each client (since they need to pay you anyways). But for us using these for our own websites (or youtube videos etc), those should allow us to use it at least a few times without having to rebuy the license.

That’s a competitive advantage that non-envato sites have, is that’s going through my mind as a buyer, is ok it’s an ok upfront price, just $15-25, so If I’m only gonna use this project once, that’s fine. But if I’m going to use it many times in the years to come, it’ll cost me a lot of money to rebuy it multiple times… so I go buy elsewhere that doesn’t have that restriction instead. Make sense?

-k

p.s. though I can afford it; many of your new/regular customers may not be able to; it’s likely driving away customers to competitor’s sites, when they read how restrictive the single-use license is. Right now it means I can’t even use the same project in two of my Own different websites, without having to rebuy it, and That’s definitely too restrictive imho.

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

hi – no I can’t get involved in other people’s issues, even if I had time… what I do is send DMCA takedown notices first to the filesharing sites in question, then to the hosting company where the site is located, then also to the domain URL registrar, to try and get their site de-listed. Unfortunately sometimes people in other countries post fake whois stuff in the domain registry so it’s hard to trace and prosecute; (I also use geolocation IP lookup site online). It can be a fulltime job fighting piracy, that’s why it would be good if there was a 3rd party company or service that could do that kind of thing for us busy entrepreneurs.

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

but don’t just copy other people’s projects, be creative.

me I like chinese girlfriends.. but that’s another story… I miss one from Bejing I used to date.. ah well life goes on. chinese food is good, I like kung pao dishes..

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

Thanks – hey you really know your video, felt – I took notes/copied that for reference. Very helpful to know about 3:2 pulldowns and how to render for different output formats… that’s exactly what I needed to know. Great tips! right re internet can just do in nle, for dvd production on ntsc tv playback, trying to get to the 29.97 so the process you outlined makes a lot of sense—thanks very much for such a thoughtful, professional answer.. much appreciated.

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

Hi -

I’ve noticed that the native encoding for some of the aeps here is 25 fps (for pal?)... but since all my encoding is at 29.97 fps for NTSC /video.. what’s the best way to handle this?

a) change the frame rate to render to 30fps(?) in ae when rendering? that’s a choice when “make movie” is selected to render… changing render from native 25fps to something else like 30fps or 29.97 fps.. what’s best? (tradeoff = slower render times/interpolated frames?)

or

b) just render in the aep’s native 25 fps and drop it into my nle (vegas) 29.97 fps timeline and not worry about it

c) other?

not sure the best approach, I don’t want jittery renders, or mixed render looks since I composite projects with multiple aep footage (eg an intro from a 25fps aep render plus video box from 29.97 standard aep render plus more…).

thx,

-k

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

it’s a great idea to somehow figure out how to ‘bundle’ things together, too – to give discounts either on multiple-projects put together in the same bundle, and/or motion graphics as part of a bundled package, but I don’t think envato is set up to do bundles (yet?), but that would increase sales revenue, most likely. and special time limited discount offers, and other effective marketing/product sales techniques.

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

great idea if it could be implemented, same idea re invisible watermarking video downloads for stock video type stuff if possible… (and not just ban, I’d sue and report to police for criminal charges).. would be a great 3rd party service, eg some server-side individual watermarking service, for people like me who sell downloadable videos/dvds, and for envato/you guys who sell creative assetts… I know there’s some kind of watermarking stuff for image files out there; would be nice if there was some way to add traceability embedded invisibly per-customer download, for all of us in creative businesses, so we can file criminal charges vs pirates, as a great deterrent. I have no mercy for pirates, I’m the “pirate hunter” lol for my biz.

-k

1379 posts
graphic4444
says

Yes – and fortunately there’s a ton of case and criminal precedent law cases online regarding piracy and charges brought against pirates. Some people mistakenly seem to believe that being behind a computer screen with a proxy committing piracy/reposting copyrighted works, magically protects them from a knock on their door from local law enforcement and time in jail. It doesnt.

http://www.drmwatch.com/legal/article.php/3296061

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/12/piracy-verdict-finalized/

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/10/riaa-jury-finds/

http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2010/02/nintendo_wins_another_piracy_court_case

The neat thing is, with all the precedent case law it’s very easy to file criminal and civil charges (and win) against pirates who mistakenly rip off our collective creative works and post it on filesharing sites; a subpeona reveals the IP address, which is timestamped to the owners’ location, and bang makes it easy for local law enforcement to step in and arrest/convict the pirate for posting stuff on __ share.com type sites.

-k

by
by
by
by
by
by