5306 posts Interactive Design
  • Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says

how would you go about applying HTML formatting and adding hyperlinks if the image description is coming the image file name?

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says

so the way your creative template has been coded it only works with camelCase – but with a rework of the code it could be possible for it to read lowercase with underscore naming convension correct?... also why would your file names even get close to the 255 character limit? again curious :)

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says

besides the fact the camelCase does work on most servers and that you now have to change the way you rename files… what is the main issue with naming files in lowercase? what advantage does camelCase have over lowercase with underscore? or is it just more aesthetically pleasing to the eye… just curious :)

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says

you know Chuck you are right and Flash Den got it wrong… can someone get Chuck a site managers badge asap? :)

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says

well it’s clearly an issue which is why FD decided to write a whole blog about it and enforce the new rule “Web servers are case-sensitive and, although a file may work locally, it is not guaranteed that it will work on a server.”

and it’s probably not about avoiding typos – either way it’s going to happen – they just trying to avoid the case-sensitive issue.

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says
I think it’s not so much the issues with servers, FD probably just wants consistency in naming conventions across all files uploaded.

why? and if you have to then why not pick THE standard method. Also what`s the point in having a convention if you have to make exceptions for ubiquitous files.

if you ever did a web design course at an institution or worked for a design agency they would’ve taught you to always use lowercase and underscore for spaces for naming files for both local and online files…. well that’s from my experience anyway which is why I still use the same naming conventions to this day.

camelcase is something borrowed from variable naming conventions.

keep in mind some buyers don’t know much about flash so the more we can help them with getting their files to work on their server – the better and less work for us authors.

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says

FD probably also wants some consistency in naming conventions across all files uploaded.

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says
yeah except:

- what about opensource files.. swfObject etc

if you read the blog it says “The other exception is AC_RunActiveContent.js. This is the only file that is actually uploaded to the server that can use capital letters.”

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says

just don’t use caps lock when you naming a file – no big deal

• Elite Author
  • Author Level 10
  • Trendsetter
  • Top Monthly Author
+11 more
digitalscience
says

I think so too 50….I never thought I’d see illustrations of female reproductive organs on FlashDen – just glad they are not animated lol :)

by
by
by
by
by
by