Posts by graphic4444

1269 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

it’s good to get feedback from you ‘early adopters’... my main objection is the staggering 2-3 days workload involved in upgrading to windows 7, which may still be buggy… so I always always wait at least 1 year+ after release of any windows o/s before upgrading… and then having to reinstall all my software, and activations and all that, is a nightmare… for example I’m glad I’m still using winxp and not vista, which I really dislike… and for whatever as-of-yet unknown security and operating bugs exist in windows 7, I’m not going to risk the machine I make my living with to a new o/s anytime soon… and in this economy I don’t want to shell out a bunch of money for cs5 and win7, when what I have works just fine… at least it’s good to know some of you are out there testing the waters… best wishes with it. I won’t be buying anything that’s cs5 for at least a year, fwiw, and many other buyers are likely the same… you developers always want the latest stuff, which is fine, but many of us buyers/users may not… something to keep in mind. cs4 is fine.

Google terms like “windows 7 incompatibilities” (there’s a lot) and “windows 7 problems” :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/174342/windows_7_upgrade_woes_mount_endless_reboots_and_product_key_problems.html

http://news.techworld.com/operating-systems/3204955/microsoft-blames-users-for-windows-7-problems/

http://www.technibble.com/windows-7-problems/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/compatibility

windows 7? no thanks. at least not yet til 2011/2012 at the earliest. no cs5 for me. I don’t need rotoscoping or ultra-fast render speeds, not something worth the hassle. All the projects I’ve bought here render in under 90-120 minutes on my winxp 4gig machine, many 20-40 mins, which is plenty fast.

The legion of win7 problems out there tells me no thanks. At least not for a year, til they fix all the problems with patches and updates.

-k

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

lol massfocus, well said. nice to know too re making it right

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

pricing is probably the toughest thing to ‘get right’; they do a world-class job here of doing what has seemed to be very fair and well-done pricing… it takes a lot of experience to ‘get it right’, which they’ve done here.

the thing I’d remind you is to be extremely customer-focused; what matters is Not how much work an author put into something… for example a new ae author who’s inexperienced may take a week to create a so-so project that ends up priced at $12 and doesn’t sell at all…(and become discouraged).... while a highly experienced ae designer may create a kick-butt project in 48 hours that’s priced at $22 and sell dozens inside a month or so…

the main thing is, “what will the buyers pay for the product?... what’s the ‘sweet spot’ between price and quality?” .... that’s what’s going thru the reviewers’ minds, in addition to ‘how creative, how much detail, how advanced and unique’ types of factors, I’d think.

key to success is to be keenly aware of what people want to buy… as evidenced by best-selling projects… also remember to factor in recency, eg newer features like OF won’t be found in top selling old projects, but may be worthwhile for new stuff, if done well. “the market” doesn’t care how much personal time or energy you put into anything you sell… in any marketing process for that matter… all they/we care about is, how well can it meet our needs, and is the price fair? ... having a keen sense of what the buyers will pay, and what will be popular, is what makes for successful high-selling products.

-k

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

yes- congrats guys… the logo transformer’s very cool.. good point re Originality well-done is well-rewarded..

one of my all time favorites here is still this bestseller: http://videohive.net/item/urban-destruct-2-of-the-cinematic-series/45644

haven’t seen the author post much, kenzii, but when he does his files are great (like a subway one I’d also bought earlier)...

and of course all the cool ones from plamen, elements, generator, inlife and the rest of you top guys… nice to see so much ongoing creativity here, it’s the most inspirational site on the internet, to me at least, which is why I’m here many times a day… great job, guys.

