Love it. Kind of makes me want to dunk my head in purple. How long did it take you to make?
Shouldn’t be long for the email, I just got it now. Gonna have to start looking closer at my credit card statements
What beautiful timing. Adobe just sent an email to reset passwords.
I’ve got 16gb at the moment… unfortunately the iMac I’m working on maxes out at 16. Multiprocessing is turned off. I’ve tried with it and there doesn’t seem to be a difference in this case. Right now I’m trying to work out different ways to link my expressions, trying to centralize them more. Looks like I’ll need to compromise somewhere and maybe drop some automated functionality.
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed @Massfocus this is yet again one of the many hard lessons I’ve learned this year… I was definitely overzealous in my approach. @felt_tips Next time around, I’ll be breaking the project up into smaller ones like you suggested. Unfortunately that would be next to impossible in this case, and baking them or using proxies would break the functionality of the project. The project is a pretty heavy character rig so it makes it really difficult for me to take off features once I’ve implemented them. I’m sitting with my stopwatch troubleshooting the Locking Existing Frames ram preview lag that’s stuck at 1m18s before rendering.Some funny discoveries I’ve made so far:
- The lag disappears entirely when there is no audio in the project (or muted ram previews)
- The lag remains with audio when I delete all effects and expressions
- The lag disappears with audio (mostly, to 0m15s) when there are less than 400 comps
Well thanks for the suggestions guys. After a bit of tinkering, it looks like both issues 1 and 2 are coming from simply having too many compositions in the project panel… I guess it’s just too much for the software to handle. 482 comps total with 5000+ expressions… I went back on previous iterations and found that major slow-downs started happening at around 400 comps. hmmm now to reduce this project somehow I wonder if there’s a cutoff point or a safe zone, any ideas?
Interesting idea @EFEKT , I wish I could divide it up but all the compositions are interlinked in with expressions… Maybe I can look further into that though.
As for the ram idea, I wish it made a difference. I have 16gb of ram and I get the same results when opening the project in CS4, CS5 and CS6 with or without multiprocessing (but in CS6 the AE user interface buttons and navigation becomes slow, oddly).
There aren’t any 3D layers in this project btw. I wonder if it has to do with the amount of layers with expressions applied you can have in a single composition. Maybe it makes a difference if I pre-comp batches of layers… uuuughhh looks like this will take a while to solve.
- Locking Existing Frames process takes a few minutes to load for the ram preview. The issue disappears when previews are muted, and when I delete all the audio.
- AE’s user interface works fine in CS4 but is very sluggish when opening the project in CS6. This happens when there are a few thousand expressions in the project.
Oh very cool @doru, thanks for the share. I didn’t know Surface was Wacom enabled… I’ve been using the Asus EP121 as an ultra-mobile solution and low-performance testing platform for a few years but it maxes out at 4gb of ram and has a pitiful battery life, which makes AE annoying to work in. Still a pretty awesome device in its own right though. What’s cool about the tablet pc option is that you can create on screen ui buttons to simulate cintiq functionality with autohotkey scripts. Not ideal but still interesting…
Just read on Ars Technica that the new Surface pro will have 8gb of ram so I’ll be taking a closer look at that in October.