-k

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

yep not for a long long time… I’m still running winxp and it renders your guys’ CS4 files just fine, no longer than 10-30 minutes for most everything, complex renders may take an hour or so, no big deal…. I’d have to install windows 7 (and I’m not going to, I’m glad I skipped vista, I’ve got it on a laptop and it bites)... and then reinstall every one of my hundreds of programs, which would take several days. that’s not gonna happen, at least not for another year or two at least. upgrading to win7 maybe in 2012 if I have to… still thrilled with winxp… fwiw I didn’t upgrade win2k to winxp til I had to, for running sony vegas latest builds… anyways yeah it’ll take at least a year plus for most to pony up the money and time and buy a new o/s, especially in this Great Depression/recession we’re in…. thx for keeping them at cs4 level for at least a long time… year+ ... thanks… :)

-k

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

i hope never, I’ll never buy cs5 and have no plans to buy windows 7 and install that and buy cs5, at least not for a couple of years… most of us have just recently, this last year or so, upgraded to CS4 ….no cs5 please

my .02,

k

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

agree w/felt… when you buy an AE template you’re buying the design structure, not the embedded videos and audio, which are in the demo to show an example of how it could look once it’s produced. what you buy here is the aep project file.

extras like tutorials (appreciated but not neccessary imo, I’d rather see you guys spend energy on new projects vs tutorials, though they’re usually very well done), or the fonts, videos, music, are not included. I do think it would be helpful to mostly use tracks available here from audiojungle and reference those in the description, to keep revenue streams here to help each other, vs external audio. I appreciate authors telling us name/source of fonts. I also like it for large projects when they split out scenes into separate aeps + main comp vs just main comp, fwiw.

-k

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

That is an excellent point, agree – sometimes extremely well-done professional projects don’t sell, which is hard to understand (and some that imho aren’t that great, sell a lot)... it’s hard to understand buyers’ needs. For example while I like typography projects, I don’t see why they’re so popular… and on the flip side, I’ve been one of just a few buyers for projects I thought were absolutely top-notch, surprised to not see high sales for.

It’s tough to understand or predict what’ll sell well and what won’t, I completely agree. I do survey customers regularly (every few months at least) to try and understand what they will buy, but it’s hard to sell stuff in this economy. Well at least I try and buy a lot here, because many of you are very talented, which I deeply appreciate – you folks inspire me to be more creative and ‘raise my game’ as well, so thanks.

To success,

-k

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

vegas rocks

1269 posts
graphic4444 says

Sorry – as someone who’s sold a lot online (fulltime since ‘99), I can categorically say it doesn’t matter how much time or energy you put into making a project, all that matters is What Buyers Want (also I used to be a top corporate sales trainer, many years ago, for big and small companies).

You can put 30000 hours into making an amatuerish pos and nobody will buy. Who cares how much time and energy you put into it? There’s a lot of people who spend hours making youtube videos and get no money for them. So what. All that matters is Meeting Customers’ Needs.

Think of it like hollywood movie producers do—they produce mostly formulaic repeated types of movies, because they know what sells. They don’t want to put a lot of time, money and work into things the market doesn’t want, even if some producer has a creative vision to do so. That doesn’t mean it’s right, but that’s the way the commercial economy works, particularly nowadays when everyone’s watching their spending carefully. Do what sells. What buyers want. Be creative yes, but do it in a world-class professional way.

The market rewards professionally-designed projects. That’s why it’s good to pay attention to the bestselling projects and see what they did Right, that buyers like me are looking for. It’s a hard fact of life, and it’s worth learning sooner rather than later. Listening to your customers pays. (Speaking from experience, I’ve made the mistake of putting a lot of energy into things that don’t sell, in addition to having big successes as well… it’s being customer-focused that counts). In business it’s the size of your “ears”, how carefully you pay attention to the marketplaces’ voice, that determines sales success.

I can afford to spend many thousands of dollars here, which I have, because I have made a lot of profits in my businesses by listening to my customers, carefully surveying them…. there’s a lesson there.

Make a sign for your desk that says, and repeat it each morning, “All That Matters Is Meeting My Customers’ Needs”. You do that, and your customers will meet yours. Words to live by.

-k

(feel free to chime in, Mark… :) )

by
by
by
by
by
by